Play Along - Dallas Cowboys GM (1 Viewer)

Meddler2

Full House
Reaction score
It's play along time as the new general manager of the Dallas Cowboys.
You find yourself with the #1 or #2 pick in next year's draft. For whatever reason your owner didn't make Dak your franchise QB and now he's suffered a potentially career diminishing injury. If you franchise tag him again next season, it'll cost you a projected $38m per year.

The projected annual salary of a rookie QB is $9m.

FYI over past 22 games the NYJ and Cowboys have same record and Dak is 6-11 as a starter his last 17 games. If you happen to be in position to draft QB Lawrence or QB Fields, it would only cost you 9m/yr for 4 years; $36m over that span. That's less than what it's gonna cost to sign Dak for just one year ($38m/yr). So $36,000,000 over four years or $152,000,000 over the same time period? That's buys a shit-ton of defensive upgrade and offensive line help.

I know what I would do.

The question is, what would you do?

p.s. you are replacing JJ as the GM and the decision is yours alone to make.

Last edited:
Tag Prescott and trade the pick. You know QB needy teams will pay a huge price to move up and the Cowboys have needs on the offensive line and at every single position on that defense. Your needs are so massive. Trading the pic will let you fill so many holes in that roster. Players have come back from Prescott's injury and been just fine. You need a pass rush, a sideline to sideline linebacker, multiple guys who can cover in the secondary, and at least 2 offensive linemen. Trade the pick.

How many college QBs who are supposed to be the second coming of Patrick Mahomes have actually panned out? Mitchell Trubisky was picked 2nd, 8 picks ahead of Mahomes, just a thought.

Tag Prescott and trade the pick. You know QB needy teams will pay a huge price to move up and the Cowboys have needs on the offensive line and at every single position on that defense. Your needs are so massive. Trading the pic will let you fill so many holes in that roster. Players have come back from Prescott's injury and been just fine. You need a pass rush, a sideline to sideline linebacker, multiple guys who can cover in the secondary, and at least 2 offensive linemen. Trade the pick.
If we consider the Chiefs and Seahawks model i.e. draft high QB and use savings cap space and add all the missing pieces on D and O-line.

In my mind, is Dak $30,000,000/yr better than Trevor Lawrence?...

How many college QBs who are supposed to be the second coming of Patrick Mahomes have actually panned out? Mitchell Trubisky was picked 2nd, 8 picks ahead of Mahomes, just a thought.
Trubisky was a stretch at best at 2nd and was a shock pick but yes your point is well taken. QB projections can be as mysterious and off-target as political pollsters.

If we consider the Chiefs and Seahawks model i.e. draft high QB and use savings cap space and add all the missing pieces on D and O-line.

In my mind, is Dak $30,000,000/yr better than Trevor Lawrence?...
The Chiefs and Seahawks model has something the Allas Cowboys (there is NO D THERE) don't have. Cap space. If you go the Trevor Lawrence route it means you are rebuilding. That means trade Amari Cooper (you can get something for him) cut Big Zeke (I wouldn't give you a bag of chips for that fumbling fool so trading him is out of the question) maybe you can trade Martin (maybe not) and cut Demarcus Lawrence (nobody will take that contract) and spend next year in salary cap hell. Not good. Tagging Prescott let's you get a year to make sure he is healthy, and trading the pick and drafting what you need gives you rookie contracts so you can fit it all under the cap.

The real problem here is NOT the Prescott injury. The real problem in Allas is a bad GM has loaded this roster down with terrible contracts for several years. Your initial premise with this posting is all you need to know about what is happening with the Cowboys. A bunch of home poker players can make a better GM than the one the Cowboys currently have.

I'm in no way a cowboys fan, but i think Jerry is pretty damn cool. He got the money, so he is just playing fantasy football for real, haha. He is no good at it, but that doesn't stop him.

I think they should sign Prescott and trade the pick or draft the highest graded player on their board.

Solid points with regard to bloated contracts. But also makes the point that neither 3 (dak, baker, darnold) is $30m/better than what Lawrence is expected to be.
Josh Allen was supposed to be garbage too. Guess what buddy?

trade the pick or draft the highest graded player on their board.
Drafting the highest player on the board might not help. They Cowboys are redefining what bad is as we speak. If anything, the Cowboys and their cap situation is actually making a case for resigning Andy Dalton (you can get him cheap), letting Dak Prescott go (I know it is terrible to do that to a guy but hey this is a business here), trading the pick to get multiple picks, and looking for a QB in 2022.

@Meddler2 you should also stop thinking about Trevor Lawrence. The Cowboys are bad, but as long as Adam Gase is still employed there is no way you can be worse than the dumpster fire known as the New York Jets. The real name you should be thinking about is Justin Fields

@Meddler2 you should also stop thinking about Trevor Lawrence. The Cowboys are bad, but as long as Adam Gase is still employed there is no way you can be worse than the dumpster fire known as the New York Jets. The real name you should be thinking about is Justin Fields
As bad as the jets are, they have a slightly easier schedule and likely will win more games than dallas. Lawrence/Fields same dilemma. Pay $9m per year for rookie QB or $38+? For Dak.

The real problem here is NOT the Prescott injury. The real problem in Allas is a bad GM has loaded this roster down with terrible contracts for several years. Your initial premise with this posting is all you need to know about what is happening with the Cowboys. A bunch of home poker players can make a better GM than the one the Cowboys currently have.
I think the real problem is that garbage head coach Mike Mcarthy.
I’d fire him today

I think the real problem is that garbage head coach Mike Mcarthy.
I’d fire him today

100% agree. He's a joke of a HC.
Cowboy fans you can't have it both ways. You were calling for Jason Garrett's head on a stick for years. The answer is not always "fire the coach".

Look, I know how it is. I am from Buffalo. My Bills were TERRIBLE for a very long time. It sucks. You are looking for the quick fix cure all. Only one problem with firing coach after coach after coach. The coach isn't the one on the field on Sunday. The coach isn't the one blowing coverage, or fumbling the football, or missing tackles, or running wrong routes. ESPNs Ryan Clark was asked what is wrong in little D (with that defense I refuse to call them big D) and he said "the players are not playing for the star on the helmet or the name on the jersey. They are playing for the name on the check." My Buffalo Bills did the same thing. As good a coach as Sean McDermott is, Brandon Beane had to come in and "blow up the locker room", ridding the team of all the bad players before Sean McDermott could turn it around.

You go with the rookie qb (and rookie qb contract) and spend the money elsewhere. That is going to be how you win in todays nfl.

Half my table are rabid dallas fans. All of them want MIke Mc fired. Heck, one of them wants Garrett back and Elliot gone. It's a wild bunch.

As a Browns fan, they now know what it feels like. Savor it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom