Play a hand with me - 3 handed in the $$$ (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
1st = $310
2nd = $210
3rd = $140

Hero in the SB with 138K
BB 42K
Button 240K

Blinds 1/2K with 250 ante

Button raises to 6K, Hero in SB looks down at :8s::8d:, Hero ????

Short handed strategy threads needs a lengthy package of villain reads and history. Table dynamics and personal image. Villain reads. are proper adjustments being made for three handed play. This is a leveling war more than anything else.

pocket eights is a powerful starting hand in a very short handed game. Aggression is reasonable. But maybe the big blind knows the squeeze play and will try to snap off a blind steal and a discounted call from the BB. I can't make much strategy without more fodder. There are plenty of ways to proceed.

Knowing nothing, raise {to16K} > call >>> fold (never folding). But hero knows a lot, so lets find out what he knows and make a better decision

DrStrange

In response to @DrStrange this is the same chip leader from my previous posts with these notes:

DONKEY
37 off in the blinds check-calls a bet on a 56K two club board chasing gutshot
A8 offsuit called preflop raise OOP
Q9 s00ted on an AK8 flop check-calls a bet?
A4 off limps button, calls half pot bet on a KQ4 flop, minraises turn 4, bets half pot on Q river

The player in the BB I'd rate as a solid TAG

I presumed as much. But the critical information is the last 10 - 20 hands.
Does the button blind steal? Is he raising a quarter of the time, half the time, most of the time or every time?
Is the big blind sophisticated or at least think he is? Has he made a squeeze play today?
People should be playing at least half the hands. Are they?
Are people defending their blinds?
Is the aggression picking up?
Are players adjusting their hand values?
It can be difficult to adjust to three handed poker. Are the players making such adjustments? { including hero }

The BB has an "M" of 10. There is plenty of room to play post flop poker.

I just recently busted the 4th place player with KK against their JJ. They raised, I reraised, they called, flop was rags, they led, I overshoved and they stacked off.

The villian chip leader hasn't been overly aggressive and has folded to aggression more than they should in short-handed play, opening up opportunities to make moves.

That being said, I'd say the raiser has a hand worth raising in this spot, and isn't just trying to take advantage of short handed play by ramping up their aggression.

That being said, I'd say the raiser has a hand worth raising in this spot, and isn't just trying to take advantage of short handed play by ramping up their aggression.

This may betray the result. But I guess I would ask if this statement assumes button is making some adjustment to 3 handed at, or does a "hand worth raising" imply the same range as 6 handed or more?

The villian chip leader hasn't been overly aggressive and has folded to aggression more than they should in short-handed play, opening up opportunities to make moves.

I think I still favor a reraise here unless villian is making almost no adjustment to shorthanded play.

1st = $310
2nd = $210
3rd = $140

Hero in the SB with 138K
BB 42K
Button 240K

Button raises to 6K, Hero in SB looks down at :8s::8d:, Hero calls 6K, bb folds

My reasoning here is that I think the button has a legit hand to raise here, I don't really want to bloat the pot OOP when I'm likely to get looked up and the BB is so much shorter in chips than I am. I figure if I just call the BB might try to jam with a squeeze play here and I can pick it off with some dead money.

Flop: :kc::4c::8h:

Pot: 14,750

Hero first to act and ????

I probably check raise here. I don’t mind leading out to avoid giving the big stack a free card if he’s on a flush draw. But he should c-bet most of the time here. I’m hoping that’s what happens and I get to get more money in.

Button is a calling station. Let's bet 10K and hope he calls.

I would be happy to go for the check raise if I had confidence button bets here. But he seems passive enough not to bet without a good hand. And we know in earlier hands he has called with almost nothing. On a lucky day, Hero gets raised. On a really unlucky day this is set over set.

Go get 'em tiger -=- DrStrange

We have two choices. Check or bet. So the mistakes we could make are checking when we should bet, or betting when we should check. Given the calling station tendencies of your opponent, our most likely mistake is to check when we should bet. Bet.

1st = $310
2nd = $210
3rd = $140

Hero in the SB with 138K
BB 42K
Button 240K

My reasoning here is that I think the button has a legit hand to raise here, I don't really want to bloat the pot OOP when I'm likely to get looked up and the BB is so much shorter in chips than I am. I figure if I just call the BB might try to jam with a squeeze play here and I can pick it off with some dead money.

Hero first to act and checks, since the button raised pre and may have hit this flop and or c-bet. Unfortunately they check.

Turn: :2h:

Hero first to act, pot still 14,750, Hero ????

See. I prob bet a rather large amount. Get the hand over with and at least make the flush pay to see his one last card. I'd bet 24k... Yeah, prob the wrong move, but even if they do call, you can still boat up.

1st = $310
2nd = $210
3rd = $140

Hero in the SB with 138K
BB 42K
Button 240K

Hero first to act and checks, since the button raised pre and may have hit this flop and or c-bet. Unfortunately they check.

Hero first to act, pot still 14,750, Hero ????
I don’t like checking the turn at all, but here we are. You have to bet now...at least half the pot.

1st = $310
2nd = $210
3rd = $140

Hero in the SB with 138K
BB 42K
Button 240K

Hero first to act, pot still 14,750, Hero bets 6K, Villain folds

Went on to get heads-up with fairly even stacks and agreed to an even $260/$260 chop, and took 1st in the headsup battle that ensued afterwards :)

So, same monetary results if you had a) reraised preflop, or b) bet the flop. Unless he had called either one, of course, in which case playing passive (calling, checking) is much worse. There's a lesson in there somewhere for playing vs this opponent next time.

You lost out on some chips by not leading out post flop. With two cards to come villain is more likely to chase and call your bet. Post turn villain is much less likely to call IMO. And if the turn isn't a blank then what are you going to do...say a club??

The consensus is to donk middle set SB vs Button on K84...what?!

I think pre and flop were really standard but turn sizing is light for those stacks and we can bet often after flop checks through. I go closer to 10k

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom