Poker Table Rail Size Preference (1 Viewer)

FDLmold

Royal Flush
Reaction score
If you were getting a custom table, what size would you prefer for the padded rail? Why?

With cup holders in the rail you will need 6".
I have had tables with 4", 5" & 6" and with or without cup holders without a doubt the 6" is the most comfortable and the best looking. IMO

I have 4" (oval) and 6" (ellipse), both without cup holders in the rail, and I actually prefer a 5" rail. I've built a couple of those with/for friends.

4" is fine, but after using a 5" and 6" reail, it feels like its not enough. On the other hand, a 6" rail feels a little like overkill and reduces the playing area slightly.

The 5" is plenty comfortable without being too big, IMO.

Last edited:
No cup holders. Cup holders are for drink carts and minivans. I was thinking 5” sounded about right.

I go with a 4" low-rider (1/4" happy bottom closed cell foam) for portable table toppers, and 5" width (1" hi-density foam from YAT) for standard table builds. Only time I'd consider using 6" is for a fixed table with rail cupholders.

For comparison here is a 4", 5" & 6"

20140927_220058804_iOS.jpg

I prefer 5 in.

I built a basic table for a customer a while back and he hated the 6 in rails so much I converted it to 5 in. It did not have cup holders.

I like 5" or 6", but recommend 6" for only the bigger tables (over 7 feet). Raised rail, too. Has anyone here done a raised rail exactly the height of a barrel? I was thinking this would be useful....

I like 5" or 6", but recommend 6" for only the bigger tables (over 7 feet). Raised rail, too. Has anyone here done a raised rail exactly the height of a barrel? I was thinking this would be useful....
I think this makes sense. Six inch rails on smaller tables look a little puffy.

Is the YAT foam open or closed cell?
Rail foam is typically open cell. Playing surface foam comes both ways; I only use open cell if covering it with a waterproof surface (like SSC).

I am thinking of a 5” rail on a 7x4’ table.
Not required by any means, but a 2:1 length to width ratio looks better visually imo. And I am a firm believer that 48" is too wide for a poker table.... much prefer 42"-44" max. All of my 7' tables are 84x42 overall, making the playing area 80" x 38" (2" rail overlap).

I am a firm believer that 48" is too wide for a poker table.... much prefer 42"-44" max. All of my 7' tables are 84x42 overall.

^ Agree 100% ^

84 x 42 to me is the most comfortable to play on.
The pic above with the cup holders is 84 x 42, the other two are 94x46 and aren't as easy to deal, rake chips, see, etc.

When I built my table I couldn't decide between a 5" or 6" rail, so I made it 5.5". I have cupholders though. Without them, I'd probably be fine with a 5" rail. 6" is too wide IMO.

I built a couple of early tables with a 4-1/2" rail, but tired of measuring everything in fractions. :unsure:;)

I've always liked the 6". More comfortable and is easier on the arms for long sessions. Plus you can rest your phone on it much better.

You ever mod at a place like forever... and then you bump into people that used to be on those forums... and they don’t remember you?

Yeah...

:unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom