Poker Chip Denominations (1 Viewer)

Maximo

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi all,

What are your opinions on using Tournament value poker chips (e.g: 25, 100, 500, 1000 etc) in a cash poker game? I feel as though the lack of currency figures allow them to be more versatile, 25 could be 2.5p? 25p? £25? Also, pound and penny symbol chips and very difficult to find. I want to play micro stake games with friends and family and have just bought a pack of Juego ceramics which appear great and I have 100 pro embossed 25s which I got cheap. My plan is to use the 25's as 2.5p, 5p BB, is this feasible and how would this work when cashing out? Round up/down the half denomination? I've been playing 5p / 10p stakes (£10 buy in) with family but when Covid restrictions lift my friends, University students, will probably only be comfortable putting in £5 which works as I would like to play often. I feel as though the 2.5/5p stakes, £5 Buy in will work well: 20 25's, 5 100's, 4 500's & 2 1000's (Divide by 10 to get penny amount) but need advice on the half penny denoms or alternatives.

Thankyou for your responses in advance.

Go for it.

A hybrid set is the way a lot of beginning chippers begin. It works in casual games with folks you trust and is cost effective.

It's what I did with my first and favorite ASM set.

What are your opinions on using Tournament value poker chips (e.g: 25, 100, 500, 1000 etc) in a cash poker game? I feel as though the lack of currency figures allow them to be more versatile

I do agree this much, I don't think currency symbols belong on tournament chips to say the least.

But as the others say, we tend to separate tournament from cash sets. Especially because really efficient tournament sets can be quite lean.

25 could be 2.5p? 25p? £25? Also, pound and penny symbol chips and very difficult to find.

I'm not a huge fan of dividing denominations for cash sets, it just introduces a failure point in the banking process the host just shouldn't risk, not to mention potential for confusion among players. But I definitely understand, micro denominations are hard to find outside of customs.

If you are stuck with fractions the bank can't cash, the simplest thing is to round down, but make that known in advance the house is going to keep the break. The other thing to do is at the end of the night, just do a race or deal a single hand for all the odd chips for what's in the bank.

Hope this helps, welcome to PCF. You are probably going to get more than you bargain for here :).

All of my sets are hybrid sets.

I have cash value chips .25/1/5/ (varies 10/20/25)/100/500/1000/5000
My idea is that the set is common for a consistent theme for the night of play. Chips should never cross the table from tournament to cash games on the same day (EVER!). Or you run the risk at some point in your games of having to bust someone from bringing in an outside chip or crossing a chip from one table to the other (not how i'd like to lose friends).

So for tournaments you could play 25/100/500/1000/5000 etc
then when players bust out
play
.25/1/5/10/20 or alternative 25's/100's

you could have a set that has a denomination on it without $ signs or non denominational chips or the specific $ value it doesn't really matter the main issue is playing a $25 chip in a tournament and then someone knowingly putting a some aside for the later cash game....... when your bank is short $25+ at the end of the night it doesn't feel nice.
but there are ways to avoid problems if you can only have 1 set and that is just the way it is.... you must do a total count of chips prior to reissue to avoid discrepancy's.

The set below (while inexpensive) gets the idea of denominations but no cash values this the "25" could play as a quarter or $25 or whatever. This will let you hold games of various types, just be careful running different types of games in the same day/event per above comments.

prestige-poker-chips-all-chips.jpg

On the other hand, this is the Poker Chip Forum, not the Poker Chip Collectors' Forum. We're here to offer knowledge and advice on the topic and hopefully have more to say than "lol just keep buying chips".

Multiplying and dividing face value to change the stakes is fine. Some folks here don't like it, but others have done it without issue. Just make sure you use the same multiplier for all the chips, so that a 25 is 2.5p and a 100 is 10p, for example. Don't mix a 25 as 2.5p with a 5 as 5p, as that would cause no end of confusion. For cashing out, declare in advance that you'll be rounding down to the nearest pound, or ten pence, or penny if you'd like to bother with that level of change. After the last hand is dealt for the night, whoever is still around can play a single flip and the winner takes home any extra change. Make it easy on yourself and don't worry about half-pennies; as I understand it the ha'penny went out with thruppence fifty years ago.

This denomination breakdown, though:

>20 25's, 5 100's, 4 500's & 2 1000's

This wouldn't be regarded favorably here. If you're playing no-limit hold'em, you probably want fewer of the smallest denomination and more of the next two denominations, unless your players do a lot of calling pre-flop without raising. If you're playing fixed-limit games, you might prefer to have a lot more of the lowest denomination so as to have a table full of chips, which is fun! and skip the next denomination entirely, although in my opinion you could play a fixed-limit game with that breakdown just fine.

Thanks for your reply, I've been convinced to separate my copag 300 set for cash as 5/10 p stakes have worked nicely so far. What did you mean when you said "really efficient tournament sets can be quite lean."? Does this mean you can have more players with fewer chips, as I'm dedicating the following set to purely tournament, how many players could I have with the attached 100 set?

Screenshot_20210326-184035.png
I do agree this much, I don't think currency symbols belong on tournament chips to say the least.

But as the others say, we tend to separate tournament from cash sets. Especially because really efficient tournament sets can be quite lean.

I'm not a huge fan of dividing denominations for cash sets, it just introduces a failure point in the banking process the host just shouldn't risk, not to mention potential for confusion among players. But I definitely understand, micro denominations are hard to find outside of customs.

If you are stuck with fractions the bank can't cash, the simplest thing is to round down, but make that known in advance the house is going to keep the break. The other thing to do is at the end of the night, just do a race or deal a single hand for all the odd chips for what's in the bank.

Hope this helps, welcome to PCF. You are probably going to get more than you bargain for here :).

A ten player T10K starting stack base T25 set can be done in 300 chips.

80/80/40/80/20 of T25/100/500/1000/5000 chips will cover 10 starting stacks of 8/8/4/7 with extras for color ups or re-entries.

That's the short answer, plenty of digital ink has been spilled on tournament breakdowns on PCF already.

Never ever use the same chips for both cash and tournament on the same night, under the same roof. Even among family.
You could marginally use the same set for a single-table game (eiher cash or tourney) among people closest to you, but not on the same night/session.

What is different (and secure) is having both cash and tournament chips cost the same to buy-in.
So, if your T5-based, T2,000 tourney costs $20 to buy-in, you could use the same chips for cash, with the denoms representing cents.
You could do the same with a T25-based, T10,000 tourney set, if your tourney buy-in is $100.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom