Playing Surface Foam Choice: Poll (1 Viewer)

What foam did/would you use and why?

• Closed Cell (Volara) 1/4”

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Closed Cell (Volara) 3/8”

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Closed Cell (Volara) 1/8”

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Open Cell 1/4”

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • Open Cell 3/8”

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Open Cell 1/8”

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Quicksilver-75

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I should have asked this two weeks ago, but...
For anybody who has built or owns a custom table. What is your preferred playing surface foam thickness and why?

I voted 1/4 closed cell Volara but its my only reference point. I like the feel a lot my only complaint is that if you leave things on it it can leave impressions. I used my table as a desk the other day and my laptops rubber feet left impressions. I think after a day they bounced back completely

1/4" open cell from YAT. When I joined here and started building my table, Tony had mentioned that he was just starting to move to open cell. I prefer things to be a little durable and not require too much babying. I like the thickness for card scooping and it has the right amount of give. I would reorder for next time.

1/4” feels too stiff, not enough give to easily pick up cards. I prefer 3/8”. Closed cell makes more sense to me. Spilled drinks aren’t getting into the material.

Not volara, ever, under any circumstances. Can't stand the stuff.

I use 1/4" or 3/8" open cell foam, depending on the density (always medium-to-hard). Having the surface material being waterproof or water-resistent solves the spill issue.

Not volara, ever, under any circumstances. Can't stand the stuff.

Having the surface material being waterproof or water-resistent solves the spill issue.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^

1/4" or 3/16" neoprene.... end of story.

Sure, closed cell (Volara) is waterproof, but leave anything of any substantial weight on it for any length of time & it's dented.... permanently.

Not only that, it's too firm. Some open cell foams are too soft. Neoprene nails that sweet-spot.

Neoprene is classified as a "closed-cell" foam, & while water/liquid "resistant", is not 100% water-proof.

I used Volara for my 1st build. Did the 2nd with neoprene. Immediately went back & ripped the Volara off the 1st one.

See this topic..... https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/where-to-buy-1-4”-open-cell-foam-in-states.63573/

Last edited:
"Sew Foam" is WAY too soft for my liking. No real support at all. & making it 1/2" thick would only compound that issue.

Neoprene is my standard... if you want something softer than that your probably looking at a High Density Open Cell.

YAT was out of 1/4” open cell so went with the 1/3” open cell for my build! Haven’t played on it yet as I’m still building the table.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom