Player Conflict: As Host, WWYD? (1 Viewer)

"That guy bets too much" isn't a good reason to uninvite someone from a game, and it sounds like that may be Player B's entire argument.

But you never know; maybe there's more to it. I'd ask Player B to have the other players he's allegedly speaking for to give their two cents before deciding anything. If it really does boil down to them not liking his style of play, that's their problem. If there really is a conduct issue, that's a whole other can of worms.

If it turns out there aren't actually other players complaining, and Player B was just exaggerating and threatening to leave to get his way, sounds like you have a conduct problem with Player B, unfortunately.

I used to play in a private 1/3 game or so and when the whale finally showed up it really started to hurt the game as he would be fine losing thousands a night he would do it all 20x opens, straddles to $50 etc

At first the host/player didn't mind because he made bank off of it... but then after awhile the whale stopped being a regular and his game could never recover.

So what ended up happening? We need the Paul Harvey.
I played a lot of moxie tournaments over the summer and I don't ever remember anybody being an ass in chat or being annoyingly agressive. I'm thinking it didn't end well for poor ole Milo.

I played a lot of moxie tournaments over the summer and I don't ever remember anybody being an ass in chat or being annoyingly agressive. I'm thinking it didn't end well for poor ole Milo.
Moral of the story, don’t be an asshole in a home game.

So what ended up happening? We need the Paul Harvey.
This just popped up randomly... I never realized I didn't follow up.

A few days after the OP I'd had a chance to play in a game and observe Milo's playing style and chat etiquette.

His banter was a little obnoxious at times but nothing outright mean-spirited or venomous. The issue wasn't what he was saying but he was choosing to engage in trash talk - players who tend to be more on the sensitive side and aren't there for that element.

So I made contact with Milo - whom I didn't know at all at the time and invited purely on the recommendation of another regular player:

Hey Man, Moxie Mike (PKoGR) here. Good playing with you lately in the Moxie Poker League... you are a worthy adversary... My reason for writing is to ask you a favor. Is there any way I can ask you to maybe scale back the trash talk with certain individuals? I'm all for it... with people like Dave and I it's a welcome element. But for some other people like [removed] and [removed] and [removed] for instance it actually makes the experience less enjoyable and therefore they are less likely to participate. Recruiting regular players is difficult - and we're trying to foster an environment where everyone is comfortable. So while I'm sure you don't mean any harm or disrespect, some people just don't enjoy that element. Thanks for understanding. See you at the tables! MJ

This was met with a polite, contrite response from Milo and after a cordial exchange, I considered the matter settled.

Until a day or two later when Milo unexpectedly resigned from the Moxie Poker League - essentially stating he didn't want to play with players who didn't want him there. My attempts to assure him that that isn't the case failed and he preferred to just leave the group.

There is another *Stars league local to the GR area that many Moxie players participate in - Milo included. Over time I got to know Milo and I invited him to the only live game I hosted in the last year (during one of the lulls in the lockdown last summer where the powers that be declared that it was ok to gather again).

It turned out that Milo isn't the player that Player 'B' thought he remembered from live play - and the two are actually friends. So after a little bit of time, I re-invited Milo to the group explaining that the whole thing was a case of mistaken identity. Milo graciously accepted and still plays with us to this day.

I'll send a PM with some additional details.

Last edited:
Kudos for Milo for choosing to avoid a game that didn't fit his style, rather than taking the position that his style was fine and appropriate and other should adapt to him.

Also, if P* chat bothers you, why not just switch to another tab, like STATS or INFO?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom