PlastiDip Question (1 Viewer)

MikesDad

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an Apache 4800 for a 1000 chip set and I've been reading a little bit about using PlastiDip.
I've removed foam from both top and bottom layers to make room for 2 rows of 5 racks on top of one another..
As a newbie to foam cases and PlastiDip, I have a couple of basic questions that I didn't find answers to in the forum.

My understanding is that PlastiDip is used to firm up the foam to make the racks fit a bit tighter and to increase the
foams lifetime. Is that correct? Are there other reasons?

1. Do you spray all of the foam from inside the case, or is it sufficient just to spray the 2 layers of foam that were cut for the racks?
2. How many coats of PlastiDip should I spray on the foam?
3. If I spray all the foam, how many cans of PlastiDip should I expect to use?

Thanks

My understanding is that PlastiDip is used to firm up the foam to make the racks fit a bit tighter and to increase the
foams lifetime. Is that correct? Are there other reasons?
The other purpose of the PlastiDip is to "fill in" the precut sections of the pick and pluck foam so it stays together longer.

Do you spray all of the foam from inside the case, or is it sufficient just to spray the 2 layers of foam that were cut for the racks?
Spray all the foam. And be prepared to give multiple coats.
How many coats of PlastiDip should I spray on the foam?
I did 4 and I am very happy with how it turned out

If I spray all the foam, how many cans of PlastiDip should I expect to use?
I did a 4800 that is holding 1200 chips with one can. It took the entire can. Seeing as how you will be keeping a little more foam than I did, you should probably have a second can on hand just in case.

1: Spray all the foam from the bottom half of the case, no need to spray the egg-crate foam in the lid.
2: 3-4 coats, be sure to let it dry between coats. And be sure to spray outdoors or in a well ventilated area.
3: 2 cans at least.

1: Spray all the foam from the bottom half of the case, no need to spray the egg-crate foam in the lid.
2: 3-4 coats, be sure to let it dry between coats. And be sure to spray outdoors or in a well ventilated area.
This is my experience as well

I sprayed the foam outside of the case but that did cause warping, probably from the weight of the plastidip or I did my coats too heavy.

Makes a huge difference. Also I suggest to make little blocks the size of racks and use them for fillers when you take a smaller set. plastidip those as well.

Good advice.. thanks
Should I spray top and bottom of each piece? or is doing the top and sides sufficient?

I usually get two cans per case. I lay out each piece on cardboard or newspaper and spray each piece. With my last case after I had a few coats on I just sprayed the rest of the can from much closer to soak the foam a little more. It turned out great. After it all dries I spray the outside edges of the foam or inside of the case with a 3M spray to kind of glue the foam to the edges of the case and keep them in place.

The other purpose of the PlastiDip is to "fill in" the precut sections of the pick and pluck foam so it stays together longer.

Spray all the foam. And be prepared to give multiple coats.

I did 4 and I am very happy with how it turned out

I did a 4800 that is holding 1200 chips with one can. It took the entire can. Seeing as how you will be keeping a little more foam than I did, you should probably have a second can on hand just in case.
Dang you should do a video of this process :) I just got an apache and ordered some racks from justin GB, didn't know it would turn into an arts and crafts project :)

Dang you should do a video of this process :) I just got an apache and ordered some racks from justin GB, didn't know it would turn into an arts and crafts project :)
Give me a few weeks. I just ordered more chips for my semi custom Valentinos from BRProPoker.com. Once they arrive I will be picking up another Apache case and doing this all over again.

Give me a few weeks. I just ordered more chips for my semi custom Valentinos from BRProPoker.com. Once they arrive I will be picking up another Apache case and doing this all over again.
Dude, sweet. Ive considered that exact same thing. Can't wait to see them, and would love to see this case prep process!

Did you end up with those Valentino's? As a visual person I'd be happy to see what you do to the cases. I got my set last week and have my apache case sitting here

On the bottom of the case, I pulled out the sheet of thin soft foam, and replaced with a piece of 1” rigid foam insulation cut to size. I feel it gives a better base than the soft stuff…but i use the 4800 for storage and light transport.
It also gave me a bit more space to fit 1500 chips, 3 rows of 5 racks, without having to force the top closed with matsui-type racks

Did you end up with those Valentino's? As a visual person I'd be happy to see what you do to the cases. I got my set last week and have my apache case sitting here
Good news. They got delivered on Tuesday. Bad news (for you). All I had to do was remove the extra wood piece I had in the bottom of my Apache case and they fit in the same case as the rest of them. I don't need another case.

Good news. They got delivered on Tuesday. Bad news (for you). All I had to do was remove the extra wood piece I had in the bottom of my Apache case and they fit in the same case as the rest of them. I don't need another case.
Grats that's nice!
So is this a preference thing? Can the pick foam be used as is for racks of chips?

Grats that's nice!
So is this a preference thing? Can the pick foam be used as is for racks of chips?
It can, but .........

The whole thing is pick and pluck foam comes perforated to help with the picking and plucking. That leads to weak spots that will take wear unevenly and cause you to sooner or later lose chunks you want. We plasti dip to "toughen up" said foam so normal wear and tear doesn't do any damage.

Bought this alternative at menards. It was 1/3 of the price of plastidip. Seems to be the same.
image.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom