Poker Chip Racks (3D printed) (1 Viewer)

Cool print! What translucent filament did you use?
Just some basic translucent PLA filament I have from a while back. It's branded "3D Solutech", I think they list it as natural clear. I can't find where I bought it from but I assume Amazon. Prices vary so much over time though and the listing I see there now is too expensive (some $50 CAD) for what it is IMO. Prints pretty well but it does get brittle on the spool and when I load it up I usually have the last couple of inches break off where I clipped it to the reel for storage.

I suggest just searching for clear/translucent PLA on Amazon and checking out the reviews and customer images. Some clear filament actually looks a bit yellowed. PETG might be a better choice if you have experience printing that, I think it does translucent stuff a bit better than most PLA.

This is interesting. I lack some racks for all my chips. 3D printed substitutes might really be an option.
Please note that when I say chips I'm only talking about Paulsons.

I went through this thread and saw that some of you guys print with PLA and that PLA at least initially didn't do any harm to the chips.
Have you noticed any problems with wear on the chips now that you've been using your 3D printed parts for quite some time?

I still would like to know.
But it doesn't really matter anymore since I decided to sell my chips.

I still would like to know.
But it doesn't really matter anymore since I decided to sell my chips.

PLA racks do not damage the chips. If you stacked the chips many racks high, and if the PLA racks have sharp edges in them, then it could damage the chips given enough weight on top, but otherwise, no, it's not going to damage them.

Thank you for your input.
Of course you need to put some effort in your design to prevent from happening what you described.
I would be more afraid and concerned that the PLA could leave some sort if "residue" on the chips over time.

I would be more afraid and concerned that the PLA could leave some sort if "residue" on the chips over time.
Always depends on the specific brand/blend you are using. PLA is not PLA per se, every manufacturer kind of makes his own variety. Not much difference, but there is one. Same goes for many other popular 3D printing materials, like PET.

That said however, I have never experienced anything like that with hard plastic 3D printing materials such as PLA and PET myself yet. If you print rubber like TPU, maybe it can happen there. But you don't print chip racks with rubber.

I agree, there might be differnces between PLA and PETG brands.
You'd just have to try it.
But not with my Paulsons, I love my chips way too much to expose them to any kind of threat...

I'm a couple years late to the party here, but do you have models available for these racks?
They look great and I am very interested in printing out some of the 5x20's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom