Phoenix inspired chip set (1 Viewer)

HughDrackman

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was doing some wishful design the other day, and wanted to share what I came up with.

For some background, I’ve been a teacher at an alternative high school for the past 10 years. It’s a challenging job, but a rewarding one. I’ve seen the toughest, most traumatized and defiant kids walk through my classroom, and I’ve shaken their hands on the graduation stage. So I’ve been wanting to make a chip set inspired by our mascot, the Phoenix.

Our school colors are white, blue, and silver, so I started there with the cash set, then tried to strike a balance of traditional denomination colors with the school colors as I progressed. The inlay is my avatar on this site, and if I were to ever make a run at this for real, I’d need some help in modifying it to include denominations and to match the base color of each chip.

@mattross1313 has already helped me with a ceramic chip design, but I haven’t pulled the trigger on them because money is tight and bills are plenty. These designs would be for a CPC run if I ever have a few thousand dollars just laying around.

Anyway, I submit them for the approval of PCF. Any constructive feedback is encouraged. Cheers!

The cash set. I was thinking .25, $1, $5, and $25
C36B3AD0-23E2-4793-BB0D-6AEFE5E088F3.jpeg

The tournament set. I was thinking $100, $500, $1000, $5000, and $25000.
98FF1DB2-F493-43BB-AA93-A0471FDB450D.jpeg

These designs would be for a CPC run if I ever have a few thousand dollars just laying around.
The (Lxx) usually helps in projecting costs. You are using a lot of expensive patterns, many of which would honestly look better if they were a little less busy. As for the cash set, the frac and $1 need some color differentiation. I wouldn't use the same exact pattern on the $5 and $25 either.

In terms of using the CPC tool, maybe change the background color to grey and turn off where it shows the back of chips.

Just a couple quick thoughts before looking too in-depth. As always, get a color sample too when you can.

Love the story and background, teaching is a wonderful burden.

The 5s and 25s are busy for my taste. You seem to have some size progression from frac to 1, then dump the whole bucket on the last two. Beautiful colors but a fiery red phoenix could be jaw-dropping instead of all the spots.

The inlay background is too cool a colour, being that shade of blue. The Phoenix is reborn from fire (tribulation), so I would recommend yellow-orange-bright red for background, and use the other colours in another way.

Here's my second attempt at both designs. I wanted to simplify some of the denoms, and I like the idea of making them two-sided so I can dedicate one side to value and one side to the phoenix.

Cash Set:
Phoenix Cash Set.jpg

Tourney Set:
Phoenix Tourny Set.jpg

Here's my second attempt at both designs. I wanted to simplify some of the denoms, and I like the idea of making them two-sided so I can dedicate one side to value and one side to the phoenix.

Cash Set: View attachment 1038678

Tourney Set: View attachment 1038679
1. Change the background in the chip tool to grey.
2. Lose DG Saturn 100%.
3. Lose 312 and go with 3916

I like the split of denom and graphic on either side of the chip.
For how this set appears, I don't recommend colour matching the text or graphics to the base colour of the chip.
Consider a light inlay background for the cash set, and a dark inlay background for the tourney set, or vice versa. It gives you an immediate visual distinction between the two.
Those spot patterns on the tourney set are extremely complex, i.e. very expensive, for CPC options. If you're going to do ceramic for this, I would not try to emulate clay spot patterns at all in favour of using the full face for your art. And then come up with a rolling edge pattern that does not necessarily require alignment to either face.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom