Poker tips for beginners. (1 Viewer)

NasAssassin

Sitting Out
Reaction score
How about a thread for us newbies out there, looking to become pro poker players and have bundles of fun on the way there.
Share any tips and tricks that you've acquired on your journey to become the pokemon -err I mean poker- master!

If you are really, really new then I would recommend not playing for (large) sums of cash initially. It sounds obvious but I feel I should say it anyway. You might be unfamiliar with the rules and you could simply get scammed. It is not particularly likely I admit. However, I would still advise being safe if you are not playing with family and friends. Anyway, it does no harm to restrict yourself at first. You can move onto higher stake games whenever you feel ready.

This is a great idea for a thread.

I think the biggest reason people don't play is they don't know how, or don't know enough to play confidently.

I got interested in poker when I was a kid because everyone played -- on TV, movies, at home, in the neighborhood. It was a social thing, and nobody wore Carerra sunglasses and hoodie and talked trash. If you won, you won. If you lost, so what!

I think people are intimidated today.

I'd love to see a group -- maybe here -- put together a basic poker "class" for new players who want to learn the right way to play.

My main tip would be: fold more, and don't try to bluff your way through when there's no chance.

If you are really, really new then I would recommend not playing for (large) sums of cash initially

This made me laugh. Play with people who are a lot more experienced than you for fun. Just play hands, just practice. Pick their brains, ask them questions.

If you are really, really new then I would recommend not playing for (large) sums of cash initially. It sounds obvious but I feel I should say it anyway. You might be unfamiliar with the rules and you could simply get scammed. It is not particularly likely I admit. However, I would still advise being safe if you are not playing with family and friends. Anyway, it does no harm to restrict yourself at first. You can move onto higher stake games whenever you feel ready.
Yeah that first statement should be the biggest rule there is to poker, most people lose quite a lot of cash through not knowing how to play, and attempting to wing it through.

Lol i should probably follow this tip. When I first started playing I remember I sort of just went with it. Me getting so lucky ended up winning $150 at the end of the day, talk about beginners luck.

If you are a complete newbie, I recommend playing online in conjunction with a list of the hands in order to get what wins when, how blinds work and so on.

But just know that playing online and playing in real life are two completely different things. You should try to play with friends and/or relatives and for low amounts. If you aren't playing for cash, there really isn't a point in playing poker in person, besides when you make a mistake, you'll be sure that you don't make it twice.

What about online tutorials? And good sites for learning how to play, learning some tips and tricks you wouldn't otherwise know about?

Lol i should probably follow this tip. When I first started playing I remember I sort of just went with it. Me getting so lucky ended up winning $150 at the end of the day, talk about beginners luck.

I know how that feels. I also had a very similar experience while gambling on my night out with my friends.
I am still a rookie but I can tell you that a night like that won't happen again.

I'm definitely far from pro, but when I started playing in high school me and a bunch of other guys would play at 20c big blind. We were all devoted truants, and we did this almost daily and I would often times go to school with 5$, eat, drink and buy cigarettes and come home with 25$. lol good times.
Come to think of it, I was quite the delinquent.

I think one of the best things you can do for yourself, is go out and play with people you don't know. It's weird at first, but the more you do it the more it becomes like second nature. You learn to read people better that way, you also can learn a lot about yourself as a player. Your tells, what you get suckered in for, and it overall is just a great way to practice.. and lose money :p. But you can sometimes find tournaments that aren't for actual $$$ at like gaming conventions etc. I got my first real taste of playing vs other people, at a D&D convention in LA when I was 19, lol.

My main tip would be: fold more, and don't try to bluff your way through when there's no chance.

Great tips and I would agree with both of them. I'd add to plan your hand. So many people start trying to figure out what to do when someone makes a move on them. You should already have a plan for when that happens. When you see people going into the tank for 10 minutes it means they put themselves in a bad spot pretty much and didn't plan their hand. Try to think a few steps ahead.

Agree with the advice given, and would add to seek outa few local bar tournaments, ones that run for low entries, around $20-25.

pick up a few books on the subject and study them, it will give you a good idea of the things you should be thinking about during the hand, then play as much as you can, go back and read some more, continue the process. Poker only takes a few minutes to learn how to play and a lifetime to master

This^^
pick up a few books on the subject and study them, it will give you a good idea of the things you should be thinking about during the hand, then play as much as you can, go back and read some more, continue the process. Poker only takes a few minutes to learn how to play and a lifetime to master
Read a beginners book to understand the basics (odds & outs, start hands, position etc.). Then start playing for small stacks and try to follow what you've learned in the books. Get the next book, read, play and so on.

PS: Don't try to imitate your poker heroes from tv. Won't work against normal folks :)

Books on the fundamentals are good. What's good nowadays is you can watch videos too. There are many great poker minds making videos these days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom