Pocket tens, short handed, deep. (1 Viewer)

DrStrange

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
We are playing 1-2 live, six handed. It is late in the session, after three am. Even so, it is uncomfortably hot and the bugs are now part of the game (we are flicking them at slow players or just to pass time). The game is in a garage - not technically outside but close enough. We are having fun, I guess. The table is tired and I suspect the game could brake with little or no warning. We are watching sports replays on TV.

Cast of characters:

Crazy is the small blind with $500 on a $2,000+ buy in. Crazy is, well crazy. Hyper loose, unpredictably aggressive, sticky and prone to curious outbursts. A hoot to play with, profitable to play against but expect variance. Clearly drunk.

The BB is playing $800 and is ahead. He is a thoughtful semi-TAG preflop, fit/fold post flop with a dash of bluff. Let's call him buzzed, down from drunk two hours ago.

UTG is playing $400 on a $1,000 buy in. He is a newer guy, a LAGtard who scored big his first time here and won a couple of grand. He owns a junk yard and is playing above his comfort level (I think) That big win his first time seems like it could cost him a lot. He has been in jail for a while, no idea what for. Drunk.

MP is the Alpha Male who folds.

CO is a crafty old LAG playing $1,800 on a $60 buy in. He gets wilder, more aggressive playing with winnings - not bad, just looser and more aggressive. Very hard to play against in this mode. His stated goal now is to take all the chips by the end of the game. Drunk.

Hero holds the button with $900, also on a $60 buy in. Hero has been on a three hour lucky run. Most of his winnings come from just a couple of hands. For the most part he isn't participating in the "battle of the LAGs". Stone cold sober.

The hand:

UTG limps, Alpha folds, Crafty limps. Action on Hero with :th: :ts: There isn't a standard raise this game - anything from $5 to $20+ Should Hero limp, fold or raise, if raising how much?

DrStrange

Raise enough to get most of the characters to fold.

Same... Raise between $15-20 based on your experience w/ these characters.

Crafty is the CO? I'd raise to $20 as well. Expect at least 2 callers. Plan to C-bet most flops if checked to, 1/2 to 2/3 of pot. Hard to plan any further ahead than that in a high SPR mulit-way pot. Be surprised and likely fold if re-raised preflop.

Crazy ... $500 on a $2,000+ buy in
UTG ... $400 on a $1,000 buy in
CO ... $1,800 on a $60 buy in
Hero ... $900 on a $60 buy in. Most of his winnings come from just a couple of hands.

Are those numbers right? Hero is up by fourteen buy-ins on "just a couple of hands" ?

CO has gone from $60 to $1800 playing six-handed in a 1-2 home game? JFC.

I'm good with raising PF to $20ish but not married to the hand. Consider folding to a re-raise pre-flop, almost definitely folding to a called re-raise pre-flop. If no re-raise, C-bet the flop depending on texture, but be ready to let it go if there are multiple overcards and action in front of you.

Edit: In other words, my standard weak-tight line :)

Last edited:
We started the night with 14 players, some of whom cashed out but others left behind all their chips.

The first buy-in for this game is $60. After that, the rebuys/add-ons can be as large as the largest stack at the table. It is not shocking to have $10,000+ at the table in this 1-2 game driven by the desire of each guy to be the top dog at the table. Hero is about the only player who buys in for $200 or $300 max. When one of the "big boys" gets behind, they rarely buy in for less than $500 a pop and sometimes $1,000+. Not every session works out this way but when the planets are aligned it gets intense.

As for Hero's night - - - Hero has chipped up here and there but the bulk of his chips came from three big confrontations; an early preflop 4-bet jam with AA vs two villains that held up, Hero semi bluffs with an ace high flush draw vs a LAG who was pressing a lesser flush draw (hero wins with ace high) and a flopped set by hero vs a sticky overpair. I can not explain how strongly this game over values one-pair hands. Value bets >> bluffing, maybe >>>

*** Ok on to the flop ***

Hero expects to get called in many seats with bets $30 or less. Wouldn't be shocking for villains to call bigger bets than $30. Hero decides to go for a high SPR situation and raises to $10. Everyone but BB calls. $42 in the pot, four way action.

Flop is :2s: :6h: :td:

Three checks to Hero, check or bet? If betting how much? (This table is crazy sticky, someone will generally call modest bets with almost nothing. A slow play line might be intended as tricky for later in the hand but do not overly fear the dry board might cause everyone to fold.)

DrStrange

I was going to say bet $10-$15 pf.

Now I bet about 3/4 - pot. $30-$40.

If anyone CR us start masturbating.

We started the night with 14 players, some of whom cashed out but others left behind all their chips.

The first buy-in for this game is $60. After that, the rebuys/add-ons can be as large as the largest stack at the table. It is not shocking to have $10,000+ at the table in this 1-2 game driven by the desire of each guy to be the top dog at the table. Hero is about the only player who buys in for $200 or $300 max. When one of the "big boys" gets behind, they rarely buy in for less than $500 a pop and sometimes $1,000+. Not every session works out this way but when the planets are aligned it gets intense.

As for Hero's night - - - Hero has chipped up here and there but the bulk of his chips came from three big confrontations; an early preflop 4-bet jam with AA vs two villains that held up, Hero semi bluffs with an ace high flush draw vs a LAG who was pressing a lesser flush draw (hero wins with ace high) and a flopped set by hero vs a sticky overpair. I can not explain how strongly this game over values one-pair hands. Value bets >> bluffing, maybe >>>

*** Ok on to the flop ***

Hero expects to get called in many seats with bets $30 or less. Wouldn't be shocking for villains to call bigger bets than $30. Hero decides to go for a high SPR situation and raises to $10. Everyone but BB calls. $42 in the pot, four way action.

Flop is :2s: :6h: :td:

Three checks to Hero, check or bet? If betting how much? (This table is crazy sticky, someone will generally call modest bets with almost nothing. A slow play line might be intended as tricky for later in the hand but do not overly fear the dry board might cause everyone to fold.)

DrStrange

This is a wet dream right now with this table. Make a cbet and keep them on the string. I'd say about...$25

*** onward ***

Hero takes Ben's advice, essentially to the letter. Small bet will get the guys with two over cards to call. If they hit the overcard, it will be a $200+ payday for Hero !!!!! Oh such wishful thinking.

Hero bets $20, Crazy and Crafty call, but we get one fold. $102 in the pot, three way action to see the turn.

Turn is: <:2s: :6h: :td: > :8d:

Two check, now it is Hero's turn. Check or bet, if betting how much? (crazy has $470 left, Craft covers Hero's $870)

DrStrange

Since it is a Doc Strange thread I anticipate the villain to have 7 9.

Fire again. Straights and flush draws developing so I say put in another $70-$75

Since it is a Doc Strange thread I anticipate the villain to have 7 9.

Fire again. Straights and flush draws developing so I say put in another $70-$75

75 was the first number to pop in my head.

I'm definitely not checking here. If crafty check raises I'll have to re-evaluate things.

Bet $80. 79 could be out there but we're way ahead most of the time and want to get calls from gutshot and overs.

Lol to be clear I know we are ahead to way ahead to hopelessly crushing every hand but one.

Just saying I always wait for the card that makes a seeming juggernaut of a hand a mewling kitten in these threads.

78/89 are both just as likely as 79, and will feel compelled to stick around now that they've made a pair, as long as we keep it cheap enough. Something like 67 (with or without diamonds) just picked up more outs. We've got the tens locked up, so it's tough for these guys to have top pair+ hands. Bet $55, hope for 2 calls and a brick.

*** And now the river ***

Hero bets $99. Crazy calls, Crafty folds. Heads up, $300 in the pot. Effective stacks $371.

About this time Crazy charts chanting "nine, nine, nine, nine ......" You get the idea

River is: <:2s: :6h: :td: > :8d: :9h: Well that sucked.

Crazy starts his happy dance, hollering "sucker fish" and pretending he is big game fishing and about to land a whopper.

The questions of the moment:

1. What is the biggest bet Hero should call from Crazy? (If any, maybe Hero should plan a check/fold line.)

2. Should Hero raise Crazy?

3. If Crazy checks, does Hero check behind or bet? If betting how much? Bet / fold or bet / call?

DrStrange

Considering in the other thread he did the same routine with bottom set, it doesn't necessarily mean that he has the straight. Maybe he has 10 9 and he now has two pair. In your prior history, is he honest with the card he is calling for? I usually find most people aren't, but he is crazy after all.

Crazy is, well crazy. Unpredictable, irrational and quite capable of putting on a huge act here. But most of the time he isn't. That said, Crazy might look at two pair or a set of nines and think he is gold. Crazy is openly reading Hero as AA/KK or maybe a bluff with AK (Hero has a semi-earned reputation)

DrStrange

If he did hit the straight is he ever checking here? I would probably check behind, but that seems kind of nitty. If he bets, I'd look to see if I could get a read off of him based on his comfort level. barring any read, I'm probably cry-calling most bets here, just because his range seems wider than most. Watch him turn over JQ lol.

Doesn't help I'm sure, but I'd just go with your gut on this one. I think it's about a 50/50 chance you're beating crazy, and I'd lean towards my live read on whether to call if he bets. Would he check holding the 7? If so, I'd check behind. If he's always betting with the str, and checks, then I'm betting for value (maybe 2/3 pot). If he leads out, I'm probably calling a reasonable bet if there's a decent chance he's bluffing. Such a gross river... Nothing wrong with folding either IMHO.

I want to bet here. Its probably the wrong play. I'd consider a half pot bet, maybe just a touch less.

I think you almost have to call any bet from crazy given his history. That said at this point I see no reason to raise. I would also check behind if checked to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom