Poker chip breakdown (1 Viewer)

goldmac

High Hand
Reaction score
Ok guys, so I am having trouble with chip breakdown, the set I am going to order is 300 desert palms, but I don't know what quantities of chips I need where each chip is worth one-hundredth of it's real value, these chips will be used for poker, blackjack, and other table games. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

~Mac

EDIT: READ BEFORE REPLYING

I have decided to not buy desert palms, I am going to wait until I can come to a good decision as to what chips to buy, I intend to save up and buy a micro stakes cash game set from key west.

Last edited:
Some more information will help:

- Stakes
- Buy-Ins
- No. Players
- Requirements from the retailer (i.e. must order in quantities of 25, etc.)

It might be tough to put together a super versatile set with only 300 chips but it might be possible with some creativity.

Biggest question of all though: are you getting a good price on the chips? ;) sorry - couldn't resist.

The chips are £0.53 each (Good price?) including shipping and customs. I don't have to order in bundles 25's or 20's for the chips. About 3-5 players, £5 to £10 buy in.
I am buying 3 chip racks each for £2.99.
The total price, including shipping and customs comes to £172.42​

Ok, so let's act like the buy-in is $500-$1000 (even though it's £5-£10). The bank should be 4 buy-ins per person (at least) or $20,000.

That makes the buy-in a little high for $1/2 blinds, 2/5 or 5/10 could work. If you can manage 5/10, the $5 chip can be the bottom end.

60 X $5
100 X $25
100 X $100
40 X $500

Blackjack makes things awkward, unless you mandate 2 chip bets to handle the lack of snappers (blackjacks would pay off with exactly 3 chips). The Desert Palms don't have a $20, which would be another option.

Would a breakdown of

5 X 25c
5 X 50c
25 X $1
10 X $2
150 X $5
55 X $10
25 X $25
20x $100
5 X $500

be good? Seeing as these will be very non serious games, between friends.

Would a breakdown of

5 X 25c
5 X 50c
25 X $1
10 X $2
150 X $5
55 X $10
25 X $25
20x $100
5 X $500

No. Non-serious or not.

You need more chips of fewer denominations, not the other way around.

Would a breakdown of

5 X 25c
5 X 50c
25 X $1
10 X $2
150 X $5
55 X $10
25 X $25
20x $100
5 X $500

Not really, tbh. Didn't you say you had to order in multiples of 20 or 25?

What stakes are you playing for poker? You mentioned a 5 or 10 buy- in...is that for .25/.50 blinds?

Blackjack makes things awkward, unless you mandate 2 chip bets to handle the lack of snappers (blackjacks would pay off with exactly 3 chips). The Desert Palms don't have a $20, which would be another option.

Occurs to me that you can have a house rule that the BJ bonus is paid via a side bet on your next hand.

So if you bet $25 and hit a blackjack, you get paid off with a $25, and another $25 goes on the rim of your betting spot to ride the next hand. If you win the next hand, you get the extra $25. If you lose, it goes away. You end up getting it about half the time. (Need to decide how to deal with splits/doubles.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom