Play a hand with me on the money bubble (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
6 handed on money bubble of a $40 online tournament. 21 entrants, top 5 get paid (we square up via pp).

The structure of these events is absolutely fantastic, although this is a special holiday event for the 4th so it's even deeper (20k chips with 15 minute blinds). The majority of this field is very soft. Calling stations, payoff artists. There's a couple of decent players, but on the whole most are pretty bad (never saw a J2 s00ted UTG they didn't like)

For the past few weeks I've been bubbling the final table in fields of 20-35 players, so we're feeling great at the final table 2nd in chips.

me button - 109k
sb - 19k
BB - 34K
UTG - 182K
UTG+1 - 27k
UTG+2 - 47K

800/1600 blinds with 200 ante

UTG chip leader limps for 1600, I have :js::jh: on the button and ???

EDIT: Here are my notes on this player

DONKEY
37 off in the blinds check-calls a bet on a 56K two club board chasing gutshot
A8 offsuit called preflop raise OOP
Q9 s00ted on an AK8 flop check-calls a bet?
A4 off limps button, calls half pot bet on a KQ4 flop, minraises turn 4, bets half pot on Q river

Last edited:
Limps from UTG with several short stacks scream please raise me I have monster!!! I’m playing cautiously here.

Does the action fold to Hero?

I’m only calling if it did and looking to play a small pot unless we flop big.

Based on your description of the players (badd calling station, calling j2 utg...) if this particular villain fits that description, i am raising to 5bb.
If he is a competent player maybe i would just call.

I updated the OP with my notes on this player:

DONKEY
A4 off limps button, calls half pot bet on a KQ4 flop, minraises turn 4, bets half pot on Q river

I updated the OP with my notes on this player:

DONKEY
Based on this, i am definitely raising 5-6bb.

6 handed on money bubble of a $40 online tournament. 21 entrants, top 5 get paid (we square up via pp).

The structure of these events is absolutely fantastic, although this is a special holiday event for the 4th so it's even deeper (20k chips with 15 minute blinds). The majority of this field is very soft. Calling stations, payoff artists. There's a couple of decent players, but on the whole most are pretty bad (never saw a J2 s00ted UTG they didn't like)

For the past few weeks I've been bubbling the final table in fields of 20-35 players, so we're feeling great at the final table 2nd in chips.

me button - 109k
sb - 19k
BB - 34K
UTG - 182K
UTG+1 - 27k
UTG+2 - 47K

UTG chip leader limps for 1600, I have :js::jh: on the button and raise to 5,500. UTG calls

FLOP: :td::tc::6c:

POT SIZE: 14,600

UTG Checks to Hero, Hero ??????

With your description, I agree with the PF three bet. I also bet this flop and get more info, hoping he flat calls and checs the turn. I am probably checking every non-jack turn, so I don't mind a larger flop bet, like 10k.

Definitely not going broke on this hand.

With your description, I agree with the PF three bet. I also bet this flop and get more info, hoping he flat calls and checs the turn. I am probably checking every non-jack turn, so I don't mind a larger flop bet, like 10k.

Definitely not going broke on this hand.
There's no 3bet pre. UTG limped and hero raised on the button.

me button - 109k
sb - 19k
BB - 34K
UTG - 182K
UTG+1 - 27k
UTG+2 - 47K

UTG chip leader limps for 1600, I have :js::jh: on the button and raise to 5,500. UTG calls

UTG Checks to Hero, Hero bets 8,900, UTG calls

Turn: :8d:
POT SIZE: 32,400

Villain checks, Hero ???

Best I can tell, villain is a calling station, not a wild LAG betting machine. He will put his money in bad. And if he bets or worse, check-raises then Hero's over-pair is toast. The data is limited but this one looks trick-trappy when he choses to be the aggressor.

Calling stations call too much. Hero should exploit that, raise preflop, bet flop and bet turn. Fold to a check raise unimproved. Let's bet 14,000. Worst case hero is still second chip stack.

I suggest checking behind many rivers. Well over half of rivers are scare cards. Folding to any aggression that isn't micro tiny.

DrStrange

me button - 109k
sb - 19k
BB - 34K
UTG - 182K
UTG+1 - 27k
UTG+2 - 47K

Villain checks, Hero checks behind

River :7h:

Villain fires 32,400 (pot sized bet), Hero has around 95K left, Hero ?????

Fold. Too many nines and tens in villain's range. Much more of a fold if he does this with you betting the turn (vs checking), but you set yourself up to him firing on the river with almost anything.

me button - 109k
sb - 19k
BB - 34K
UTG - 182K
UTG+1 - 27k
UTG+2 - 47K

Villain checks, Hero checks behind

River :7h:

Villain fires 32,400 (pot sized bet), Hero has around 95K left, Hero FOLDS

Hero opted for pot control on the turn to avoid going broke with a good, but not great hand, against the only player in the field that can bust him. We are too deep and the structure is too good to get myself pot committed there.

In addition, it sets Villain up to think they may be ahead with a non-paired but strong ace on the river, or to try and bluff at it. The majority of Villains in this field when bluffing will do so with fairly weakish bets. Generally speaking, BIG bets mean BIG hands.

Villain claimed to have a "set" this hand but did not show. But to them a "set" could mean they had a Ten in their hand and flopped three of a kind, since having a "set" would've made them a full house there.

I agree with BGinGA that by checking the turn you induced a bet. It would be a much easier fold on the turn if you bet the turn and he raised. I would make a crying call here with the overpair.

I agree with BGinGA that by checking the turn you induced a bet. It would be a much easier fold on the turn if you bet the turn and he raised. I would make a crying call here with the overpair.

In my experience with this field of players (have a fairly significant history) they aren't usually the types to make huge pot sized river bluffs like that. Their river bluffs would be significantly smaller.

So I do feel like I was behind here and the fold was correct. I don't hate a turn bet-fold line, but I felt like if my turn check was going to induce a bluff from this particular opponent, the bluff would be something I would be comfortable calling.

Their huge river bet was fairly clear to me they were comfortable with their hand. 10-x and 99 holdings were certainly in their range in this spot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom