Poker table smells like cigarette smoke (1 Viewer)

Yenaled

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I got used table from this guy on kijiji and it smells like cigarette smoke. Any advice on cleaning it/ getting the smell out?

Wipe down any hard surfaces (inc vinyl) with Mr. Clean (dilute according to instructions) or some other relatively strong detergent, but keep it away from the felt. You might be able to clean the felt with a damp cloth. Then Febreze, Zep, or some other odor eliminator (don't use an air freshener)

Sunlight will help, but spray it with Zep before, works wonders
https://www.amazon.com/Zep-Smoke-Odor-Eliminator-ZUSOE16/dp/B00RH46PME?th=1

Wipe down any hard surfaces (inc vinyl) with Mr. Clean (dilute according to instructions) or some other relatively strong detergent, but keep it away from the felt. You might be able to clean the felt with a damp cloth. Then Febreze, Zep, or some other odor eliminator (don't use an air freshener)

The Zep description says not to use on upholstery or fabric, so may need Febreze too.

Wow. I can’t believe the votes for Febreeze. Nicotine is a bacteria and needs to cleaned/removed, not covered up. I prefer the smell of smoke to Febreze any day and I HATE the smell of smoke! I find car air fresheners, etc., extremely offensive to my olfactory glands.

leave the table in the sun and fresh air could work, but nicotine attaches itself to cloth and other porous items like wood and foam. I have left wood in a trash bag with coffee grounds for several weeks with good results (Miami Vice wasn’t just cool, the smugglers knew a thing or two about hiding odor!). the coffee seemed to work it’s odor into the wood.

use a fabric cleaner on the surface and scrub any vinyl, leather, wood, or metal with appropriate cleaners. I rarely purchase any item from a “smoke” house, which is ironic because the house we bought was a smoke house.

before moving in, I rented two commercial ionizers. It was a holiday weekend, so they charged be for 24 hours and let me have them for the weekend. Humans/pets could not be in the home, so every 12 hours, I returned and moved the machines throughout the home. We didn’t see anything walk or crawl in our home for 6 years. The machines killed everything, including most of the smoke. Humid days, I could smell it sweat out of the rafters, though no one else could.

Wow. I can’t believe the votes for Febreeze. Nicotine is a bacteria and needs to cleaned/removed, not covered up.

leave the table in the sun and fresh air could work, but nicotine attaches itself to cloth and other porous items like wood and foam.
Man, I'm really starting to question my biology and chemistry education...

Wasn't trying to be a dick, was wondering if maybe @joseywales meant that the smell comes from a bacteria that lives on nicotine or something.
Nicotine is pretty toxic to most life, including bacteria.

EDIT:
Or, perhaps not. The article talks about Staphylococcus aureus bacteria making a biofilm to perhaps protect themselves against it.

Last edited:
Wasn't trying to be a dick, was wondering if maybe @joseywales meant that the smell comes from a bacteria that lives on nicotine or something.

Nicotine is pretty toxic to most life, including bacteria.

EDIT:
Or, perhaps not. The article talks about Staphylococcus aureus bacteria making a biofilm to perhaps protect themselves against it.
Nicotine is a chemical found in milligram quantities in cigarettes. It's not at all responsible for the smell; that's the result of burning a bunch of dried tobacco. The absolutely miniscule amounts of nicotine that will be present in furniture of a room that's been smoked in aren't food for bacteria and certainly won't support bacterial growth.

If it's anything like carpet, baking soda should do it. You can YouTube about it and they mix other things in it too.

Didn’t mean to flare up the PCF chemists. It was a long time ago, 17 years, and I recalled the facts in a more broad sense and certainly can’t find that information. Here’s a statement I found that ties bacteria to the cigarette and perhaps.

“Fifteen classes of bacteria and a broad range of potentially pathogenic organisms were detected in all cigarette samples studied.”

Didn’t mean to flare up the PCF chemists. It was a long time ago, 17 years, and I recalled the facts in a more broad sense and certainly can’t find that information. Here’s a statement I found that ties bacteria to the cigarette and perhaps.

“Fifteen classes of bacteria and a broad range of potentially pathogenic organisms were detected in all cigarette samples studied.”
And I'm sure all of those bacteria survived being lit on fire. And then kept growing on the poker table they landed on. Eating nicotine.

Look, the smell of cigarettes has ZERO to do with bacteria. It's ok to just admit when you're wrong.

STRONGLY CONSIDER *NOT* putting the table in direct sunlight.

Outside in complete shade? Fine. Fresh air? Fine.

May I advise putting it in a room with open windows (or the garage)with an oscillating fan circulating outside air around it for a couple of days.

BUT NOT DIRECT SUNLIGHT.

If we're going to use science, then let's not expose wood, finish and upholstery to the most powerful broad spectrum emitting fusion reactor in the galaxy...SHALL WE !?

It would mean a lot to me on scientific, spiritual, social, and psycho-sexual levels.

It means even more to your table on structural, visual, molecular, and longevity levels.

*AND* I AM A PRICK.

Last edited:
Nicotine isn't responsible for the majority of cigarette smoke smell, but the substance does have an unpleasant odor. You can smell it on your hands and clothes after smoking, and it's also present when handling or using nicotine patches.

And I'm sure all of those bacteria survived being lit on fire. And then kept growing on the poker table they landed on. Eating nicotine.

Look, the smell of cigarettes has ZERO to do with bacteria. It's ok to just admit when you're wrong.
I never claimed to be right, or an expert. I thought my last post conceded that nicotine wasn’t bacteria, rather that the quote showed how I might have drawn that conclusion 17 years, when my level of give-a-shit was much higher on the topic. It has now reached zero.

I never claimed to be right, or an expert. I thought my last post conceded that nicotine wasn’t bacteria, rather that the quote showed how I might have drawn that conclusion 17 years, when my level of give-a-shit was much higher on the topic. It has now reached zero.

I didn't read your post as you intended, and so my response sounds much more dick-ish than it should be. Sorry about that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom