Played the 30K guaranteed tourney at Derby Lane again (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
203 entrants, top 20 paid. A bit over 34K in the prize pool. Players start with 40K chips and blinds at 50/100 with 30 minute levels.

Some really dumb plays I saw early on. Guy three-bets with :td::8d: and then a completely different player repops it HUGE to 17K. Mister s00ted calls the raise OOP, then flops a gutshot and gets all his chips in. Rivers the 9 but the board has four-flushed to give the guy with Kings the win.

Another hand a guy raises in EP, I shove with AK off and fold equity. A third player who hasn't put a dime in the pot yet cold-calls with KQ off, original raiser repops to isolate with AK suited, the KQ guy calls. Then the flop is :th::9h::4c: and the :as::ks: shoves and the guy with :kc::qh: calls off his stack (he started the hand with about 90k, I think blinds were maybe 400/800 at this point) chasing his gutshot. Turn 4 river J to get him there and bust us both, lol.

REBUY!

I manage to stay alive below the average stack throughout most of the event. We're down to 34 players and it's folded to the button who makes a smallish raise. I'm in the BB with KJ and short-stacked with fold equity and make the shove. He thinks for a bit and calls with KQ but I flop the J and hold to get lucky.

I then continually grow my stack, eventually hitting 150K. But at that point the average stack is 290K and the blinds are 8K/16K with a 2K ante so it's still a shove fest. We're down to 28 players, top 20 get paid.

MP minraises to 16K, a lady makes it 80K and I'm in the BB with KK and shove it in. She calls with AJ off and the flop brings the Ace to send me packing. Meh, I got lucky to get there when my KJ sucked out, so can't be too mad.

203 entrants, top 20 paid. A bit over 34K in the prize pool. Players start with 40K chips and blinds at 50/100 with 30 minute levels.

Some really dumb plays I saw early on. Guy three-bets with :td::8d: and then a completely different player repops it HUGE to 17K. Mister s00ted calls the raise OOP, then flops a gutshot and gets all his chips in. Rivers the 9 but the board has four-flushed to give the guy with Kings the win.

Another hand a guy raises in EP, I shove with AK off and fold equity. A third player who hasn't put a dime in the pot yet cold-calls with KQ off, original raiser repops to isolate with AK suited, the KQ guy calls. Then the flop is :th::9h::4c: and the :as::ks: shoves and the guy with :kc::qh: calls off his stack (he started the hand with about 90k, I think blinds were maybe 400/800 at this point) chasing his gutshot. Turn 4 river J to get him there and bust us both, lol.

REBUY!

I manage to stay alive below the average stack throughout most of the event. We're down to 34 players and it's folded to the button who makes a smallish raise. I'm in the BB with KJ and short-stacked with fold equity and make the shove. He thinks for a bit and calls with KQ but I flop the J and hold to get lucky.

I then continually grow my stack, eventually hitting 150K. But at that point the average stack is 290K and the blinds are 8K/16K with a 2K ante so it's still a shove fest. We're down to 28 players, top 20 get paid.

MP minraises to 16K, a lady makes it 80K and I'm in the BB with KK and shove it in. She calls with AJ off and the flop brings the Ace to send me packing. Meh, I got lucky to get there when my KJ sucked out, so can't be too mad.

I like trip reports. Thanks.

The idiocy you see at tournaments is laughable. When the idiocy is rewarded, it's painful.
Not idiocy rewarded, but yesterday, angry guy raises to 4 big blinds pre, UTG. Older woman flats. She calls his raises on the flop, turn, and river, and then guts furious to see his pocket kings 2-pair is beaten by her pocket nines house. He can't believe she would call his raise preflop with 9's. Everybody else at the table agrees that it was a good call, and he rants about how he can't play here because everybody is so bad.
He threw a chair when his straight got coolered a little while later. Bye bye, angry guy.

So I just asked the lady who runs the room what changes they made to the structure, since I definitely noticed they had ramped it up a bit to try and cut down on the end time (it's been ending around 5am, starts at 1pm, and usually ends in a 5-7 way chop)

So level 18 used to be:

4k/8k with a 500 ante

now it's

8k/16k with a 2k ante.

I don't mind them adjusting the structure to keep it from running too late, but I think that change was a bit too far in the opposite direction. Hopefully they'll continue adjusting it to find the right balance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom