Play the hand with me. (1 Viewer)

I'm in the check / call camp. Leading into 1 villain seems reasonable, but leading into 2 seems a little too ambitious. Hoping for the check through or a bet from V1 and a call from V2 making an easy call for you.

Leading with a blocker size bet of $40 or $50 is a second option.

I open with a $40 bet. Villain #1 raises to $140, Villain #2 snap pushes all-in. Looks to be about $200ish to call.

Action?

5B9EAD6D-6281-4A9D-9DE4-1FA0841E1149.jpeg

Getting just a hair over 3:1 in a spot where you're about 3.5:1 to win if you're up against only flushes. If one of your opponents has two pair, it hurts your chances a lot, and if a set, you have a one-outer. Given the betting, chances of the set being good are very slim. Fold and save your $200+.

Raise to $10 pre
$20-25 on the flop
$40 on the turn

Cry/fold to the raise and ship :vomit:

Easy fold IMO. Assuming you can take the implied odds benefit of the raiser calling the shove when you call, and that you're against a made flush and some combo draw or nut flush draw loose call, you still are not getting the odds. And you can easily be against a flush and higher set and are totally toast. You'd have to have the planets align to be up against an overpair and something like AcTx who are both way overplaying their hands multi-way. Even then you lose like 20% of the time I think, so you have to believe you're up against that situation something like >60% of the time to be +EV, which seems optimistic. Though since this is a thread I bet that's what happened!

I’m folding and immediately throwing up when the 5 hits the river.

OP seems to be questioning his play. I doubt he'd be questioning a fold here with a 5 coming on the river. I think two draws/lesser hands (that don't improve) are more likely.

I still think you fold the set of fives here. Position sucks.

As most of you guessed, I mucked.

Villain 1 calls the all-in and flips over :qs::7h:. Villain turns over :ad::kh:. River is a blank and 2 pair takes the pot.

Hero holds: :5d::5s:
Flop comes: :5c::7d::tc:
Turn brings: :qc:
River is: :4s:

Is there any way to find a call there?

As most of you guessed, I mucked.

Villain 1 calls the all-in and flips over :qs::7h:. Villain turns over :ad::kh:. River is a blank and 2 pair takes the pot.

Hero holds: :5d::5s:
Flop comes: :5c::7d::tc:
Turn brings: :qc:
River is: :4s:

Barring either seeing their cards or having a read that both these players are prone to playing for stacks light...no. This is beyond the best case scenario for your hand to be against. In general with action like this you will be up against a flush and two pair. This call is a massive leak over a large number of hands. Obviously feels like a gut punch against this but this is not a profitable spot to call in the long run.

Edit*** Also the second pusher had air against a board that could already have him drawing dead and TWO players who are betting aggressively???? That is why in so many of these strategy threads I find myself advocating that in these lower limit games guys can push with anything. So often you hear “oh there’s no way he’s pushing without the nuts here.” In $1/$2 guys do head scratchers all the time.

Last edited:
You should feel good about your fold.

I’d almost never expect to be ahead when two people jam in front of you like that. You can’t account for that level of idiocy.

I wouldn’t bother thinking anymore about this hand. It would have been a bad call.

That's crazy. My knee-jerk reaction was that these guys know each other and muscled you out of the pot on purpose. The Q7 I guess I can see making that bet thinking his hand is good, but the AK? He can't even raise enough to make anyone fold—except you.

Or they're just horribly bad players. That's always a possibility.

I think the turn is close. I was just messing around with your UTG open range, getting two callers. Since you didn't have any 2-P and probably no off suit A other than maybe AKo, when you start counting combos to check/fold and check/call on the turn you really get close to your 55s. You have 3 combos of nut flushes, maybe more, all the sets, and KK+. You should be check/folding JJ-, AKo and random Ax non-clubs. All you have below 55 is AA and KK. I think I like the check/call better but don't hate the lead. (yes, I'm using a tight UTG opening range)

Q7 raising your lead is awful IMO, let alone his pre-flop call, which is also awful. The AKo shove without the :ac: against 2 players on a lead/raise pot is awful as well.

You played well IMO. I don't think you can call there unless you know the Villains are awful. Not much you can do.

I think you should be asking, "is there anyway I could have gotten these hands to fold the turn?"

In isolation, there is no play other than fold on the turn after the raise +jam after you lead out. I don't think Q7 is folding his two pair, and although a bigger lead may leave AK with the ability to re-raised, will he stack off on a four-outer? He's already shown the propensity to shove on a thin (possibly dead) draw on the river.

Last edited:
I think the meaningful takeaway here is sometimes this game makes you eat a turd sandwich. The real trick is to stay disciplined and continue to do the right thing even when you get kicked in the nuts for it.

I think the meaningful takeaway here is sometimes this game makes you eat a turd sandwich. The real trick is to stay disciplined and continue to do the right thing even when you get kicked in the nuts for it.
Actually one other takeaway you should be thinking at the table. On a long enough timeline these guys will always eventually pass you their stack if they play like this. It’s just about finding the spot.

Good fold IMO. Take a note that the Q7 guy is overvaluing his made hands and that the AK guy is an idiot/maniac.

I wish it would have worked out for me that way but the villain who had 2 pair ended up with over $1,000 in less than an hour. He hit the deck on almost every hand no matter what two cards he was holding. I ended up playing until about 4:00 AM and left the table with $200.

I'm going to be checking this flop here most of the time to disguise my set here and check calling any bets. On the turn you're going to have to check call instead of check raising due to the flush hitting. Reevaluate the river depending if we boat up or if another club comes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom