PNY status? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Is it me or do I see a lot of PNY's listed for sale?
Is the market shifting away from them and to custom chips?

I have a couple racks of Primary $25's and a couple racks of $5's.

Is it time to expand and buy? :cool:
I really would like some $1's and fractionals if acquisition is the plan.

$5s and $25s seem relatively reasonable to find. The $1s are much harder to find and priced accordingly. The fracs are undervalued and are probably going to see an increase in value.

This is kind of the norm with PNYs - interest fluctuates tremendously. You'll see periods where half a dozen really nice sets pop up in the classifieds and on eBay in a month, than a year will go by before you see another. Building a set is usually either a matter a luck (snapping up a set as it hits the market), overpaying ($/chip or buying full sets to get one rack), being incredibly patient or some combination of the three.

There were several big sets (mostly tourney) sold this year, and I believe a lot of them made their way overseas to France, where it seems a small pocket of interest has exploded :)

I played with a full cash set of PNY's at a home game last year. IMHO they are nice, but I am not a huge fan of them.

At some point I had a large set of these, even several racks of $20's and about two racks of $1k's, but they always remained an collector's item. You really have to like their RHC mold, their giant inlays and the VERY light $5 chip (barely 8g) and as their inlays aren't textured they are a bit on the slippery side, too. PNYs are quite iconic and they will always find their buyers, but in the end I much prefer more traditional chips, where you can see the base, the spots and the mold in all their glory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom