Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
$260 buyin 40k guaranteed at Derby Lane Poker Room in St Pete Fl

Ante 25
Blinds 150/300

Folds to villian in CU who raises to 750
Button calls, SB folds

CU is mostly TAG but can get tricky and steal in spots. Button is TAG.

Hero in BB on a stack of 32k, both villians cover

Hero looks down at :ks::kh:

Hero?

$260 buyin 40k guaranteed at Derby Lane Poker Room in St Pete Fl

Ante 25
Blinds 150/300

Folds to villian in CU who raises to 750
Button calls, SB folds

CU is mostly TAG but can get tricky and steal in spots. Button is TAG.

Hero in BB on a stack of 32k, both villians cover

Hero looks down at :ks::kh:

Hero?

Is there any other option but raising here? :confused:

I make it 2.6K

Last edited:
Hero takes into account there was a raiser and caller, and reraises to 3200

Cutoff calls, button folds. 7400 in the pot, hero has 28800 behind

Hero opts to be unconventional in this spot and checks dark

Flop :2d::4c::6d:

Villian checks behind.

Turn :9c:

Hero?

After I check dark and he checks behind, I'm lying on the floor and asking a friend to pick the chair up and repeatedly smash one of the legs down on my forehead.

Then I'm betting 7K on the turn. If I survive.

The cycle time for decisions in this thread is too fast. I'd have liked a discussion about the flop decision to check dark before seeing the flop and action. Checking dark is a play we see relatively often but never discuss the merits of the play. It could easily be that checking dark was the most important play of the hand.

It's difficult to show the flop and give an. Option to check dark before it comes. My thought process was that he won't put me on KK with that line

I agree checking dark here is a really bad play...... you are the pre flop aggressor and you should be betting every board that doesn't have an ace on it.......... even if there is an ace I'm still betting a good percentage of the the time............ it is also pretty likely that the villain is going to check behind if he doesnt hit big because he was re raised before the flop and he's probably putting you on a big pair............. if you just called pre flop, and the villain always c-bets, and you are planning on check raising..........then maybe a check dark is ok..........i can't remember the last time I checked in the dark though I don't like it and I think it is a weak play........

On the turn I make a pot sized bet.......

Check dark to look weak has now put you in a shit position. Villain thinks you are weak because that's what you told him.

Like the reraise, hate the check dark.... I would keep hitting at it until the board gets dirty or an ace hits.

The reraise by the villian either means he thinks your full of it because of the dark check, or he hit trips. Either way, you assisted in it happening. Either ride high and push with your kings, or accept the hand was played iffy and dump them.

Since it looks like you had a read on him, how did the CU view your play before this hand started?

Since it looks like you had a read on him, how did the CU view your play before this hand started?

Mostly TAG

Villians bet has Hero in a quandry. If Hero calls he is committed for stacks and is either way ahead or way behind. If Hero folds he still has a very workable stack

Hero wound up fearing 99 was a distinct possibility here and folded. Villian showed :ah::kh: for the bluff (although he was convinced he had the best hand given how I played it. So my plan worked, I just failed to follow through with it)

Hero wound up getting to a low of 18k, making some nice double ups and building his stack to 145k when the avg was 70k

Finished 50th of 241, top 24 paid

Hand that killed me was LP with KQ in shove fold mode running into AT on the button and AA in the blinds and a board with ATT on it, lol

I agree that you might be more patient with your start threads (slow down). Give more folks a chance to respond. Seems like you're only allowing one or two replies, then You're hitting us with the results or next street. :)

Also, I agree this hand was played rather poortly. I've checked dark in rare spots, but never as the preflop aggressor and with a premium hand... what if the villain hit his A on the turn? You gave him a free card.

Also, I don't like the fold. You tried to trap, and portrayed weakness. Then when your opponent does what you ask of him, you run away.

Otherwise, thanks for sharing the hand. :)

I agree that you might be more patient with your start threads (slow down). Give more folks a chance to respond. Seems like you're only allowing one or two replies, then You're hitting us with the results or next street. :)

Also, I agree this hand was played rather poortly. I've checked dark in rare spots, but never as the preflop aggressor and with a premium hand... what if the villain hit his A on the turn? You gave him a free card.

Also, I don't like the fold. You tried to trap, and portrayed weakness. Then when your opponent does what you ask of him, you run away.

Otherwise, thanks for sharing the hand. :)

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Here's another way to look at it. Suppose you bet the flop and the villain raises. Are you folding you KK? Let say he calls and you bet the turn and he raises? Are you folding KK? There are a number of hands the villain could have that he may play exactly like this and you have him dominated. A suited Big A like he had. A suited A that has paired the board and gives him a flush draw. 78 of clubs or diamonds (although that would be pretty light). QQ, JJ, or 1010. Point is there are lots of hands he could have and raise that you still whoop up on. If he has a set well so be it. Shit happens.

A raise to 1950 is what my gut says to do.

No where near big enough! There is one caller already, we are out of position and we are playing a relatively low level buy in LIVE game, where generally people like to see flops rather than folding! I'd go for 3500

Everything

OK I guess we'll agree to disagree, but 1950 is too small no matter what game you are in. All the responses in this thread (and the OP) agree with that, and I'm sure most winning players would say the same. Would you size AK or JJ like that for example? May aswell turn your hand face up

Damn, you butchered this hand. I don't think I ever have seen the pre flop agressor check dark. And when that terrible play maybe kind of worked, making the opponent raise on the turn, you fold the very top of your range?? At least preflop was ok.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom