Poker chip weight consistency? (1 Viewer)

TrackpantsD

Reaction score
I recently bought some Roulette chips from an online store. I already owned 4 colors of an 8.5 gram chip, and needed more colors for more players. I found 'Super Diamond' chips advertised as 8.5 gram that looked very similar to the ones I owned. However, the chips I received are weighing in at 7.1 grams and are noticeably thinner and smaller in diameter than the ones I already owned. Should I not expect the weight and size to be closer to the 8.5 grams advertised? The response from the store was... "The weight is just an estimate, that is across all chips anywhere you buy, we have that listed in policies, there is no way for factories to produce to exact weight at this price range in millions". I can understand some minor variance, but this feels dodgy to me... am I wrong?

I recently bought some Roulette chips from an online store. I already owned 4 colors of an 8.5 gram chip, and needed more colors for more players. I found 'Super Diamond' chips advertised as 8.5 gram that looked very similar to the ones I owned. However, the chips I received are weighing in at 7.1 grams and are noticeably thinner and smaller in diameter than the ones I already owned. Should I not expect the weight and size to be closer to the 8.5 grams advertised? The response from the store was... "The weight is just an estimate, that is across all chips anywhere you buy, we have that listed in policies, there is no way for factories to produce to exact weight at this price range in millions". I can understand some minor variance, but this feels dodgy to me... am I wrong?
Lol , they’re complete BS. In fact ; those factories that make this kind of chips are very consistent with weight/quality. (Not that they’re high quality by any means)Those chips are uniform and made with exact weight to each chip. More expensive chips like Paulsons , those usually vary in weight ( NOT in size nor quality ) but each chip weight can be different but it’s a very very small weight difference ( 0.1-0.3gram) because they’re handmade product
The story they telling you is hard to believe, I have weighted cheap Chinese chips , and they weight exactly the same. Not even 0.1gr difference

Last edited:
What they mean to say is "we couldn't be arsed to keep accurate information posted about our varying stock of mostly-interchangeable products, because maybe one in a hundred customers actually cares enough to weigh these things" so congratulations on being in the upper 1% !!

Like @Poppin92 said, any particular product from any particular factory is going to be very consistent. But different factories will manufacture different products which might resemble each other but be different in certain details, such as weight. Distributors will source their products from various factories, and retailers will source their inventory from various distributors. So a retailer might list "super diamonds" on their website, but when they sell out of their inventory and want to restock they might order a different product from a different distributor that's similar and so will also list it as "super diamonds" and just not bother to update the listing to note that the weight is different. They might also be thinner or thicker or be made from a different materials or have different colors or (even worse) different shades of the same colors.

The less generic a product is, the more likely it is to be consistent between retailers and across time, because a uniquely-branded product is more likely to be sourced from a single supplier. For example, probably all the Milanos you're going to come across, no matter who you get them from or when you get them, are going to be as close to identical as is reasonable (there will still be some variations, especially in color, because dye lots vary over time and it's very difficult, or rather very expensive, for manufacturers to make them perfectly consistent). But super diamonds are generic; they're made and sold by lots of different people.

"Super Diamonds" have been made, in some form or another, for a very long time, probably approaching 40-50 years. Modern Super Diamonds are probably quite consistent in their materials, size, and weight, but they won't match what was made a few decades earlier (or maybe even a few years earlier) by a different company, maybe even using a different molds or different processes.

Just about all mass-produced injection-molded cheap plastic chips are advertised as "genuine clay". The words themselves mean different things to different people with different perspectives. Not surprised that they will take liberties with advertised weights, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom