Poker Strategy Podcasts? (1 Viewer)

MoscowRadio

Flush
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking to find some good poker strategy podcasts to listen to, especially while I'm building tables and other gear. It has to work on my iPhone. It passes the time pleasantly and it (hopefully) will improve my game! Any suggestions?

I have no experience in audio poker aids. But I can say that poker training requires your full attention to be of much use. I think my poker books required as much study as my engineering texts to get a full understanding of the concepts. So, if you are going to pay for pod casts, they are worthy of your full and undivided attention.

Yep, it is that much work -=- DrStrange

i've listened to bart hanson's podcasts for several years now and i've always found them to be of high quality. he has maybe a dozen key concepts and then maybe a few dozen secondary points that he makes repeatedly, so i do think you can probably get most of the core of his teaching listening to 25 or so episodes. i continue listening because it is a good and entertaining way to keep some of these concepts in mind. since live poker moves so slowly, the concepts don't come up often enough that you're likely to fully remember them as they occur in-game.

his current podcast is here and is subscription-based ($12.99/month for podcast only; higher price for both podcasts and videos). i don't know what he gives away in the way of sample episodes, but i'm sure there are at least one or two.

i would also echo Dr. Strange's advice above: often the hand histories and explanations get pretty dense and you can't really absorb and mentally participate in the exercise of thinking through hands as they're discussed if you're otherwise occupied.

I totally agree with both of you that poker theory and strategy requires your full attention. It's definitely easier to listen to theory than hand histories because those tend to get very in-depth. I didn't want suggestions only for when I'm building tables, but it's a nice change from listening to music the whole time. As I get tired I switch to podcasts. Maybe just the talking makes me a little more alert.

I joined the crush live poker site, they had a $15/month special at New Year's, gives access to all podcasts and videos and is now broken down into groups for recommended courses of study. I like it so far, and you can cancel any time. I've not done much in their strat threads but content is solid.

My brother listens to "Thinking Poker" with Andrew Brokos and Nate Meyvis, and he seems to think its pretty good. He's a nit, though (my brother, not sure about Brokos or Meyvis).

My brother listens to "Thinking Poker" with Andrew Brokos and Nate Meyvis, and he seems to think its pretty good. He's a nit, though (my brother, not sure about Brokos or Meyvis).

i've checked this one out as well and it is entertaining. it actually might be a better candidate for background noise during your table builds, Moscow.

but i was not really a fan of the strat that i heard. they seem to approach things from an online perspective and while it doesn't seem to give them problems at the table necessarily - i.e., they seem to tend to play well for the most part in their reporting - their analysis goes down a lot of rabbit holes that are just time wasters when putting together a strategy for live play.

i've checked this one out as well and it is entertaining. it actually might be a better candidate for background noise during your table builds, Moscow.

Thinking Poker is what I've been using as background noise actually. I would want to find a good subscription podcast for devoting my full attention to.

Look into the Deuce Plays podcasts from Bart Hanson. They're a little older, but free. This will give you a flavor of his style.

A little off topic, but you might like the podcasts Freakonomics and Planet Money. Not really poker, but they often deal with questions of cause and effect, unintentional consequences, complex scenarios - if you enjoy thinking about poker strategy, I think you're likely to enjoy these podcasts.

Look into the Deuce Plays podcasts from Bart Hanson. They're a little older, but free. This will give you a flavor of his style.

oh yeah i forgot all of those are still free. here's the link Moscow. the top podcast, "Why so much?" is indicative of his current format, which is to say strategy heavy and very few interviews. prior to that, he most did interviews with other players and strategy stuff interspersed.

however, some of those old interviews - particularly the ones with limon - are really entertaining and would work as background during the table builds.

I second the Bart Hanson podcasts. I haven't kept up with his new stuff, but there's something for most people to learn in every episode of * Plays (he also did Cash Plays), and it's not so dry and densely packed in that you need to be 100% focused on listening to it. Great for the car and working outside.

A little off topic, but you might like the podcasts Freakonomics and Planet Money. Not really poker, but they often deal with questions of cause and effect, unintentional consequences, complex scenarios - if you enjoy thinking about poker strategy, I think you're likely to enjoy these podcasts.

I'll definitely check it out!

Totally off topic but an absolute favorite Of mine are the Dan carlin podcasts. Hardcore history Is absolute genius and the common sense podcasts are always thought provoking. I only bring them up because they are what I listen to while working on tables

Totally off topic but an absolute favorite Of mine are the Dan carlin podcasts. Hardcore history Is absolute genius and the common sense podcasts are always thought provoking. I only bring them up because they are what I listen to while working on tables

Thanks for the suggestions. I have only just gotten into the world of podcasts, so I'm open to a lot of different subjects and genres.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have only just gotten into the world of podcasts, so I'm open to a lot of different subjects and genres.

Well, in that case... I think the best-produced and most thought-provoking podcast is RadioLab, hands down. They tend to run with "big questions," and take a storytelling approach to them. One of the two hosts, Jad, who is also the main producer, is actually trained as a composer; the flow of the podcast, and the sounds/silences/etc. used, make for an excellent story-telling experience.

If we are going off topic, I have listened to the Coverville podcast for years. Coverville is a weekly (used to be bi-weekly) podcast produced and hosted by Brian Ibbot that focuses on cover songs. I'm not giving the description nearly enough justice, but if you like cover songs, or different music in general this would be one worth listening to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom