Picked up a 3rd wall case from Michael's (1 Viewer)

atomiktoaster

Full House
Reaction score
Needed a new home for my Iron Bank samples. Plus, they're on sale for just over $15 with coupon.

20150402_140003.jpg

20150402_140024.jpg

20150402_140038.jpg

How difficult is it to insert/remove chips in these? I'm on the fence about getting some - on the one hand, I'd love to be able to display all the cool samples I've collected instead of having them sit in a box, but on the other hand I like having them easily accessible to play with. :)

Particularly when I want to do things like compare molds or just get out some chips of XXX mold to play around with a bit, it's nice to have easy access. Would that still be relatively expedient with the display cases?

They have hinges if they're the ones I'm remembering. Haven't been able to find them in Canada.

The front glass door is hinged and held closed with magnets, and the chips sit on little shelves with a groove. They just lean against the back of the case. The biggest issue with access is that they become unbalanced when the door is open. If you mount to the wall them more securely than just hanging from a single nail (adding 2 3M strips might be enough) you shouldn't have any problems. With my setup, they have a tendency to pivot around the nail and possibly have the chips fall out, unless I steady the door with my left hand.

I have 8 hanging in my game room currently, but have another 8 I could hang if I wanted to (I really like these for the money). They're currently on nails using the supplied jagged tooth hanger in the center of the back. You're problem with these, is once the door opens up, it tilts the case and/or jostles the chips.

You'll need to use something like a Z-bar hanger. I'm looking these myself in order to be able to mount these and open the case for chip rearrangements, etc... Once these are mounted firmly in place, it'll be a snap to open the hinged door and swap out chips. They have a channeled edge on each shelf, that the chips rest in. Very nice for the money!

Hangman_products_Z_Bar_Hanger_mirror_hanging.jpg

I have 8 hanging in my game room currently, but have another 8 I could hang if I wanted to (I really like these for the money). They're currently on nails using the supplied jagged tooth hanger in the center of the back. You're problem with these, is once the door opens up, it tilts the case and/or jostles the chips.

You'll need to use something like a Z-bar hanger. I'm looking these myself in order to be able to mount these and open the case for chip rearrangements, etc... Once these are mounted firmly in place, it'll be a snap to open the hinged door and swap out chips. They have a channeled edge on each shelf, that the chips rest in. Very nice for the money!

I have three soon to be four hanging on these "z hangers" and they are very easy to get in and out of. The provided picture hangers suck if you want to have handy access to your chips. I got my hangers at lowes or menards.

You will want to pre drill your case for the screws on these hangers.

I have four of these cases from sfdisplay. They're the same that Jeff has, but in cherry. Each holds 117 chips and has two jagged-tooth hangers on the back. They're hanging behind my poker table and were susceptible to being shifted by my players or by me when opening the door to change out chips. I anchored them to the wall with four 3-M Command strips for each case. Rock solid for a couple of years now.

Is this the michaels one? For 15 bucks the price is right

I think I'm heading to Michaels this weekend. I've never stepped into that store. Which section would these be in?

I think I'm heading to Michaels this weekend. I've never stepped into that store. Which section would these be in?

There's a pretty big framing section, usually in the back. One of the aisles will have display cases for baseballs and footballs and stuff like that. The "coin display cases" are with those. They're on the bottom shelf at the store by me, and they're shrink wrapped with cardboard protectors on the corners and a graphics sheet under the glass with 8 old coins on it. If there's a couple in stock, check how the front door is centered on the main body of the case. Some of mine were poorly aligned when they screwed in the hinges. The one I got yesterday is fine.

There's a pretty big framing section, usually in the back. One of the aisles will have display cases for baseballs and footballs and stuff like that. The "coin display cases" are with those. They're on the bottom shelf at the store by me, and they're shrink wrapped with cardboard protectors on the corners and a graphics sheet under the glass with 8 old coins on it. If there's a couple in stock, check how the front door is centered on the main body of the case. Some of mine were poorly aligned when they screwed in the hinges. The one I got yesterday is fine.

Thank you.

Holy crap!!! ^^^^. Seeing them all displayed, is making me take stock in my chip nerd-dom. I might have a problem. ;).

And I might see why my wife thinks so too...

Showed my wife, since I got the side eye for going with 3. She says you're a bad influence.

Just remember that you have safe refuge here....

CF0A90BD-BB02-4B1B-9C1A-5F8B711962C4.jpg

Just hung the rest of the display cases. Yes, these retail for $30 each, but can be had for half off with coupon or in store sale.

I now have 16 of these... Overkill?

9718F5FF-0F1D-4804-9193-55AB07613D7F.jpg

ABBFD9BE-1E53-4F96-9763-15EF971E5E30.jpg

B5044890-5665-47C4-A5F2-A4E11E2B8166.jpg

I like this setup. Picked up two of these when someone posted about the Michael's sale. Looks like I have some catching up to do!

Hey Tri, cut a piece of wood to match the distance of back of bracket to the back of frame and attach to the bottom of the frame. When you open the door it won't tilt the case anymore.

I hung an 80 pound art piece on a wall using a french cleat which is pretty close to how you're hanging your chips and did the same thing to the bottom of it as i told you to keep it stable since I live out in CA where we have earthquakes however infrequent.

Hey Tri, cut a piece of wood to match the distance of back of bracket to the back of frame and attach to the bottom of the frame. When you open the door it won't tilt the case anymore.

I hung an 80 pound art piece on a wall using a french cleat which is pretty close to how you're hanging your chips and did the same thing to the bottom of it as i told you to keep it stable since I live out in CA where we have earthquakes however infrequent.

No tilty no more. :).

Using the Z hangers, I get no tilt.

Three? My OCD is going haywire... Need at least four, even numbers. Symmetrical, whatever...
The 1000 year history of the triptych backs up having 3, aesthetically. The bigger issue is that I still have good looking chips hidden in the closet.

Yeah I really like these cabinets. I do need to grab some z-brackets though. The brackets are almost the same price as the cabinets. I might just buy the bigger one and cut it in half to use for 2 cabinets. I am assuming you can cut these brackets in half with a standard hack saw?

http://www.amazon.com/Hangman-Z-Hanger-Mirror-Picture-Hanger-Aluminum-Z-30/dp/B000VW5T1W

I ordered 72" long brackets online, and then cut then up. Four 36" sections and sixteen 9" sections. Lotta cuts, but well worth it. Looks much sharper than using the supplied hangers, and they stay in place when opening the doors to,remove/adjust chips.

Buying the longer sections was far cheaper, but was a pain to cut them all (used a recip saw with a fine metal blade)

I think my brackets came to around $80 shipped, but then again, I had a lot of display cases to hang.

Reactions: 72o
I like the idea of the Z brackets rather then the normal mounting method these use. Might have to pick some of that up once I get these in their final spots at the new place.

You could probably make some french cleats with strips of 1/4" ply or yardsticks from home depot if you can't manage a rip cut. Should be cheaper than aluminum.

You could probably make some french cleats with strips of 1/4" ply or yardsticks from home depot if you can't manage a rip cut. Should be cheaper than aluminum.

Yeah you're probably right. It is pretty easy to just rip a board down to make a cleat myself.

Elaborate, please?

02-wall-rack.jpg

Set saw for beveled cut. Cut board/plywood strip lengthwise to create two identical beveled strips. Attach 1 piece to cabinet and 1 piece to wall and voila. One cut on one board.

72o's bevel method is great. I was thinking about this, which doesn't require anything more than cutting some $1 wood yard sticks (by the paint in HD) to length. The wall is red, frame is black, yard stick sections brown and nails gray. Some glue wouldn't hurt either.

cleat.png

Be sure to bevel the edges, or it will be hard to,get those yardsticks to slide together

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom