Poker Chip Boxes (3 Viewers)

alecnetwoodworks

Pair
Site Vendor
Reaction score
In a previous thread I showed a 3d render of a potential 1000 chip box. I scaled that down and ended up making a 300 chip box designed for 44mm CPC chips for a member here. I wanted to show that off here as I'm super please with how it came out. This one is designed to mount on the wall, via french cleat, and be taken down easily for showing off a nice a set of chips. I also got to put the laser engraver to work putting the members logo onto the box top! Due to the logo on the lid being a centerpiece, a rectangular shape was desired, so a 6 by 50 layout of chips was chosen. Box is quarter-sawn white oak with a dark brown dye and really shows off some cool ray fleck figuring. Construction on this one is with finger/box joints, but dovetails or keyed miters are an option as well. The interior chip holder is wormy maple. All hardware is solid brass. Let me know what y'all think!

20201027_115859.jpg20201027_115912.jpg20201027_115921.jpg20201027_115936.jpg20201027_120016.jpg

This size is available for $150 plus $25 for engraving. Custom sizes available and lots of options for wood choice and colors available. Would make a fantastic gift for the holidays! But order soon as I'm just a one-man shop and my order queue is filling up fast to be ready in time for holiday delivery.

That looks really cool!

A few questions:
What is the largest area you can laser engrave?
Are the trays fixed or removeable?
Is there any concern with the latch or hinge strengths, considering the pressure is coming down the middle as opposed to up and down on the components?

This is awesome. What do you think the price would be on a 1,000 or 1,500 (39mm) chip box?

It would depend on a few factors. Biggest is if you want the chips to be in removable racks or just one big insert. Wood type plays a role as well.

I think up to 1000 chips in a box could work, but over that would probably require multiple layers of chips to keep the footprint reasonable.

I would estimate that for a 1000 chip box, with wooden chip holders, would probably start around the $250 range. Feel free to message me and we can discuss details and I can firm that up. I've got a few ideas to keep costs down if needed as well.

That looks really cool!

A few questions:
What is the largest area you can laser engrave?
Are the trays fixed or removeable?
Is there any concern with the latch or hinge strengths, considering the pressure is coming down the middle as opposed to up and down on the components?

My laser engraver has about a 11x15in working area.

Tray inserts are removable, but in the box I just made, it does not come out easily with chips in place. I could pretty easily make it to to fit my 100 chip racks though.

I'm not sure what concerns there would be with the hinges or latches? I don't forsee any issues with the hinges or latches on the box I just made. As the box gets bigger I will likely have to change the size or style of hinges used.

My laser engraver has about a 11x15in working area.
What are the dimensions of the 300 chip box? (For reference)

I'm not sure what concerns there would be with the hinges or latches? I don't forsee any issues with the hinges or latches on the box I just made. As the box gets bigger I will likely have to change the size or style of hinges used.
Fair enough, especially regarding the 300 chip box.

I was personally thinking about a 600 piece box, so was just extrapolating the pressure on the hinge or latches.

The one I just made is about 8x12x3.25in

And yes, no question hinges would likely have to get bigger for a 600 chip box. But depth and weight of the lid would be the deciding factors there.

Very nice work...you stuff always looks top notch.

Thanks for posting !

Hey!
I'm the owner of the "Atlantis box" so I thought I should provide some pictures. Alec didn't really put the assignement to justice as an additonal requirement was to allign the box to my dining room table. So here's some pictures with the table and the 44mm CPC chips, Edit: and the poker trays;

Box1.jpg

Box3.jpg

Trays1.jpg

I'm planning to do a whole Atlantis photo shoot at some point.
PS! Bonus points for calling out the 43mm Paulson chips.

Last edited:
Hey!
I'm the owner of the "Atlantis box" so I thought I should provide some pictures. Alec didn't really put the assignement to justice as an additonal requirement was to allign the box to my dining room table. So here's some pictures with the table and the 44mm CPC chips, Edit: and the poker trays;

View attachment 568533
View attachment 568532
View attachment 568539
What barrel length was required for fitting 20 44mm A-mold CPC's in those racks? Only curious because I'm going to have Alec build some for me once the chips come in :)

I just realized that I butchered the english language in my previous post. My point was just that Alec was too modest in the assigment I gave him. I wasn't very specific in what I wanted except that I wanted it to be similar in color as my dining room table, which he nailed. Communication was very good and he made several suggestions and adopted mine.

The box is for 44mm CPCs while the trays are for 43mm (used) Paulsons so I never really measured 20 CPCs. I did however measure 40 CPCs which is the max my caliper managed and there were some relative big variations there, which seem normal for CPCs. Regardless, the box was a perfect match for these and they fit snuggly without any hassle, which is important as I'll mount the box to a wall to showcase it and don't want any rattle there.

I should also mention that I suspect that this was a break even project for Alec considering the packaging and the amount of packing goods and tape he used. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

This looks great.

I could be interested in a 600 piece box with individual 100 chip trays that could be removed. I would not be hanging it. It would simply be for storage/display.

I would also be taking advantage of the custom engraving. Approximate shipped price to Michigan?

What barrel length was required for fitting 20 44mm A-mold CPC's in those racks? Only curious because I'm going to have Alec build some for me once the chips come in :)
For 50 chips I went with right around 170.5mm. Researching thos chips showed pretty significant variations in chip height, so figured better to go a little large and make sure all actually fit. For a 20chip barrel, we may want to do something like 68mm to give a tiny bit of extra buffer there.

This looks great.

I could be interested in a 600 piece box with individual 100 chip trays that could be removed. I would not be hanging it. It would simply be for storage/display.

I would also be taking advantage of the custom engraving. Approximate shipped price to Michigan?
600 chip box with removable racks would be $210, basic engraving adds $25 (if just on the box, racks would be a little extra). Wood, hardware and joinery choices could bump things up a little bit. Shipping is actual cost, and I'd estimate in the $25 range, maybe less.

Shoot me a message and we can discuss details.

Hey!

View attachment 568533
View attachment 568532
View attachment 568539

Those racks look amazing, also love the small Atlantis logo on th side of the chip trays. Love the small details.

I have not been super active here lately as most of my projects the last month or two have not been poker related. I did, however, just finish up this sweet little 400 chip (300 39mm Paulson's and 100 43mm) box for a member here. Goal was was sleek and minimalist, with a very dark finish. Its not super obvious with the dark finish, but the box is made from one white oak board with wrapping grain all the way around and no exposed hardware.

Enjoy!

20201214_195626.jpg20201214_195543.jpg20201214_195501.jpg20201214_195129.jpg20201214_195033.jpg

Simple. Beautiful. Great stain choice and the heavy grain comes out just great.
Especially with the continuous grain and mitered corners. Nice touch with the soss hinges.

The chips and chip colors will just pop when the box is opened.
Thanks so much! First time with soss hinges, but once I got the install jig, they were pretty straightforward to work with.

That finish has become one of my recent favorites. Iron acetate solution reacts with the white oak, turning the wood almost black, then seal it up with Rubio Monocoat Charcoal to even up the dark coloring. I recently finished up a built in double desk using this same method. Came out sweet!

Thanks so much! First time with soss hinges, but once I got the install jig, they were pretty straightforward to work with.

That finish has become one of my recent favorites. Iron acetate solution reacts with the white oak, turning the wood almost black, then seal it up with Rubio Monocoat Charcoal to even up the dark coloring. I recently finished up a built in double desk using this same method. Came out sweet!
You really do need to create a thread to display some of your non-poker builds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom