Play ONLINE with Pocket 5's (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Game is .10/.25 NLHE. 7-handed, fairly active table. We've been playing 1.5 hours.

I am wondering about the villain's play, and also how one might respond if we vary our holdings in certain circumstances?

The villain to note is in MP and is very active, raising/calling very light at times. His raise rate is around 80% pre (if opening). When raised to him, his call rate is around the same. He was in SB in another hand and called a 5x raise by me with 73 (and won)… He's got $32

It's low stakes online stuff, so play/plan accordingly.

UTG limps for $.25.

MP raises to $1.25 (very standard on this table, if not on the low side)

I'm in LP with :5h::5s: and a stack of $35. I flat.

The Button Flats, the SB folds, the BB flats. Pot is $5.10

Flop comes :ts::js::5d:

The BB ($15) leads out for $2

MP 3-bets to $7.90.

Pot is now $15, action on us... What do we do? We have a set, so fold is not an option... flat? raise?

Now, an extra credit side-question (cuz I'm exploring options), what would we do in this spot holding AJ, and not a set...?

Screenshot taken a few orbits later. FYI. For perspective.

One move only, and that is to shove. Flops with 10J hit about 80% of preflop playable hands. Villians have something that connected to this board most of the time. It is a loose very low takes game, get it in now while they will pay for their draws.

Second question first. . .

If I hold AJo, it goes in the muck preflop. AJo leads to trouble post flop when you are not the preflop aggressor. You don't know if a pair of jacks is second place to an over pair. You don't know if a pair of aces has kicker problems. Lots of potential problems solved by not getting involved.

Lets say it is AJs, which I would lean towards playing. BB makes a micro bet followed by a less than pot sized all-in raise from the original raiser. Hero is in a tough spot now. I am not enthusiastic for the same reasons I don't like AJo. I might call with a back door flush draw with deep stacks, but I think a fold is still best here with shallow stacks.

First question - what to do with bottom set?

@trever makes a perfectly reasonable suggestion, jam and make life easier. Making life easier for Hero / harder for the villains is normally a sound line to take.

Once Hero calls the bets he owes the pot is $23. The original raiser is all-in. Button has $13. The big blind a bit more than $18. No reason to make fancy plays. Jam it in and hope for the best. Every good draw is getting a fair price to call, so Hero has to dodge a bunch of bad cards.

DrStrange

Jam. There's really no other play here unless BB or MP is super-nitty.

You're almost certainly ahead, so get the money in while everyone is good and willing. There are very few turn cards that will make you feel comfortable betting, so it's better to shove now.

You may also improve your chances of winning by chasing out, say, an open-ender who (rightly) doesn't want to put his whole stack in when his draw isn't even clean. You may end up still getting called by a draw, but the fewer outs you have to fade, the better.

Well, once the Dr has spoken, rarely will we get a better answer.

Action comes to me, I shove. It folds to the villain in MP who snap calls, and turns over :kc::jh:

I was surprised by the snap call... I ran the numbers and MP had around 5% equity.

The turn brought a sweat with the :9c: giving MP 9% equity. But the river bricked out, and I scooped.

My buddy, a thinking player, and I were discussing the hand after (he is Mantanza on the game screen and Paul for those who have played the MTTD). We've all seen bad play online, so nothing is shocking. We wondered about a player who could 3-bet with KJo, then snap off a $30 4-bet shove... when I'm never doing that without 2-pr plus. Hell, even AJ is within my range (and my lowest ranged hand that could 4-bet him there).

I was fairly confident in my flop shove, but wanted to see what others thought, and also discuss the possible ranges that could 4-bet shove there (and get called by KJ...).

Yeah I agree this is a mandatory shove given you can only raise it another 20. Also three fives is the absolute top of your range assuming you are 3 betting JJ or TT pre.

I don't think the call preflop is mandatory against a 5x sizing, but you did get the action you wanted and villian is 120ish BB deep so it's okay. Fold is okay too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom