Please talk me out of another set of customs! (1 Viewer)

Chris Manzoni

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_2517.PNG
I got my only set of custom chips from ASM back in 2012 - they are the chips in my avatar.

I knew next to nothing then, didn't get samples and had the same spots on all five of the chips, based them loosely (very loosely) on the WSOP primaries, and they were and still are fantastic.

But then of course a few years later I found CT and then this amazing place and I've been dreaming of another custom set ever since.

I bit the bullet on some stupendous day-glo solid hot stamps, and use them a lot for my weekly single table tournaments, I also just got some incredible Sunfly hybrids from the recently departed lovely man Sal, and I truly love those chips. I really really don't need another set, especially a full bells and whistles custom CPC set. But...

I have fallen deeply madly in love with the DSQ mold and the half and quarter pie patterns. Please talk me out of this set!

This time I did get samples, so I know these colors will work well. I also plan to get a real designer to make kick ass inlays at some point. These are my old ones, which are still pretty cool.

I would love all kinds of feedback, and as I said, I'd be grateful for a bit of discouragement!

upload_2018-2-20_11-0-19.png
I love this chip ..... red chip with only white spots is the best ....errrrr.....you don't need them (I want one of these if you make them...but you shouldn't) (y) :thumbsup:

I think you should invert the sizes of the denom and logo on the inlay. Smaller logo to keep the corners of the P and T away from the edges and bigger denom for visibility.

And I think you have to do a bit more with edge spot progression. At least, the 25k needs some additional pop in it, especially when 500, 1k and the 5k are so colorful.

Sorry, nothing but a bunch of enablers around here.

In for a sample set, though. (y) :thumbsup: Any ideas yet for the inlays?

I am stumped on the inlays - my game doesn't have a logo or a 'look' like so many others here; the current inlay just a 'tribute' (rip-off) of the WSOP logo and pretty boring. For sure want to update it but don't know what direction to go. Appreciate the suggestion to reverse the size of the logo and the denominations, good idea.

I think you should invert the sizes of the denom and logo on the inlay. Smaller logo to keep the corners of the P and T away from the edges and bigger denom for visibility.

And I think you have to do a bit more with edge spot progression. At least, the 25k needs some additional pop in it, especially when 500, 1k and the 5k are so colorful.

Agree with all you say - the 25K was the one chip I really didn't spend a lot of time mulling over, seemed like I ran out of color options on the chip designer, but I'll take another crack at it in a bit. Used charcoal because I've always wanted to have it in a chip, tried it with peacock blue which is a color I love, and it seemed not to have enough contrast, especially when eyeballing the samples next to each other.

Agree with all you say - the 25K was the one chip I really didn't spend a lot of time mulling over, seemed like I ran out of color options on the chip designer, but I'll take another crack at it in a bit. Used charcoal because I've always wanted to have it in a chip, tried it with peacock blue which is a color I love, and it seemed not to have enough contrast, especially when eyeballing the samples next to each other.
Keep both colors, and use them together with a sweet splashy spot pattern..... on a bright white base. (y) :thumbsup:

Guaranteed to fit right in with the other flashy chips, and you won't need very many (only a barrel or so) -- so the added cost of BW base and L10+ spots won't break the bank.

I'd be grateful for a bit of discouragement!

You shouldn't do it given I think the appearance of your sample is akin to a rabid wombat.

In addition, I've heard that CPC makes their chips from recycled radioactive waste.

Plus, they smell.

(I've done my duty to try to talk you out of it... but I would think such a set as you designed above would be awesome and well worth the risk of rads due to stray neutrons as well as any unpleasant odors. ;) )

Do a negative of the current inlay. White lettering on black. Same look, instantly recognizable as apart.
Do a negative of the current inlay. White lettering on black. Same look, instantly recognizable as apart.

LOVE this idea, thanks! (still messing around with the 25K, I'm reluctant to alter the progression as the set has a really nice 2/2/2 ratio) Eyeballing the samples the dayglo green and peacock work well together, obviously the 25 won't be in play at the same time as the 25K so confusion isn't an issue. I don't mind that they're both green, as it's that way in the WSOP and other tournaments.

Unknown-2.png

Love the black inlays, though I'm still likely to get J5 or another designer to take a crack at an inlay - just genuinely not sure what starting off point to give...

LOVE this idea, thanks!

My life is but to serve (bows).
You're welcome. And I think they look fantastic! And I'm liking the B-diamond mold more and more, too, as I see it in more and more sets and mockups.

But under no circumstances should you proceed with this order. (<- this is really just self-flagellation)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom