Poker wheel (1 Viewer)

FortyMorty

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I have been tasked with manning a booth at the local church fair. I need to make this poker wheel in to an enjoyable carnival game. Any ideas?
595F6C62-AE4D-4F5D-92D7-12D35A6A45DF.jpeg

In years past they used the painted board, hitting quads was how a player won. I’m willing to make a new board for the players to place their bets on.
E08CFDFF-C5AB-498B-A3AD-C9B4EF825D2F.jpeg

If the quads game of "Bet card X, if XXX hits on the wheel, you win" gets lots of action, I see no reason to change it. 999 JJJ and KKK appear four times each, TTT QQQ and AAA only three times each, so the T, Q, and A are the super "sucker" bets I suppose. For every 48 units wagered, the house nets on average 41 units, so the house advantage is over 85%.

If you wanted to add some variety, you could also add one more bet, the "Straight" bet. 9TJ and QKA, the "straights" are seven of the 48 spaces. A bet here wins if one of those two spaces hits. House advantage is still over 70%.

I only see three cards per stop. Where do quads come into play?

If somebody else wants to play with the odds and the game, I'll save you the work.

999 four
99T three
9TT four
9TJ three

TTT three

JAA four
JJJ four
JJQ three

QQQ three
QQK three
QKA four

KKK four
KKA three

AAA three

9 7-3-4 25x
T 6-4-3 23x
J 7-3-4 25x
Q 7-3-3 22x
K 7-3-4 25x
A 7-4-3 24x

Trips (bet a T, hit TTX for example) is a push.

Straights are four cards (bet a Q, spin 9TJ). Straights and Quads pay 1:1 (keep your bet + win your bet). Maybe make quads aces pay more (because quad aces can't hit a straight).

I haven't done the math, but I think this might reduce a house edge because a queen can hit a straight or quads.

Maybe make two queen and two jack spaces -- one for a straight and one for trips/quads.

Maybe make people pick two cards. And the best hand after the three card flop (spin) wins 15% of the total wagered? That makes it obvious what the house edge is, tho. And also could lead to multiway chops if no one hits the flop/spin solid. Might be too confusing. I just thought paying one big winner instead of a few small winners may be more attractive.

Maybe run a trial and see what works.

Last edited:
You could play this just like the wheel that have dice. Player places a bet like 25¢ on a spot (9 thru A). Let’s assume we bet on the Jack. Spin the wheel. If it lands on a spot with three Jacks, player wins 3 quarters, two Jacks wins 2 quarters, 1 Jack wins 1 quarter, no Jacks loses. When the player wins, they keep their original bet as well.

You could play this just like the wheel that have dice. Player places a bet like 25¢ on a spot (9 thru A). Let’s assume we bet on the Jack. Spin the wheel. If it lands on a spot with three Jacks, player wins 3 quarters, two Jacks wins 2 quarters, 1 Jack wins 1 quarter, no Jacks loses. When the player wins, they keep their original bet as well.
House advantage here is about 10/48, or a little under 20%

Trips (bet a T, hit TTX for example) is a push.

Straights are four cards (bet a Q, spin 9TJ). Straights and Quads pay 1:1 (keep your bet + win your bet). Maybe make quads aces pay more (because quad aces can't hit a straight).

I haven't done the math, but I think this might reduce a house edge because a queen can hit a straight or quads.

Maybe make two queen and two jack spaces -- one for a straight and one for trips/quads.

Maybe make people pick two cards. And the best hand after the three card flop (spin) wins 15% of the total wagered? That makes it obvious what the house edge is, tho. And also could lead to multiway chops if no one hits the flop/spin solid. Might be too confusing. I just thought paying one big winner instead of a few small winners may be more attractive.

Maybe run a trial and see what works.
Any coders on here? Someone could probably throw together a simulator in Python fairly quickly.

What do people usually bet with on this game? Quarters? Bills? Little kid puts a dime on her favorite card, the queen?

It's a church fundraiser. K.I.S.S. For both the parishoners and the game operators.
I don't disagree, but once you have a model, you can play around and see if there are any minor changes you can make to spice the game up a bit.

I see two games here.

Keep the quads game, payouts are scant, house advantage is 80%, there are no winners except the house. Over 90% of bets lose, so there will be very little excitement or action I imagine.

Or, game two, you win if your card shows up, no matter how many times. So the 9 pays 1:1 on any of the fourteen spaces that show a 9. 9TJ pays the 9 the same as 999. This is still easy to understand, to play, and to payout. House advantage drops, however, to around 40%. Payouts get a little more complicated on say the 9TJ space, but not unbearably so. You'll get a little more action here because more people will win more often (almost 30% of bets here are winners on average). I don't know if that will translate to more money for the church, however. But it would be more fun for the crowd and the dealer I'm guessing.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom