Poker books For Beginners (1 Viewer)

Broadway Str8ght

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend poker books for beginners, specifically for hold'em (as I don't play stud, Omaha, badugi etc.) at this point I have enough trouble with hold'em & I really don't have an interest in the mixed games.

Beginners, lots of books out there. I like supersystem 2. Gives you a little history and perspective of one of the game's legends.

Anything from Ed Miller, David Sklansky...

Ed Miller has a book, "Getting Started in Holdem" that I personally haven't read, but I would think it is a great start!

Anything from Ed Miller, David Sklansky....

Got to agree with Miller-Sklansky

Also, one of the best primers I've ever seen. Great coverage on basics

upload_2016-12-26_10-20-22.png

For beginners, I agree with @Jambine - the "dummies" book is actually a reasonable place to start.

After that, I'd go with the Harrington on Hold'em series. He has books for both tourney and cash games, but I haven't read the cash games book. I found his original book to be one of the easiest to follow.

After that, anything by Sklansky.

Note that the order I listed is the order I'd read them - not order of quality. Sklansky offers great analysis but is a little harder to read/follow IMO than Harrington so I don't recommend beginners read him until/unless they can follow Harrington's books relatively easily.

Also bear in mind that most of what is written out there is "old knowledge", meaning that the meta-game/skill level of the high-level players at large has met, surpassed, or otherwise changed from what's in the books. That's not to say the books are bad, per se - they still offer some solid analysis, particularly for the newer player - but simply that they may not completely mesh with analysis you read on plays at today's tournaments.

Personally speaking, as someone who has only started studying poker theory this year, I'd go with the Harrington on Hold'em series.

I forgot to ask in my original post if anyone knows of any books that were written that explain the concept of "small ball" poker.

I would highly recommend supersystem 2 to anyone interested in poker, for me it was a crazy good book.

..bought my copy in 2008-09, had a 3-4 year brake from poker, looking for it for the last few days because I need quick reminding on some stuff :))

I'll give another vote for Harrington on Hold Em. Gives you a solid base for starting.

I am currently reading Harrington cash game vol 2 - its pretty good, logical (which we all forget when in game.....well I do anyway).

Check out https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkb2eSKwRSqc9Ul84HnsaIO0sS3Fwgzmy

few years back got these as a dvd video compilaton set from a friend, forgot about these, found them in a folder yesterday, for me only thing better then the Supersystem2; the tells chapters especially.
Think this deserves its own thread. Used this as a blueprint for research.

Attachments

• 20170214_121728.jpg
    20170214_121728.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 188
  • 20170214_121739.jpg
    20170214_121739.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 20170214_121750.jpg
    20170214_121750.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 168
all chapters

Attachments

• 20170214_121831.jpg
    20170214_121831.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 169
Cut my teeth on Super/System and later Harrington books. IMO, no matter what you want to play, you need to read The Theory of Poker by Sklansky. It's dry reading but details the nuts and bolts of poker. It is a must. The foundation upon which poker is built.

As others have mentioned, the Ed Miller books are generally really good. Once you're comfortable with the basics, "Professional No Limit Hold'em Vol. 1" and "Small Stakes No Limit Hold'em" are a great 1-2 punch. SSNLH is basically volume 2 of PNLH.

I found watching videos online an easier way to digest information, but it might not suit everyone. Also whether its books or online content there is a lot of outdated information as the game has changed a lot so I'd try to find stuff from the last couple of years if possible

I found Annie Duke's "Decide to Play Great Poker" or sumfink to be an interesting read (haven't finished it yet). At least it's enjoyable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom