Poker scene in original Magnum P.I. (1 Viewer)

Taghkanic

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have been binge-watching the old Magnum, P.I. with Tom Selleck, which was a favorite of mine as a kid.

Season 2 Episode 18 features a high-stakes poker game on a yacht, with raises and reraises of 5K, 10K, 50K.

They play 5-card draw, 5- or 6-handed. Some of the action is... less than correct or probable.

The chips appear to be brightly colored solids, with something gold in the center ring. At first I thought they were Starbursts, but the gold looks more like a gold coin, label-over, or other gold insert.

I’ll try to post some screenshots later.

Last edited:
I have it on Plex so here’s a couple of screenshots from my phone.

Is this what you were looking for?
C087E800-7033-474B-948C-5E7FA426B8C0.png

C89E870F-264B-4AD2-86CC-720CFB359AAA.png

The scene where she’s scooping that big pot is silly. She’s dealing, and says she’ll draw just one card. The host comments on her suspiciously fast way of dealing. She shows him her gutshot straight draw, then invites him to “cut the deck” and deal her last card—which he does, giving her the 6 for a straight.

Anyway, if you have fond memories of Magnum, I bought the entire run for like $80 from Apple. It’s about 250 episodes, or less than 30 cents each. That’s a lot of entertainment for the money. The plots and characters are ridiculous, but good fun; the stars all grow on you. And spotting various dated 80s products and fashions keeps up interest even in the slower episodes.

Classic
Theme music was awesome too!

Interesting note... The first 6-8 episodes have different theme music. The now-classic Magnum theme only appeared here and there during certain action scenes in those early episodes. Finally someone wised up and moved it to the opening credits for the duration.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom