Play JJ with me - live Super Stack Blitz Tourney (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Players start with 30K chips but blinds go up every 15 minutes so folks get real shallow later in the tourney.

Blinds: 600/1200 (200 ante per player)

Avg Stack: 35K
Heros Seat 4: 56K
Villain#1 - Seat 3: 38K (seems relatively tight/straightforward type player)
Villain #2 - Seat 6: 40K (doesn't seem to get too out of line, very talkative, not tight but not loose, somewhere in between)

The button is on Seat 7. Villain #1 limps for 1200

Pot: 4,800

Hero looks down at :jc::jd:, Hero?

Last edited:
Players start with 30K chips but blinds go up every 15 minutes so folks get real shallow later in the tourney.

Villain #2 - Seat 6: 40K (doesn't seem to get too out of line, very talkative, not tight but not loose, somewhere in between)

Hero looks down at :jc::jd:, Hero raises to 5K

Villain #2 says "ok I'm with ya bud!" and calls 5K
Villain #1 calls 5K

Flop: :8s::7d::2s:

Pot: 18,600
Villain #1 - 33K left
Villain #2 - 35K left
Hero: 51K left

Villain #1 checks
Hero ?

Small flop bet now to set up a jam on most turns (slow down on ace, king, spade, 6)

5k-6k seems fine. Call down if V1 or V2 goes over the top

You're likely ahead of both of them, but it won't be surprising if one or both of them got a piece of that board. I want to keep the pot small but I don't want to be giving free cards in a multi-way pot on a board like this. I think I'd go something like 7K and hope to take it down or at least be heads up (hopefully w/ V1).

Setting up a turn jam if a safe card comes . I’m likely to go with 9k-10k. No free cards if they’ve connected with a straight or flush draw.

It seems to me that this tournament is already pretty shallow. SB = 600, BB = 1,200, ante = 1,800 (200x9?) for a total of 3,600 in chips each hand. Average stack is 35,000. So the average "M" is just under 10.

This should already be a shove festival from the players with below average stacks. I wonder if Hero shouldn't be doing that as well. If not now, very, very soon.

I don't grasp the tournament strategy of micro betting. Yes I know it is quite popular and that there must be some good math behind the idea. But it seems to me that a bet less than half pot invites everyone with a draw to come into the pot. Is Hero planning to check / fold the turn on a scary card? There are only a handful of "safe" cards that don't make a flush, straight, pair the board or put an overcard bigger than a jack in play. Even a full half pot bet might not be enough to keep out most of the draws.

If Hero does plan to fold to aggression on the 80% of the turns that threaten Hero's hand, maybe it is better to decide on the flop to jam or fold.

If Hero isn't so easy to fold, then the micro bets + implied odds means everyone with a modest piece of the flop can profitably draw.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would take the time to explain the thinking behind such small bets. The best justification I could propose is that Hero can draw weaker hands into calling several streets of micro bets and stack someone with top pair.

I agree that this is already a pretty short stacked tourney. I'm betting big here and putting these guys to a decision.

Im betting pot and I'm prepared to call aJam from either player.

If they both jam I might find a fold.

Villain #1 calls 5K

Villain #1 - 33K left
Villain #2 - 35K left

Villain #1 checks
Hero bets 8K
Villain #2 shoves all-in for 27K more
Villain #1 folds

Pot: 53,600
Hero's remaining stack: 43K

Hero must call 27K more to continue, Hero?

fwiw, I bet the 8k figuring that was sufficient to get the job done, discouraging draws or fancy plays against me, while leaving myself room to consider a decision if I was put to one

I think you gotta call. It's a pretty draw heavy board, and you are ahead of most of those draws.

Also if he has two pair you have a decent redraw. Only thing that we really dont want to see is a set.

Call all day. Unlikely that villain holds a bigger pocket pair as he would’ve likely 3 bet pre. Your only really worried about 8-7 and sets. He’s probably drawing.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would take the time to explain the thinking behind such small bets. The best justification I could propose is that Hero can draw weaker hands into calling several streets of micro bets and stack someone with top pair.

The solvers like high frequency 1/3 pot continuation bets on the flop, from whomever has the range advantage. It’s tough to play against...you’re opponent has the odds to call with all kinds of stuff that whiffs the flop, but is putting themselves in sticky spots for turn and river.

On this specific instance, my thinking was purely what are the effective stacks since folks are kind of short. 6k bet will leave just under pot behind for the turn.

I would probably call but that little chit chat pre flop seems like he was slow playing and has you crushed. Big over pair who doesn't like the texture of this board and realizes he shouldn't have been getting tricky so now wants to protect.

Villain #1 calls 5K

Villain #1 - 33K left
Villain #2 - 35K left

Villain #1 checks
Hero bets 8K
Villain #2 shoves all-in for 27K more
Villain #1 folds

Pot: 53,600
Hero's remaining stack: 43K

Hero must call 27K more to continue, Hero?

fwiw, I bet the 8k figuring that was sufficient to get the job done, discouraging draws or fancy plays against me, while leaving myself room to consider a decision if I was put to one

I opted to fold here. I had Villain covered, hadn't given off an image of a maniac to make him think I was betting light in that spot, and in my experience players bluff a lot less than you'd think, and oftentimes big bets mean just what they should mean, big hands.

I had to consider his range here. If he held QQ/KK/AA I would expect he's repopping my raise preflop most of the time. It's not impossible for him to show up with those hands, but I weighed them less given the likelihood I'd face a 3-bet pre.

TT was a possibility, thinking it was good and maybe putting me on an AK type hand that couldn't call. But, given I hadn't gotten out of line if he held TT he might just smooth-call, afraid I had a higher pair.

:as::ks: or :as::qs: were certainly possible, although I'd expect a reraise sometimes with the AK holding there. And of course 88 or 77 were certainly in Villains range as well.

I hated laying it down and agonized over the decision for a bit. But I just figured the players in these tourneys I usually encounter aren't barreling off with nothing for their stack when rebuys are closed frequently enough for me to make the call.

I flipped over my :jc::jd: and said "I guess this is no good" and the lady between us was like "how are you laying down that hand on that flop????!!!" (later deep in the tourney she would limp :5s::6s: when the blinds were super high, then call a shove and crack Aces with it and exclaim "gotta play those suited connectors!"

But I digress, Villain flipped over :8d::8h: and I managed to stave off a big loss fortunately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom