Play a 2nd hand with me on the money bubble (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
6 handed on money bubble of a $40 online tournament. 21 entrants, top 5 get paid (we square up via pp).

The structure of these events is absolutely fantastic, although this is a special holiday event for the 4th so it's even deeper (20k chips with 15 minute blinds). The majority of this field is very soft. Calling stations, payoff artists. There's a couple of decent players, but on the whole most are pretty bad (never saw a J2 s00ted UTG they didn't like)

For the past few weeks I've been bubbling the final table in fields of 20-35 players, so we're feeling great at the final table 2nd in chips.

Button - 14k
SB - 30k
BB - 185k
UTG - 24K
UTG+1 - 59K
me in the CO - 104k

blinds 900/1800 with a 225 ante

Folds to me holding :ac::qc:, Hero ?

EDIT: This is the same Villain from this hand: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/play-a-hand-with-me-on-the-money-bubble.43831/

Here are my notes on this player

DONKEY
37 off in the blinds check-calls a bet on a 56K two club board chasing gutshot
A8 offsuit called preflop raise OOP
Q9 s00ted on an AK8 flop check-calls a bet?
A4 off limps button, calls half pot bet on a KQ4 flop, minraises turn 4, bets half pot on Q river

Last edited:
I'd raise to 6k, hope for the button to jam, and no one to come over the top.

Raise to 6k, call any shove except BB.

I think this one actually happened first.

So you won a couple of pots in the interim?

6 handed on money bubble of a $40 online tournament. 21 entrants, top 5 get paid (we square up via pp).

The structure of these events is absolutely fantastic, although this is a special holiday event for the 4th so it's even deeper (20k chips with 15 minute blinds). The majority of this field is very soft. Calling stations, payoff artists. There's a couple of decent players, but on the whole most are pretty bad (never saw a J2 s00ted UTG they didn't like)

For the past few weeks I've been bubbling the final table in fields of 20-35 players, so we're feeling great at the final table 2nd in chips.

Button - 14k
SB - 30k
BB - 185k
UTG - 24K
UTG+1 - 59K
me in the CO - 104k

Folds to me holding :ac::qc:, Hero raises to 4,000

BB chip leader reraises to 6,200 total, Hero?

Just over 4,000 in the pot. The current style in tournaments is micro raises - if that is hero's preference then T4,000 is a fine raise. Me? I like a bit more meat on my raises. I would have tried 5,500.

Looking at the old villain read, I have to think this pre-flop three bet from villain means business. Still, the price is cheap enough to see a flop and hope for luck.

I vote call but proceed with great care post flop holding less than two pair. I don't care so much if villain out plays Hero for a 10K pot. I only want to avoid getting stacked while having a chance to crush villain when Hero gets lucky.

updated OP with the following:

EDIT: This is the same Villain from this hand: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/play-a-hand-with-me-on-the-money-bubble.43831/

DONKEY
A4 off limps button, calls half pot bet on a KQ4 flop, minraises turn 4, bets half pot on Q river

Button - 14k
SB - 30k
BB - 185k
UTG - 24K
UTG+1 - 59K
me in the CO - 104k

BB chip leader reraises to 6,200 total, Hero?

Call. Play pot control and hope you hit a monster. If not, keep it small and prepare to let it go to wait for a better spot.

Sounds like a super donk post flop. This is going to be fun let’s just call and move to post flop

And if we catch a piece we should be betting. No reason to trap this guy.

Button - 14k
SB - 30k
BB - 185k
UTG - 24K
UTG+1 - 59K
me in the CO - 104k

BB chip leader re-raises to 6,200 total, Hero opts for pot-control, doesn't want to reopen betting, instead taking a good price with a positional advantage and deep stacks, Hero calls.

Flop :qd::6d::4h:
Pot: 14,650

BB leads for 14,650, Hero ????

fold - this is a calling station yet he is betting. Not just a flop bet but also a preflop 3-bet. Sure he could have a weaker hand, sometimes he will. Let him out play us this hand.

The lack of a runner-runner draw matters. Not much of a way for Hero to get lucky - this hand is going to be won by the best one-pair hand.

Yep, I am a chicken. But Hero will have most of the rest of his chips next hand.

DONKEY
Thank you for this update, but:
  • How has donkey villain been playing premium hands pre-flop?
  • How has donkey villain been playing premium and made hands post-flop?
That info seems to be missing. Are you suffering from selective bad-play memory?

Although villain did slow-play flopped trips on two streets in the previous example, I'd like to have more data points here besides just her questionable plays.

Thank you for this update, but:
  • How has donkey villain been playing premium hands pre-flop?
  • How has donkey villain been playing premium and made hands post-flop?
That info seems to be missing. Are you suffering from selective bad-play memory?

Although villain did slow-play flopped trips on two streets in the previous example, I'd like to have more data points here besides just her questionable plays.

Generally speaking, in this field of players big bets = big hands. I haven't seen this player make the min reraise OOP play yet, that was a new one. Now, we also have players in this field who will overplay a hand like AA on a 789 flop and go broke when they shouldn't, because they get married to it.

This particular player the big bet could potentially be a hand like TT or JJ that is figuring I'm on AK and doesn't want me to outdraw on the turn, or it could be a big hand as well.

Fold. I'm with Dr Strange on this one: a 3-bet min-raise followed by a pot-size lead on a flushy board sounds like Aces to me. TPTK might be good a small percentage of the time, but continuing on here sounds like a great way to lose a sizable chunk of your stack with a good second-best hand.

Button - 14k
SB - 30k
BB - 185k
UTG - 24K
UTG+1 - 59K
me in the CO - 104k

BB chip leader re-raises to 6,200 total, Hero opts for pot-control, doesn't want to reopen betting, instead taking a good price with a positional advantage and deep stacks, Hero calls.

Flop :qd::6d::4h:
Pot: 14,650

BB leads for 14,650, Hero calls 14,650. Hero figures his call might slow Villain down on turn (or a scare card could hit that might slow them down) and we can get to the river

Turn: :3d:
Pot: 43,950

BB bets 21,975 (Hero has 83K left)

Hero ??????

Fold. My initial reaction was that you were facing a strong suited Ace hand (maybe AdKd). They got the flush and may be wondering if you could river a house or quads.

I also like the fold on the flop given this particular villain and moment in the tournament.

As played, this is an easy fold on the turn.

It has only gotten worse. Hero has a reasonably robust villain read, I suggest he would benefit from using it. Nothing in the villain description makes me think this is a villain who is taking a Raise / Bet / Bet line with a hand worse than Hero's.

Folding again. Now I don't feel like a chicken -=- DrStrange

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom