Poker and Non-poker Mixed games (1 Viewer)

Steeeeb

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Looking for suggestions of games to throw into the mix for Card night! This crowd is a combination of friends and family of all ages so I am looking for some fun alternatives.

(2/3’s of these people don’t play poker)

Here’s my starting list:
  • Left Right Center
  • Acey Deucey
  • Screw your neighbor

For when we have poker night:
  • Limit Holdem
  • Shortdeck
  • Baseball
  • PLO
  • 3 Card Poker (swap card w/ neighbor)
  • The Cross
Also! Would anyone know which game I am about to describe? It is poker and split pot based: (not sure if everyone starts with 2,3, or 4 cards)

Board is of 5 cards, usual streets from holdem to bet. The middle card on the board is unique - whoever has the highest of this Suit automatically wins half the pot.

The other half of pot goes to the player with the best 5 cards.

Thanks!
- Steve

This might seem kind of pedestrian, but we've really enjoyed playing go fish on nights out at breweries and bars. It's good for a game with a lot of people because keeping track of what card everyone is looking for is somewhat of a skill. For smaller groups of 4, there's the standard Euchre, Hearts, Spades, Bullshit (if you've ever heard of it?), and I really enjoy the Italian game Scopa as well!

I think for the poker night Omaha, Stud, Razz can all get pretty confusing for people that already aren't super fluent in hold'em. But you know your audience, you can decide if they learn quick enough for it.

On a poker night, I like the non-poker games to still be gambling games (so that my chips get used in play, of course!) and to accommodate lots of players, like poker does. Here's a few that work well, click on the links to read how to play:

7-27
Bourre
Put (see spoiler below for rules for this game)

Put is a very old gambling game for two players; I've modified it to accommodate anywhere from two to ten players, so I'll provide my modified rules here. It's a precursor to poker, and it incorporates money the same way that poker does - players start with an initial wager, but can raise the stakes, forcing other players to either risk more money or abandon the pot.

Put
Not Poker. A small and simple trick-taking game with unusual betting.

All players ante. For two to six players, deal each player one more card than there are players. Deal seven cards for seven, six cards for eight, and five cards with nine or ten.

The player to the dealer’s left leads to the first trick.

Suits don’t matter. The highest card played takes the trick and leads to the next trick. Ties are set aside; the same player leads again.

Before playing a card (whether leading or following), a player may bet. All other players must call the bet or fold (no further bets or raises). The player then plays their card.

The player still in who has won the most tricks, or who is the last left in, takes the pot. Tied players split the pot.

If no one bets before the start of the second trick, the winner of the first trick must bet before leading. If the first trick was a tie, the player to the dealer’s left must bet and then lead to the second trick.

The hand ends once one player has won enough tricks to guarantee having more tricks than any other player; the remaining tricks are not played out.
If playing no-limit, betting cannot exceed the table stakes of the least-staked player still in the hand; there can be no side pots.

Here are some non-gambling card games that are good with a large group:

President
Clubs
Durak
NLK
Oh Hell
Knockout Whist
Cucumber
Toepen
Spoons
Whisky Poker
I Doubt It (version one)
I Doubt It (version two)

And for a fun night of poker, here are some poker variants you might like:

2-7 Triple Draw
Crazy Pineapple
Three-Hand Hold'em
Trees
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern
Bastard of Science
Locust Swarm

Good luck!

I often find that rec players enjoy draw games so I’ll unabashedly promote my favorites:

2-7 triple draw (limit or pot limit)
2-7 nl single draw (a tad chaotic but fun)
A-5 single or triple draw (identical betting structure to 2-7)
Badugi (a tad boring but easy to understand)
Badeucy/Badacy (split pot Badugi-2-7/A-5 respectively)
And the classic triple/single draw high

Hey everyone,

Looking for suggestions of games to throw into the mix for Card night! This crowd is a combination of friends and family of all ages so I am looking for some fun alternatives.

(2/3’s of these people don’t play poker)

Here’s my starting list:
  • Left Right Center
  • Acey Deucey
  • Screw your neighbor

For when we have poker night:
  • Limit Holdem
  • Shortdeck
  • Baseball
  • PLO
  • 3 Card Poker (swap card w/ neighbor)
  • The Cross
Also! Would anyone know which game I am about to describe? It is poker and split pot based: (not sure if everyone starts with 2,3, or 4 cards)

Board is of 5 cards, usual streets from holdem to bet. The middle card on the board is unique - whoever has the highest of this Suit automatically wins half the pot.

The other half of pot goes to the player with the best 5 cards.

Thanks!
- Steve
Cincinnati - the middle card is higher than a 8 it's the rank of the suit if it's lower then its the lowest ranking. If it is an 8 then it's a scoop for the best poker hand and A is always high

Cincinnati

Five cards are dealt face down to each player and five cards face down to the table. The players look at their hands.

The dealer turns the table cards face up one at a time. After each card is turned up, there is a round of betting.

After the fifth and final betting round there is a showdown, won by the highest hand. A player's five-card hand may be made from any combination of hole cards and table cards.

Variations​

A popular variation is to specify that the holder of the highest card of the suit of a particular table card - often the last card turned over, or sometimes the third card turned over - splits the pot with the highest hand. Or the high hand may split the pot with the holder of the highest card of that suit if the table card is 8 or higher but with the lowest card of the suit if the table card is 7 or lower.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom