Playing with two decks (1 Viewer)

Wils

Flush
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my group of players to play with two decks of cards (shuffling behind) but they're somewhat against the idea. Concerns over things getting too confusing, cards from different decks getting mixed up, potential for cheating etc

If I do this, I'll use a standard sized blue deck and a bridge sized red deck, so that'll remove any "decks get mixed up" concerns, but what I need more than anything is testimonials from trusted folk (you lot), people who have made the switch to two decks and don't regret it (although caveats would also be appreciated).

So... What can I say to alleviate their concerns?

+1 for using 2 decks - more hands per night.

Use same size cards though, as they have different coloured backs.

That's why I recommend you buy "sets" of cards. Usually it's one red one blue. Never had any complains and it speeds up the game SO much.
Most of my players have very slow/weird shuffling techniques. It's painful to watch someone gather the cards awkwardly and then misshandle them in various ways for 5 minutes until the next hand is dealt. Shuffling behind still usually gets the next hand going without any delays and takes the pressure off the players to perform a shuffle in front of everyone.

Also the potential for cheating is reduced to pretty much zero if you do it this way:
Last dealer shuffles behind and hands the current dealer the shuffled deck and puts the cut card on top. Current dealer puts the cut card on the felt, cuts the deck and places it on the cut card. SB (next dealer) gets handed the freshly cut deck with the cut card already on the bottom.
No bottom dealing possible and no way for the dealer himself to know where a card is reduces chances for cheating significantly.

Way way easier to cheat if someone just shuffles the deck and starts dealing.

I think if you explain this to your players, they should see the various upsides of shuffling behind.

Last edited:
Use the same size decks with different color backs that are easy to distinguish, such as red/blue. The most efficient method imo is dealing two behind. When a hand is over, the deck is pushed to the player who is two seats behind the dealer. He gathers the pile of cards and shuffles them while the cards from the second deck are in the air. He hands (or places) the deck (next) to the player behind the dealer when he has finished shuffling.

When the hand is over, the dealer slides the cut card to his left. The player seated to the dealer's right picks up and hands him the fresh deck, which he in turn cuts and places on the cut card lying in front of the player to his left for him to deal.

The two behind method reduces the chances of a dirty deck and gives whoever is the current dealer the necessary space to deal freely. Hope this is helpful. GL.

I got some grumbling when we first started using two decks, but people quickly saw ho wmuch faster it keeps the game moving, and stopped grumbling. It’s a small learning curve for a big advantage.

And you’re overcompensating with this two different size decks thing. Nobody does that. There’s no need. Two different color backs is all that’s needed.

Two decks FTW!

Most of my players have very slow/weird shuffling techniques. It's painful to watch someone gather the cards awkwardly and then misshandle them in various ways for 5 minutes until the next hand is dealt.

We have 3 players who are happy to be dealers because of this issue. The game is rapid and means there's less chance of any incidents, they just organise it between the 3 of them, 1 of them swaps to the other each orbit. They also happen to be the 3 with the most experience, so we all manage the game together really. I take it upon myself to keep the pot organised, after 3 years, my players are finally starting to push their bets in though!

That being said, one of my dealers has won over 800BB three games running, maybe I should pay more attention! ;) (he's the best player by some distance, and my closest friend, I know he's not cheating).

I got some grumbling when we first started using two decks, but people quickly saw ho wmuch faster it keeps the game moving, and stopped grumbling. It’s a small learning curve for a big advantage.
We started using two decks earlier this year and there was just a bit of grumbling and confusion on who shuffles and who cuts but it quickly passed. Now everyone agrees that it speeds the game up so much! It was a great decision to switch to two decks for us!!!

Speeds up the game...
If you self dealing (person on the button) you need to practice routine what to do with deck that was just delt.
Unfortunately that did not work for merry bunch I played with...

My group have to be dragged kicking and screaming into any changes.

To get them to use 2 decks I ended up buying a shuffle tech and putting one deck in there while we played with the other deck, switching between hands.

Expensive solution but there’s only ever one deck on the table at any point.

And you’re overcompensating with this two different size decks thing. Nobody does that. There’s no need. Two different color backs is all that’s needed.
This was my experience as well. It takes a couple orbits to get used to the process, but once it was established, it's even easy for new players to adapt.

I'm trying to get my group of players to play with two decks of cards (shuffling behind) but they're somewhat against the idea. Concerns over things getting too confusing, cards from different decks getting mixed up, potential for cheating etc

If I do this, I'll use a standard sized blue deck and a bridge sized red deck, so that'll remove any "decks get mixed up" concerns, but what I need more than anything is testimonials from trusted folk (you lot), people who have made the switch to two decks and don't regret it (although caveats would also be appreciated).

So... What can I say to alleviate their concerns?
As others have said, we've used 2 decks for years with no problems. I recommend NOT using two different size cards. That seems too weird. You'll be fine with two difference color decks.

This seems like a PERFECT chance for an experiment!! I know most people shuffle behind, but it SUCKS (IMHO). Since your group is brand new to using two decks, alternate between shuffle behind and ahead to see which they prefer. Flip a coin, and do one for the duration of the night, and then do the other next time you play.

The other piece of advice I have is to encourage the dealer to cap the deck with the dealer button when waiting for action to occur. I have been guilty of yapping (not paying attention), and accidently shuffling the deck when I'm in the middle of dealing. I can easily see this being a problem for people who are new to using two decks.

Good luck and please report back if you decide to test the shuffle behind/ahead theory out.

2 decks is a must, but a small piece of advice:

Maybe it’s just my group, but I would stick to red/ blue back decks, or others with a lot of contrast.

I bought a setup of green/ brown KEM’s a while back. Both myself and one other are slightly color blind and we mixed up the deck twice that night (shuffling one ahead) before switching back to an older red/ blues setup.

We always run 2 decks and have never had an issue with red/blue.

We have always used two decks. Another vote for not using different sized decks. Different color backs is fine. You can also use decks with slightly different fronts as well if you are really worried.

We have always shuffled ahead of the dealer, I think the main idea is that it gives that person more time to shuffle before they have to act. I know though that most people say shuffling behind works better. Why is that? Thanks.

I bought a setup of green/ brown KEM’s a while back. Both myself and one other are slightly color blind and we mixed up the deck twice that night (shuffling one ahead) before switching back to an older red/ blues setup.
I encountered the same issue as well, I ended up buying another set-up with 2 other different color and swap 1 colour with the other to make both set-up Color blind user friendly

Once in a blue moon we have the flop dealt from the wrong deck but that’s mostly due to not paying attention after too much alcohol etc.
I was going to post that exact same thing, in response to SAS. But it’s always the same guy and he’s a dealer, and I guess that’s what dealers do, when they have a deck in their hand.

100% 2 decks of the same size w/ contrasting color backs for the last 20+ years. We've always liked shuffling ahead of the button but that's a personal preference. Either way is way faster than 1 deck. I have a shuffletech now so with me being the dedicated dealer we have even MOAR hands!!

I started with a single deck. When I made the shift, I gave everyone a card at the end of the night, and had them vote to determine if we were to stay at one deck or two.
2 Deck ballot.jpg

The vast majority of my players were extremely new to poker, so I anticipated them to stick with the simpler single-deck method. The votes from my players were unanimous, in the Liked it or Loved it camp.

Note: In short-handed hold-em cash games, we continue to use a single deck. I leave a second deck on the table so it can easily be brought in, but it never is. When the number of players is small, the cards are a back-seat to conversation. Hands-per-hour are not a concern.

Just to provide some contrast (not that I'm against two deck) but if your game is strongly social and not about hands per hour combat, the shuffling allows some more time to visit. It also gives an opportunity to criticize your friends terrible technique, which is really what home poker is about right?

Just to provide some contrast (not that I'm against two deck) but if your game is strongly social and not about hands per hour combat, the shuffling allows some more time to visit. It also gives an opportunity to criticize your friends terrible technique, which is really what home poker is about right?
-riffle shuffle-

"so you thought 95o was something you wanted to call my bet with? Is this about senior year? Im sick of apologizing for my past, Rick."

In my experience, social players never shut up regardless.

Twice I've been met with skepticism when suggestion two decks. Both times it didn't take an orbit until everyone realized that playing with two decks is the best thing since sliced bread. So my advice is to not argue or try to persuade. Just say "Give it a blind level. If you don't like it, we'll go back to using one deck like our grandparents did."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom