PLO8 Tourney right at the bubble (1 Viewer)

Man, this is like waiting for the next GoT episode...

Burke either busts or triples up. What will it be??

Last edited:
Pot is 15K and I have 18K behind. I'm first to act. Villain 1 to my immediate left has 60K and Villain 2 (original raiser) in position has 20K. We are on the bubble and the next BB is super short-stacked. I hold KsKh3s3h

Flop: Qh3dQd

If you have to call tread lightly.

This was the plan, but not possible with the flop that hit.

bet pot and hope to hold up against a Q with 9 outs to beat you.

Danger of checking here is that it's checked around and someone who MAY have folded gets a free card and now has a reason to stick around to the river.

Pot

I wasn't going to reply because I thought this was the easiest flop pot ever. Jim made a thoughtful case for checking, so I'll modify my stance.

This is one of the easiest flop pots ever.

Yea, we have exactly 3 safe cards in the deck. 2 KIngs and the case 3.

Anything else can make a bigger full house possible and/or bring a low draw.

Do you really want to give a hand like AA24 a free chance to beat us?

As played, you must either pot here and hope everyone folds, or open fold now and run around the table slapping yourself in the hand and screaming about everyone checking their privilege (and then sit down quietly like nothing happened with a shrug and a "What?")

Agree, I pot. Villain 1 thinks for 10 seconds and then raises all-in. Villain 2 folds immediately. I called my remaining 3K. Villain 1 tables quad Qs. Running Ks did not happen - busted.

It was kind of interesting though...because we were going hand for hand with the other table we couldn't table our hands immediately in order not to influence any action at the other table. Villain 1 looked at me and said "you must have 33s" to which I replied "so you have quads" and he just nodded. Another player at our table who was not in the hand, questioned, "Why are we stopped? He (referring to me) isn't all-in." He thought the 25K Horseshoe chip that I was using as a card-capper was in play. The shortstacked woman FREAKED and was like "No, no. That says Horseshoe Cleveland!" Shortstack was pumped with the end result. It was also her birthday so that was neat for her.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the input and teaching guys. I know this was not a good strategy hand, but I was wondering just how bad the original call was in the first place - obviously that was the critical error.

Fold preflop. KK33 is not a good hand in O8, unless you're playing stacks deep enough to get tons of action with kings full. Every other feature of the hand, you're setting yourself up to catch something second-best.

On the flop, potting all but guarantees you'll only get action when you're up against at least a queen—which may have you dead or has up to 9 outs twice.

If you check, however, the preflop raiser may c-bet much lighter holdings than a queen, and then you can check-raise all-in. So that's one way you could get action here even when you're way ahead.

This flop is a great example of why KK33 is a bad hand. The 33 hurts more than helps. When it hits, the set it makes is too small and puts a low card on board, and anything short of quads will always be very vulnerable. When it misses, now half of your hand is dead weight (with suits as backup in this case, but they may turn out to be useless too).

Really helpful, thank you! I paid a hefty price for this example, but I now firmly understand the situation.

For the record, I found the O8 section in SS2 invaluable.

I need to get a good poker book to read.

Man, this is like waiting for the next GoT episode...

That is high praise sir.

Overarching moral:
Patience is your friend...Just go get something to eat and keep out of trouble.

Sign on to the P* tournaments that they hold here nightly. Cheaper education against some very experienced players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom