PLO and PLO8 Rules, Tips, and Suggestions (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
On PFC, and live I've had players that aren't familiar with PLO and PLO8 ask me for rules, tips, suggestions, ect...

I consider myself an average PLO and PLO8 player. I don't profess to to know all (or even much about it) I know I would miss a bunch of information. Please sound off with any tips that you might have.

All betting in PLO and PLO8 is Pot Limit. In both games you must you two of your 4 cards. If its a Hi/Lo game. You can use any two cards for the low and any two cards for the high.

To qualify for the low, you must use two cards from your hand, and 3 on the board. All 5 have to be 8 or lower. Flushes and straights do not count against you. A, 2, 3, 4, 5 is the best low. It potentially could also be your high hand.

One of the biggest suggestions I give new players is "On the flop, its not about how good your hand it, but if you can draw to a better hand". Obviously you want to hit the flop and have a great hand. If that is the best you can do. Then you might want to try and keep the pot small'ish. I.E. If you flop a straight. Are you drawing to a better straight? a flush? Say you flopped a flush but the board is paired? If so you might have to tread carefully. Doesn't mean someone has a boat. You have to remember, everyone has four cards. Its quite possible your beat.

Second suggestion I give new players. Don't play PLO or PLO8 if you can't fold decent hands. In NLHE a flush, small FH is a pretty good hand. Not necessarily true in PLO.

Just remember. Its not what you have, its what your drawing to.

When new to playing PLO and PLO8 its better to play tight, looking for the nuts

PLO8: Play to scoop the high and low vs just playing for half the pot. Be aware that getting quartered is a real possibility.

B

Last edited:
I encourage new Omaha players to be nut peddlers. Not that hardy any ever listen - the allure of "good in hold'em, death in Omaha" hands proves to be overwhelming. Much better to start out over tight and loosen up than get slaughtered and trying to figure out why.

DrStrange

I played PLO8 at BBotB and I consider myself a solid PLO player, I put in a lot of volume on Bovada playing .10/.25 and .25/.50 zoom. I am however very inexperienced playing Hi-Lo games.

Most of the time I was looking for spots where I had a nut Hi hand and a qualifying Lo hand.

I scooped a $300 pot in Big O8 with Ah 7h Ks Kd Jd

Flopped an absolute monster 3h 2h Kh. Turn 4d. River 2d. Bet pot and got value on every street

I encourage new Omaha players to be nut peddlers. Not that hardy any ever listen - the allure of "good in hold'em, death in Omaha" hands proves to be overwhelming. Much better to start out over tight and loosen up than get slaughtered and trying to figure out why.

DrStrange

solid advice. I usually try to give this as well. You are correct. Its rare that it's listened to.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

I played PLO8 at BBotB and I consider myself a solid PLO player, I put in a lot of volume on Bovada playing .10/.25 and .25/.50 zoom. I am however very inexperienced playing Hi-Lo games.

Most of the time I was looking for spots where I had a nut Hi hand and a qualifying Lo hand.

I scooped a $300 pot in Big O8 with Ah 7h Ks Kd Jd

Flopped an absolute monster 3h 2h Kh. Turn 4d. River 2d. Bet pot and got value on every street

This reminds me to add to the OP that it is advisable to play for the scoop vs the entire pot in most scenarios (something I fail to listen to myself, lol)

It is very important for new players (and me) to fold shitty starting hands pre-flop. I read long ago in super system that 7,8 & 9's taint a hi-lo hand, very good advice IMO. If you see a flop in any Omaha game with a trashy hand it seems to me you can often justify seeing a turn and a river. This can get very expensive, I know from experience!

Bottom line is fold early and often in all Omaha games, especially at full tables!

If you can see a flop for cheap I'm all for it. The key is being able to fold post flop to a bet if you've gotten a piece of it.

It is very important for new players (and me) to fold shitty starting hands pre-flop. I read long ago in super system that 7,8 & 9's taint a hi-lo hand, very good advice IMO. If you see a flop in any Omaha game with a trashy hand it seems to me you can often justify seeing a turn and a river. This can get very expensive, I know from experience!

Bottom line is fold early and often in all Omaha games, especially at full tables!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom