Playing Surface Foam (2 Viewers)

bsdunbar1

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I have always used the "2-A Density Volara - 1/4" Thick Closed Cell Foam" from YAT under all my playing surfaces. I am making another table and think something i little softer might be better, what do you guys use?
YAT lists this as "Medium" firmness, I don't see anything on this site that is an equivalent "soft" firmness, but I worry something too soft might be easier to lift & see your cards , but is too soft detrimental to stacking chips? Or is that irrelevant?

Thanks
Bill

Headliner foam from Jo-Ann's Fabrics. By the time you get fabric stretched over it, it's plenty tight enough for chip stacks, and soft enough for digging under to lift cards.

Runs about $10-$11 per yard (54" wide, I think), with coupons readily available for up to 60% off. Total sales price for 2-1/2 yards (most tables) is around $15.

http://www.joann.com/headliner-grey/3496064.html

3496064.jpg

Last edited:
Imho if you are used to the YAT volara, you might not like the headliner foam. I don't, but that's a preference. It's very soft, and I also worry that headliner foam will break down some over time.

I might suggest doing a test of the material, buy a small batch, and install it under some SSC on a small board, then stack, shuffle, etc.

Best of luck and post pics of your table build. :)

I have headliner foam tables and table-tops that are 10 years old with no degradation of the foam whatsoever. No worries here, but ymmv.

Personally, I find most volara installations to be too hard for my liking.

If you're already placing an order with YAT, I would highly recommend their 1/4" high density foam:

http://yourautotrim.com/1-4-thick-foam-padding-high-density-firm/

It's pretty much the same foam you would use to pad the railing, just thinner. It's similar to headliner foam, but a little more dense and supportive (for only a few pennies more).

FYI here's a write up I did several years ago about the pro/cons of the different playing surface foam options:
http://perfectmancave.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34314

Thanks guys
Softer for digging under the cards is what has me looking for something else. The Volara works, but is a bit firm to look at cards using just one hand.
All my previous table builds were racetrack varieties with the playing surface raised a bit from the racetrack giving you an easy "ledge" to look at the cards. The last tables I built, and this next one, have no racetrack so it is my first experience making something you have to "dig under" to see your cards. I imagine most will come down to personal preference but you guys have given me some examples to try that at least others have used and would use again.

The only thing to do now is give something else a try & see what has the feel i'm looking for.

Thanks Again
Bill

I've always found the best way to pick up cards is to gently push down on the cards in one corner or on the side. The other side lifts right up so that you can pick them up. Doesn't matter what firmness the foam is to do this.

2017-07-03 12.56.18.jpg

If you're already placing an order with YAT, I would highly recommend their 1/4" high density foam:

It's pretty much the same foam you would use to pad the railing, just thinner. It's similar to headliner foam, but a little more dense and supportive (for only a few pennies more).

FYI here's a write up I did several years ago about the pro/cons of the different playing surface foam options:

+1.

I have a question about 1/4 Volara foam...

I'm going to be re-felting / re-padding a table soon, and I noticed in @T_Chan 's video (
) , the foam is cut to inner rail diameter. Why exactly does he do it like that? Is there a good reason to not have padding all the way to the outer edge? maybe stupid question, just curious.

I have headliner foam tables and table-tops that are 10 years old with no degradation of the foam whatsoever. No worries here, but ymmv.

Personally, I find most volara installations to be too hard for my liking.
Really just a matter of preference. I have both and like both. They are just different. If you like a nice plush springy surface, go with headliner foam. Never had any issues with headliner foam. If you like a firmer feel and want the added waterproof protection of closed cell volara, then it is a great option.

He does that for 1 main reason, to help prevent cards from sliding under the rail. With the foam cut to the inside of the rail, it creates a "step" where the rail ends up lower than the playing surface foam making it very hard for a card to slide underneath by accident.

Yes this can be prevented if the rail is secured down to the playing surface with enough pressure and without cutting the foam to the edge of the playing surface. This method is more foolproof.

I tried this and found it challenging to cut the volara to exactly the right size - need to order another piece of volara and will go full table width owing to failure first time ...

I tried this and found it challenging to cut the volara to exactly the right size - need to order another piece of volara and will go full table width owing to failure first time ...
Place the volara on the table, set the raw rail in place, then trace the inner diameter with a marker. Cut the volara along the trace lines and install. Also trace the raw rail outline on the raw table to know where the volara goes.....

Imho if you are used to the YAT volara, you might not like the headliner foam. I don't, but that's a preference. It's very soft, and I also worry that headliner foam will break down some over time.

I might suggest doing a test of the material, buy a small batch, and install it under some SSC on a small board, then stack, shuffle, etc.

Best of luck and post pics of your table build. :)

Only degrades when exposed to UV/sunlight...

Place the volara on the table, set the raw rail in place, then trace the inner diameter with a marker. Cut the volara along the trace lines and install. Also trace the raw rail outline on the raw table to know where the volara goes.....
Yeah realized I should have done this after I upholstered the rail ...

@Irish I hate to dig up an older post but I tried to click on your link for the high density foam and it would just go straight to the site not the foam. I just wanted to very that this HD Foam is what you were talking about, I need to order some for my table. Thanks

@Irish I hate to dig up an older post but I tried to click on your link for the high density foam and it would just go straight to the site not the foam. I just wanted to very that this HD Foam is what you were talking about, I need to order some for my table. Thanks

It was out of stock for a long time and the link was removed, looks like they finally it got back

It was out of stock for a long time and the link was removed, looks like they finally it got back
Good deal, gonna put in an order today. So you recommend this over the closed cell stuff? My guys can get messy at times.

I don't like the closed cell foam, too firm. What are you using for a cloth?

I also just built a table from all of the advice in these threads and bought everything from YAT and went with the open cell 1/4” foam because I was worried about permanent impressions since the would be stored away when not in use (and some of my players are animals) and also because I saw that Chanman was moving to open cell as well. I love it.

I'm going to hopefully get a custom gaming suede from Chanman. I'm working on a design or trying to possibly source a design right now

I'm going to hopefully get a custom gaming suede from Chanman. I'm working on a design or trying to possibly source a design right now

Zero need for closed cell foam then, Tony's cloths are all but waterproof, spills will bead right up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom