Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Quicksilver-75

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have asked this two weeks ago, but...
For anybody who has built or owns a custom table. What is your preferred playing surface foam thickness and why?

Jackypoo

Pair
Reaction score
I voted 1/4 closed cell Volara but its my only reference point. I like the feel a lot my only complaint is that if you leave things on it it can leave impressions. I used my table as a desk the other day and my laptops rubber feet left impressions. I think after a day they bounced back completely

Eloe2000

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1/4" open cell from YAT. When I joined here and started building my table, Tony had mentioned that he was just starting to move to open cell. I prefer things to be a little durable and not require too much babying. I like the thickness for card scooping and it has the right amount of give. I would reorder for next time.

Rhodeman77

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1/4” feels too stiff, not enough give to easily pick up cards. I prefer 3/8”. Closed cell makes more sense to me. Spilled drinks aren’t getting into the material.

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not volara, ever, under any circumstances. Can't stand the stuff.

I use 1/4" or 3/8" open cell foam, depending on the density (always medium-to-hard). Having the surface material being waterproof or water-resistent solves the spill issue.

Dix

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
The frozen mountain wilderness of W.Poland, Maine
Not volara, ever, under any circumstances. Can't stand the stuff.

Having the surface material being waterproof or water-resistent solves the spill issue.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^

1/4" or 3/16" neoprene.... end of story.

Sure, closed cell (Volara) is waterproof, but leave anything of any substantial weight on it for any length of time & it's dented.... permanently.

Not only that, it's too firm. Some open cell foams are too soft. Neoprene nails that sweet-spot.

Neoprene is classified as a "closed-cell" foam, & while water/liquid "resistant", is not 100% water-proof.

I used Volara for my 1st build. Did the 2nd with neoprene. Immediately went back & ripped the Volara off the 1st one.

See this topic..... https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/where-to-buy-1-4”-open-cell-foam-in-states.63573/

Last edited:

Dix

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
The frozen mountain wilderness of W.Poland, Maine
"Sew Foam" is WAY too soft for my liking. No real support at all. & making it 1/2" thick would only compound that issue.

Neoprene is my standard... if you want something softer than that your probably looking at a High Density Open Cell.

fourthstreet

Sitting Out
Reaction score
YAT was out of 1/4” open cell so went with the 1/3” open cell for my build! Haven’t played on it yet as I’m still building the table.

Top Bottom