Poker chip cleaning (2 Viewers)

Mls26cwru2

Pair
Reaction score
So just floating an idea out there...

Is there any interest in a chip cleaning service? I have access to some equipment and could feasibly use it to clean chips on a relativity large scale. I could do a cleaning or a cleaning and oiling on a per chip or pet batch fee.

The question is, what would people be interested in paying for said service and at what price?

Feedback and thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks,
Mike

I might be interested depending on price and method of cleaning. Is this US or by hand?
Mechanical... I have access to industrial ultrasonic cleaning equipment that would be used to clean said chips.

I have used it on my paulsons, and cleaned then very well.

I will be looking into being able oil chips to buy that's down the road at the moment... just wondering what kind of interest is out there and at what prices. :)

How much time would it take for you to clean 500 chips? 1000? 2000? I think that may give us a better understanding of the level of effort which could help to put a price on it. What about oiling?

I would think up to 2000 I could turn around in a day for the cleaning. Maybe the oiling too, but that I still have to work out.

The test on my paulson chips was surprisingly good with no visable damage. Punched through 100 chips within 20 minutes.

Cleaned but un-oiled

Attachments

• 20211118_201721.jpg
    20211118_201721.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 223
  • 20211118_201710.jpg
    20211118_201710.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Dirty... when I got them I wasn't so sure I wanted to use them because of how dull the yellow ones appeared.... now the yellows really pop, and they are not even oiled!

That is a fantastic result. If you don’t mind my asking, how long did you leave them in the US? Also, did it require any cleaning agent to be added? If it’s an industrial class US, wondering if it’s strong enough to just clean the chips with no chemical (TSP, etc)

Those chips look great!

A lite detergent was used. And a few minutes... although I'm sure that would be determined by the type of funk on the chip

I hate cleaning. It's tedious and takes forever. But I'm also cheap... Between the cost plus shipping both ways, I might want to use your service, but I probably wouldn't unless it's cheaper than I'm thinking it will be.

I hate cleaning. It's tedious and takes forever. But I'm also cheap... Between the cost plus shipping both ways, I might want to use your service, but I probably wouldn't unless it's cheaper than I'm thinking it will be.
I think that's the real hang up. If you were local, I'd pay a couple hundred to clean s couple thousand chips... But to do then both ways and pay for the service might not be cost effective unless you could do it for really cheap (which shouldn't).

I think that's the real hang up. If you were local, I'd pay a couple hundred to clean s couple thousand chips... But to do then both ways and pay for the service might not be cost effective unless you could do it for really cheap (which shouldn't).

If you're willing to spend a couple hundred, then you can get yourself your own ultrasonic cleaner, plus accessories, and effective detergent.

If you're willing to spend a couple hundred, then you can get yourself your own ultrasonic cleaner, plus accessories, and effective detergent.
This. Chippers need to establish relationships with others in their area. I have a milling rig. I've offered to others in the Houston area that they are welcome to come use my rig - and by the way - does anyone in the area have an US that I could use? We should all help each other out. No sense in 5 people who live near each other all having an US that they use a couple times a year.

I recently picked up 900 hot stamp chips that were funky. I used a 6L ultrasonic and warm tap water @40C with a ample squirt of dish soap. In batches of 20 for the grunge chips and ~100 for the rest in a simple clean all for ~1 to 4 minutes. The 5's being the longest in cycle and after ~1minute the cycle would be stopped and each chip wiped with a cloth or wooden tooth pick to remove/loosen surface grime. Then another cycle and the chips turned out well with no real change to the hotstamps. It was faster than washing all of them individually in the sink and after trying to wash one barrel of white 1's by hand at first and comparing the results the Ultrasonic turned out much better. I am sure a magic eraser would go further but I do not want to push it or spend that much time. The results are good enough. Only issue is that the chips being now absent of oils show more wear than they did prior. Those that oil may want to do so after, otherwise a few games should resolve that issue.

Ultrasonics are much cheaper lately I paid ~170 CAN for my unit from Bezos

I recently picked up 900 hot stamp chips that were funky. I used a 6L ultrasonic and warm tap water @40C with a ample squirt of dish soap. In batches of 20 for the grunge chips and ~100 for the rest in a simple clean all for ~1 to 4 minutes. The 5's being the longest in cycle and after ~1minute the cycle would be stopped and each chip wiped with a cloth or wooden tooth pick to remove/loosen surface grime. Then another cycle and the chips turned out well with no real change to the hotstamps. It was faster than washing all of them individually in the sink and after trying to wash one barrel of white 1's by hand at first and comparing the results the Ultrasonic turned out much better. I am sure a magic eraser would go further but I do not want to push it or spend that much time. The results are good enough. Only issue is that the chips being now absent of oils show more wear than they did prior. Those that oil may want to do so after, otherwise a few games should resolve that issue.

Ultrasonics are much cheaper lately I paid ~170 CAN for my unit from Bezos
Interesting approach. I just got my US and did a couple hundred chips using a mild TSP solution and water at around 90 degrees.

General timing was 45 sec to 1.5 minutes. My results were good, but not “great”. The edges still required manual cleaning. I need to experiment more with duration, and cleaning aid.

I always thought you couldn’t use dish soap in an US as it would bubble or over-“sud”.

I also think a pre-soak would help, which I didn’t do.

I’ve always said I’d never pay to have chips cleaned. But, I’ve got about 1,000 of these, and they’re damn near impossible to clean. Though I’ve never tried an ultra-sonic.
I guess I’d have to see some samples cleaned first, and then, if the results were good, I might be interested, depending on the price.
1FC3CD3C-222F-41B2-9746-3A52DD408BCF.jpeg

I’ve always said I’d never pay to have chips cleaned. But, I’ve got about 1,000 of these, and they’re damn near impossible to clean. Though I’ve never tried an ultra-sonic.
I guess I’d have to see some samples cleaned first, and then, if the results were good, I might be interested, depending on the price.
View attachment 813753
Are those Mason’s Hubs? If so, I’ve got a few racks that are dirty that I could test in the US.

Are those Mason’s Hubs? If so, I’ve got a few racks that are dirty that I could test in the US.
I’ve just referred to them as L molds, but I don’t know any more about them than that. They’re compressed clay, I believe they’re about 8g or a hair under, and they’re dirty as hell.

E15BE891-6E4D-47DC-8446-5FD6BC8C3A3A.jpeg
Hard to tell from the pic. Here is a shot of some Mason & Co. the $1 is the “hub” mold, the black is a “tri mold” I think that’s what it’s called. I’ll test them in the US and see how they do.

Interesting approach. I just got my US and did a couple hundred chips using a mild TSP solution and water at around 90 degrees.

General timing was 45 sec to 1.5 minutes. My results were good, but not “great”. The edges still required manual cleaning. I need to experiment more with duration, and cleaning aid.

I always thought you couldn’t use dish soap in an US as it would bubble or over-“sud”.

I also think a pre-soak would help, which I didn’t do.
I actually had to stir the soap through the water then it would just vibrate. No-to very little suds at all. more when your took the tray out and did a scrub. I put a "healthy" dose of soap in and added more ad-hoc. More/Less soap making little difference with a preference for more....even with lots there was no "suds" issue

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom