Picked up another set of diamond mold chips today (1 Viewer)

Silver_Fiend

Flush
Reaction score
Found this set posted for sale online and only a short 2 hour drive away, so made the trip today to pick them up.

20210407_141801[1].jpg

8 barrels (25 count) of reds, 3 barrels of green, and a barrel of purples. As your can see its a mix of 3 different hot stamps and apparently 3 different timelines from this mold. 75 of the reds ( CJF ) are a perfect match to the reds in my old Jack Todd diamond set

20210223_092513[1].jpg

Another 75 reds are very close in color and the remaining are noticeably darker and have a smooth face, not the textured face of the others. All the reds and the greens need a little TLC and love but all should be restorable to full glory. Both also look to be from same timeframe. The purples are a sad lot. They all have some serious sun-fade on at least one side. Many are almost white on a side. I polished the face of one of the worst ones back to clean color, but it cant be cleaned inside the molds. I may test that one to see if micro air abrasion can clean the insets without damaging the face. Even if it works, they'll never be perfect but they could be made usable again... if I could find a use for 25 purple in a 2000 chip set.

At least none of them are warped!

So these chips have given me 3 different versions of this mold. I know original seller of this mold was Jack Todd (manufactured by BURT). These chips have a nice face texturing and the bottom of the diamonds are shiny. The Paulson made chips (3rd in line to own the mold, and self manufactured) have a fine texture but the diamonds are dull in appearance. The second owner of the mold was Christy-Jones, and I have to wonder if maybe that is the last type of chip? There is no texturing to the face and in fact feels quite smooth. A third of the reds and all of the purples ( all the same hot stamp ) are of this smooth version.

Does anyone have experience with Christy chips and know if they produced non-textured faces?

Oh, I also have some diamond mold illegals coming in the mail! I'll post those when they come in.

Love this write up! Not sure I can contribute any useful information, but I know that the C&J H&C chips have noticeably sharper and more reflective hats/canes compared to Paulsons. Do you notice a shininess to the recessed area of the diamonds at all?

Love this write up! Not sure I can contribute any useful information, but I know that the C&J H&C chips have noticeably sharper and more reflective hats/canes compared to Paulsons. Do you notice a shininess to the recessed area of the diamonds at all?
Yes, they are shiny but they dont stand out as well because the face is equally shiny. As for sharpness, they aren't as sharp as the JT era. They seem very similar to the Paulsons in sharpness on the mold, but of course have the smoother, shiny mold insets.

Of course, I'm just making a guess that these might be CJ chips. It could just be a later version of Todd, or an early version of Paulson, or late version....

Found this set posted for sale online and only a short 2 hour drive away, so made the trip today to pick them up.

View attachment 672942

8 barrels (25 count) of reds, 3 barrels of green, and a barrel of purples. As your can see its a mix of 3 different hot stamps and apparently 3 different timelines from this mold. 75 of the reds ( CJF ) are a perfect match to the reds in my old Jack Todd diamond set

View attachment 672945

Another 75 reds are very close in color and the remaining are noticeably darker and have a smooth face, not the textured face of the others. All the reds and the greens need a little TLC and love but all should be restorable to full glory. Both also look to be from same timeframe. The purples are a sad lot. They all have some serious sun-fade on at least one side. Many are almost white on a side. I polished the face of one of the worst ones back to clean color, but it cant be cleaned inside the molds. I may test that one to see if micro air abrasion can clean the insets without damaging the face. Even if it works, they'll never be perfect but they could be made usable again... if I could find a use for 25 purple in a 2000 chip set.

At least none of them are warped!

So these chips have given me 3 different versions of this mold. I know original seller of this mold was Jack Todd (manufactured by BURT). These chips have a nice face texturing and the bottom of the diamonds are shiny. The Paulson made chips (3rd in line to own the mold, and self manufactured) have a fine texture but the diamonds are dull in appearance. The second owner of the mold was Christy-Jones, and I have to wonder if maybe that is the last type of chip? There is no texturing to the face and in fact feels quite smooth. A third of the reds and all of the purples ( all the same hot stamp ) are of this smooth version.

Does anyone have experience with Christy chips and know if they produced non-textured faces?

Oh, I also have some diamond mold illegals coming in the mail! I'll post those when they come in.
Quality-wise these are excellent i have a bunch from my dad and i know people that use them in a 4-8 game where all denominations are $4 so they dont even care about color or denom so it works out really nicely for them.

Nice find Silver_Fiend.

Would you mind posting where exactly you found those chips, and anything else you now about their origin? Did the seller put the set together from buying chips on eBay, or did he find some of them locally?

For those of us interested in the history of illegal gambling, knowing where you found those chips might help us triangulate where they originally were used. I agree that they are likely Jack Todd era chips, although the CJF chips might be Christy & Jones.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom