plo vs nlhe games (1 Viewer)

saskbull

Two Pair
Reaction score
we play a “friendly” game every couple weeks, i’ve noticed since switching to plo, the games seem to break up earlier due to people busting out. tried lowering the blinds, but same result. anybody else have this issue? thought of lowering the max buyin, but would probably lose a few players..

Yeah, PLO moves the chips around. Even if you try to play it kinda nitty, you'll get pulled into far more stack-threatening pots than you do in NLHE. And PLO is much less studied than NLHE, so any experts at your game will tend to have much greater advantage over novices than is typically available to NLHE experts.

If people still really want to play PLO, a good balance may be to make it a rotation game, half NLHE and half PLO. I'd personally like that anyway because the more games, the better IMO. Maybe throw an orbit of Pineapple and Big O in there to round it out. ;-)

I've seen more people willing to call pot bets in PLO than all-ins in NLHE. Way, way bigger action in PLO, for sure. Doesn't matter if you make it for nickels, people love snap betting "pot" until they're over their heads with a marginal hand.

What are the blinds and what is the buyin. Lowering the buyin will make it worse. Deeper stacks play better for plo. It will increase the times where the proper decision is to fold rather than push.

I've seen more people willing to call pot bets in PLO than all-ins in NLHE. Way, way bigger action in PLO, for sure. Doesn't matter if you make it for nickels, people love snap betting "pot" until they're over their heads with a marginal hand.
lol yup, i’ve tried to explain it doesn’t have to go pot pot pot. we typically do what’s been suggested. dealers choice rounds of plo, nlhe, and nl pineapple. there’s prob 3 good plo players, 4 that understand the game, and 2-3 fish (degens) but it seems plo is the favorite. people love the action. just trying to figure out a eay to keep us playing for more than a couple hours ! lol

What are the blinds and what is the buyin. Lowering the buyin will make it worse. Deeper stacks play better for plo. It will increase the times where the proper decision is to fold rather than push.
.50-1, 40min 150max. most buy in for between 80-max

Don’t allow straddles, play PLO as 50/50c.

The smaller the pot is preflop the less that can be bet on the flop. It seems trivial, but it will help keep the pots smaller. But if they want to get crazy after the flop there isn’t much else you can do.

.25/.50 pl with $100 max buy might keep their attention and last a little longer. Even .50/.50 should do the same thing if you don’t have quarters.

If you ran .50/.50 $150 max and encouraged everyone to buy in for at least $100 it would be better. But it also depends on how deep your players are willing to go. If it is one buyin and bust it is never going to work.

My game is .50/.50 $100 max and everyone brings at least 3 buyins and it is rare for anyone to be stuck more than that.

My regular game is .25/.50 and 125/half largest stack max. It gets huge. Restricting rebuys to 100 max would help a lot.

Discuss the issue with the group. How many care the game breaks early? One bad scenario is half the table will increase buying to cover and the other half will not want to play and destroy the game. I would head that off.

Otherwise the , the options of buys in, switching to limit Omaha, players getting better at plo, or reducing plo frequency, or short game time will just find it's balance.

Our group had similar issue with NH SOHE.

My weekly game is NL Hold’em and PLO round by round. Once the game gets short handed we usually go to just PLO.

Last week we mixed it up and played dealers choice during the Hold’em round. Since we played a lot of games most of the players don’t know pretty much at all, we put a $100 cap per player on the hands (everyone was over $1k deep). It helped the players feel more comfortable playing the strange games knowing the most they could lose was $100.

Maybe something similar would work with your group for PLO.

If you want them to stay later maybe a Nintendo Switch?

PLO is the game I play when I want to play a quick game. NLHE can be a long grind to pass the days in Vegas. You can manage time by controlling the game played. For example play HORSE for a while then move to NLHE/PLO for an hour and like @Rhodeman77 says, just PLO when it gets short handed. The are several things you can do to keep people longer see what the group thinks.

I've been thinking of introducing my group to PLO. I will try to keep all of this advice in mind before I do so!

Whenever we play a cash PLO game, I reduce the blinds by a lot but make it a much deeper stack game.

We would normally play 50c/$1 for NLHE with a max buy in of $100. When we play PLO I switch it to 10c/25c with the same max of $100 buy in. The more they play the more they'll adjust and the game won't bust as quickly.

I'm in the process of introducing PLO to my group. Players vary from moderate PLO experience to NLHE fish with zero Omaha.

We normally play .25/.50 NLHE with $20-100 buyins. Lately we have been mixing in .25 single blind PLO with a $20 cap, and it's mostly working.

The biggest issue is that we usually hit the cap on the turn (occasionally the flop), so it eliminates river action. The good news is that the weaker players are more willing to play when they know they can't lose more than $20 per hand. It's a compromise.

As players get comfortable, I expect to increase the cap (maybe $50?), then eventually remove it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom