PLO Newbie-I'm sure mistakes were made (1 Viewer)

Zajac

Pair
Reaction score
6 handed .50/$1 with hero on the button
Eff stack is $100
Hero has :as::9s::2h::ac:

UTG-fold
MP-call
CO-call

Hero?

Last edited:
Eff stack is $100

UTG-fold
MP-call
CO-call

Hero bets pot $5.50

SB-fold
BB-fold
MP-calls
CO-calls

$18 in pot

Flop

:ks::2c::6c:

MP-checks
CO-checks

Hero?

Last edited:
Blocking nut club and unlikely to be against set of 2s or 6s. Only hand we are worried about is kings. I'd suggest potting it here.

Eff stack is $100

UTG-fold
MP-call
CO-call

Hero bets pot $5.50

SB-fold
BB-fold
MP-calls
CO-calls

$18 in pot

Flop

MP-checks
CO-checks
Hero-checks

Turn is :ad:

MP-bets $12
CO-Folds

Hero?

Last edited:
Easy pot here. I couldn’t get my chips in fast enough.

I’m guessing the river brought in the flush or straight, but I’m charging to chase.

Would like to understand why you didn't pot flop. What was your thought process? This is an easy pot bet.

Eff stack is $100

UTG-fold
MP-call
CO-call

Hero bets pot $5.50

SB-fold
BB-fold
MP-calls
CO-calls

$18 in pot

Flop

MP-checks
CO-checks
Hero-checks

MP-bets $12
CO-Folds
Hero-bets pot
MP moves all in
Hero calls
MP-shows :ah::2s::3c::5c:

River :qc:

Last edited:
Pot the flop - naked ace play if club turns, back door nut flush draw. Definitely pot the turn.

Eff stack is $100

UTG-fold
MP-call
CO-call

Hero bets pot $9

SB-fold
BB-fold
MP-calls
CO-calls

$28.50 in pot

Flop

MP-checks
CO-checks
Hero-checks

MP-bets $12
CO-Folds
Hero-all in
MP-Calls and shows :ah::2s::3c::5c:

my math could be wrong...tried to remember the actual amounts...but the action was correct...couple limps....pot.....checked around...approx 1/2 pot bet and a shove

Can I please come play in your game? If you have players willing to chase the 23rd nut flush and a gutter, it should be a terrifically profitable game for you.

Yes your post made that clear. Being new is allowed and nothing to be ashamed of, but sharing your thought process will help us give you more tailored feedback.
As far as the flop check---I guess it seemed like that night 90% of winning hands were sets or greater.....and probably 75% str8 or better......table was very sticky.......felt like I was on a 2 outer because I wasn't getting 2 folds.

As far as the flop check---I guess it seemed like that night 90% of winning hands were sets or greater.....and probably 75% str8 or better......table was very sticky.......felt like I was on a 2 outer because I wasn't getting 2 folds.
The texture of this flop doesn't line up with the above. There Is no made straights, and you block or have all nut flush draws. As for sets, your pot bet pre should eliminate 22 and 66 from your opponents ranges unless paired with a big pair like KK OR QQ. In many games players will repot with KK IF suited or part of a wrap so I would be fairly confident you have the best hand on the flop. On the turn you certainly do but straight draws probably exist potentially paired with emergency flush draws. Going to be hard to get them to fold so punish them to the max and embrace the variance.

I'm a PLO newbie (at best) also, so take the following with a few pounds of salt...

AA without double suits (one of your A is suited) is a reasonably good opening hand, but not great. Raising PF in position against a bunch of limpers is usually the recommended course of action. Here it looks like you bet pot, and got the blinds to fold. So far, so good.

The flop is really not very good to you. Straight draws and flush draws are here (although you block the nut flush draw). You could possibly be facing a set of K, 6 or 2, or even 2 pair, but you are quite possibly ahead. The problem is that you are still very weak, with 2 cards yet to come (and in Omaha, those two cards will most likely determine the winner). Your check-back to two checks in front shows a fair bit of caution (weakness). I might have tried a C bet to get at least one more fold, but exercising pot control in this situation isn't the worst strategy if think that you might be re-raised.

The turn is about the best you could hope for. Another inside straight draw appeared, and the flush draw is still live, but you now beat any other set and any two pair. When MP bets 1/2 pot, you pretty much have to jam (or pot, depending on stacks). You currently have the nuts with one card to come. Folding is not an option, and flat calling for pot control is not optimum here (IMO). Jamming gives you some fold equity (although not much), and if you assume that Villain is on both a flush draw and a straight draw (which it turns out that he is), he doesn't have a ton of outs (you have one of his clubs, so 8 left plus 3 cards to fill the straight). I think that you played this part of the hand as well as you could have.

Note that your check on the flop opened the door for the MP bet. You showed weakness, he hit two pair, and decided that 2 pair, flush draw and gutshot draw was probably good.

So when he shows his cards, he now has exactly 8 clubs and 4h/4s/4d that can hurt you. All the remaining 29 cards are your friends. Hold on for the ride and pray that variance stays at home.

Eff stack is $100

UTG-fold
MP-call
CO-call

Hero bets pot $9

SB-fold
BB-fold
MP-calls
CO-calls

$28.50 in pot

Flop

MP-checks
CO-checks
Hero-checks

MP-bets $12
CO-Folds
Hero-all in
MP-Calls and shows :ah::2s::3c::5c:

my math could be wrong...tried to remember the actual amounts...but the action was correct...couple limps....pot.....checked around...approx 1/2 pot bet and a shove

FYI pot here is 3x$12 +$28.50 or $64.50. Not sure how you were allowed to jam here, but good for you for getting it all in ahead. Unlucky river but you should be putting as much money on the turn as possible in these situations.

The texture of this flop doesn't line up with the above. There Is no made straights, and you block or have all nut flush draws. As for sets, your pot bet pre should eliminate 22 and 66 from your opponents ranges unless paired with a big pair like KK OR QQ. In many games players will repot with KK IF suited or part of a wrap so I would be fairly confident you have the best hand on the flop. On the turn you certainly do but straight draws probably exist potentially paired with emergency flush draws. Going to be hard to get them to fold so punish them to the max and embrace the variance.
I definitely thought I could be ahead after the flop but didn’t feel that I would stay ahead…oh well…live and learn

FYI pot here is 3x$12 +$28.50 or $64.50. Not sure how you were allowed to jam here, but good for you for getting it all in ahead. Unlucky river but you should be putting as much money on the turn as possible in these situations.
Fixed

Last edited:
Going to the flop the pot should be $18. So MPs turn bet of $12 makes more sense with bet sizing relative to the pot. The only way OP is able to get it in here is if he potted the turn and MP repotted and they got it all in. That would make sense then.

Personally I think you're losing that hand no matter what. I don't think you're putting MP off his straight flush draw post flop even with a pot sized bet given that he bets the turn with just 2 pair. The turn makes your trips so you're not going anywhere.

It would be interesting to see what advice would be given if you played the MP's hand instead of your own...

I definitely thought I could be ahead after the flop but didn’t feel that I would stay ahead…oh well…live and learn

Maybe I got re raised for the rest…obviously the math is all wrong …definitely checked around after the flop….I bet pot all other streets
Welcome to PLO. Where you get it in with the nuts and lose time and time again. FYI the math is super important in PLO as your opponent is generally getting the right odds to call with their draws and can also be ahead with their draws versus made hands, especially in multiway pots.

Maybe next time wait longer for people to comment, before going forward with the hand. Also some description of the relevant players could be helpful.

Pre is fine as played, you have the best position and are holding a top 3% hand, perfect spot to raise.

On the flop I like a bet. You have an overpair, blockers to nut flush draw and set/2pair, and you even have backdoor nut spades. You probably have the best hand. Get some value from Kxxx hands and charge the straight/flush draws.

Turn is really easy, just get as much money in the middle as you can. Good job! :tup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom