Poker rule book recommendations (1 Viewer)

yone

Straight
Reaction score
I’m looking for a poker rule book to help settle any drama that can happen. I feel if it’s written, even a player that gets the short end of the deal will feel it’s a fair decision. Hopefully this would include mistakes made by dealers and odd situations. The main game we play is holdem. Appreciate any helpful suggestions!

Awesome, short simple unanimous solution! Thanks guys!

Great thread! Was thinking about this the other day. Where did you guys find those books (I can't find them on Amazon)?

Here's an excerpt from Bob Ciaffone's website with Word and PDF downloads.
I am the leading authority on poker rules. You can view, copy, and use the best set of cardroom poker rules in the world, all at no charge. I am making my new rulebook Robert's Rules of Poker available for free to promote the game of poker. This document is 60 pages, about 200 kilobytes. Version 11 is the latest version, compatible with the Tournament Directors Association poker rules (with one exception), and available now. To download a digital copy of the poker rules in Microsoft Word format, click here. (Then use the "file" and "save as" commands.)

I'd recommend taking a read through and adding/striking any rules that you've adapted over the years. I've also gone through and bolded some sections that I've found can be a common source of confusion.

As an example here's my league's rulebook, on page 35 I have a section that summarizes the changes made. Works well for a quick reference.

Thanks, I didn’t know which site was the best one to get it from.

I prefer RRoP (Robert's Rules of Poker) for cash games while I use TDA (Tournament Director's Association) for tournaments.

Me too!

Check the links in my signature. I like to use the comprehensive texts as a supplement to the house rules. Feel free to take any ideas.

List of my exceptions to RRoP (I've added these to the end of my printed set of RRoP):
§ 1 – PROPER BEHAVIOR: TOBACCO USE (pg. 2)
All smoking will be outdoors only.
§ 2 – HOUSE POLICIES: PROCEDURES: Rule 17 (pg. 4)
Limit will not be changed if even one player objects.
§ 2 – HOUSE POLICIES: PROCEDURES: Rule 27 (pg. 4)
Guests allowed at all games.
§ 2 – HOUSE POLICIES: SEATING: Rule 1 (pg. 4)
Call-ins are fine.
§ 3 – GENERAL POKER RULES: BETTING AND RAISING: Rule 4(a) (pg. 7)
Four raises are allowed.
§ 4 – BUTTON AND BLIND USE: RULES FOR USING BLINDS: Rule 2(a) (pg. 9)
Moving button used in ring (cash) games.
§ 4 – BUTTON AND BLIND USE: RULES FOR USING BLINDS: Rule 2(b) (pg. 9)
Dead button used in tournament games.
§ 4 – BUTTON AND BLIND USE: RULES FOR USING BLINDS: 7 (pg. 10)
A player may “buy the button” in this position.
§ 8 – SEVEN-CARD STUD: RULES OF SEVEN-CARD STUD: Rule 6 (pg. 12)
Four raises are allowed.
§ 14 – NO LIMIT AND POT-LIMIT: POT-LIMIT RULES: Rule 4 (pg. 20)
Chips will be rounded up to betting chip values.

I use Robert's rules as well, but make sure that you put in whatever policies you want for what constitutes a betting line and what you policy will be about chips that are in the hand when the betting line is crossed. Angle shooting can and does happen all the time. My rule that I added is that your cards are the betting line. If they are out in front of you that, A. makes the game easier for the dealer so that everybody knows who is in the hand, B. Gives plenty of space behind the cards to count out bets and raises.

Yes I agree a forward motion rule is important. But I will give the exact example of what happened to put my betting line rule in. A forward motion with chips in hand to in front of the player about 3 chip stack width out. Player counts chips out, leaves them in front of him, looks up at the player, then goes back to his stack and counts out another stack. Stacks both together and then pushed the stack into the pot. Which forward motion is construed as the action? When he released the chips the first time even though they weren't pushed out of his hand towards the pot? Is there a leniency towards the player not having room to count the chips out? Is every chip in his hand binding even if he is counting out a raise? All of those things need to be in your rule book.

I don't think stacking chips is a forward motion if done in front the of the player's stack. But pushing them into the pot would be the forward motion that counts in your description.

If you put the betting line in, you are inviting all kinds of motions that will not count if players deliberately stop short of the line.

Last edited:
You can always do both... Significant forward motion behind the line or any chips over the line. I like the cards are betting line rule as it makes people leave their cards on the table. Nothing more annoying than the guy who is constantly picking cards up and flashing them to his neighbor

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom