Poker Kitchen Table (1 Viewer)

domynation

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker here, I finally decided to create an account to make my very post, so here it is!

My old (rather cheap/low end) foldable poker table gave in last week and I decided it was time to upgrade my game and get a decent table. That said, with the kids growing up and taking more space and my relatively small house, I decided to try and go for a two-in-one kitchen/poker table.

My goal would be to have a nice mid-high end poker table with an epoxy river wooden tabletop. I already found the wood artisan who will craft the tabletop, and I got a guy for the custom poker table, both of which suggest my project is doable.

This will be my first custom table, which I think is going to cost me quite a bit of money, enough to want to make sure I’m doing this right.

So with all that being said, I figured I’d ask here if anyone has done a similar project in the past, and if so are there key things/characteristics I should watch out for before I move forward with the project?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Look for @T_Chan's posts. He builds magnificent tables and I'm sure he's posted pictures of his tables with a dining table topper.

What shape are you going for? Round or elongated?

A high end table is the absolute best upgrade for a host.

No racetrack, please and thank you.

I’m also not a fan of racetracks, glad I’m not alone I feel they remove too much playing surface.

Look for @T_Chan's posts. He builds magnificent tables and I'm sure he's posted pictures of his tables with a dining table topper.

What shape are you going for? Round or elongated?

A high end table is the absolute best upgrade for a host.

Thank you, I just glanced at his tables and they’re amazing, I’m looking for something similar in terms of quality. I’ll definitely look at more of his posts later.

I’m looking for an oval table (roughly 7 foot long) with a dealer spot & tray.

My two main concerns are related the dinning tabletop:

1. Removing it will likely not be easy alone, especially in my situation with a wooden table top. I assume it’s a two-man job? Are there any ways to make that easier to handle alone or am I dreaming?

2. From what I’m told, the dining top will hold using little legs that rest within the cupholders. Is there a risk the dining top might be unstable and necessitate leveling/adjusting over time?

Thanks for the feedback.

I was under the impression that the support had to be done from the cupholder to avoid the leather cushion from being crushed under the weight of the dinning top. I’m probably missing something, pardon my ignorance but what is this rail you’re referring to?

A well made dining top just sits and distributes its weight over the entire rail. Legs in cup holders are an unnecessary complication.

Wouldn’t all this weight crush/damage the leather cushion? Am I missing something ?

I built my first table 20 years ago and made it a race track because it was the easiest way to do it with cup holders. I really wanted to make a table with the cup holders in the rail. I wouldn’t build one that way now but keep the one I have because I made it with my Grandfather who passed away 10 years ago.

That said there are some advantages
  • Built in betting line
  • Easy to put in cup holders
  • Flat spot to keep your stacks
  • You can make multiple centers and swap them out.
  • Non poker people think they are fancier

Wouldn’t all this weight crush/damage the leather cushion? Am I missing something ?
I have no experience, but I would think this same thing. Sounds like they have it worked out, but I would want to hear a detailed explanation of why the table top won't damage the cushion in the rail.

If you use the correct high density foam for the rail and a good quality vinyl on the rail, it will withstand the weight of a normal table top. If your table top is made with the 2" maple hardwood with the epoxy river, that will be very heavy, but I'm confident that the rail will be fine. I've had my rail used for years with many heavy elbows and arms against it, and it has no compression issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom