Pete Rose Petitions for Reinstatement (1 Viewer)

Should Pete Rose be reinstated by Major League Baseball, and if so, elected to the Hall of Fame?

• Reinstated, voted into the Hall of Fame

Votes: 52 78.8%
  • Reinstated, but not voted into the Hall of Fame

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Reinstated, but not eligible for the Hall of Fame

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave his lifetime ban in place

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Other (Please specify in comments)

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
Dude.... don't get me f*cking started on the hypocrisy of MLB...

- PED addicts with boosted numbers can use said boosted stats to get into the HOF.
- But a guy who had natural sick stats based on a diet of beer and hot dogs can't get get into the HOF, because he had a gambling addiction??

It's total bullshit. One of the (many) reasons I think MLB is run by a bunch of hypocrites.
It's the old curmudgeon baseball writers. They are slowly "retiring." Then, things will change. I mean, Griffey and Jeter weren't unanimous! Idiots.

Jeter didn't deserve to be unanimous, if he wasn't a Yankee nobody would be complaining. Not saying he doesn't belong to be in the Hall, but ESPN had him as their 51st greatest MLB player in history.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/mlbrank100_marchandjeter/derek-jeter-just-top-50-take-rings

I’m not up on Jeter’s career enough to have any sort of an opinion, but i do believe The Kid should have been unanimous and I think it’s the dinosaur way of thinking that is on the way out that kept him from that.

Admittedly though I don’t think it matters much to me and living in Seattle I am probably too biased to even attempt an argument for Junior without just screaming “BECAUSE I LOVE HIM!!!1!1!!1”.

It's the old curmudgeon baseball writers. They are slowly "retiring." Then, things will change. I mean, Griffey and Jeter weren't unanimous! Idiots.
Jeter didn't deserve to be unanimous, if he wasn't a Yankee nobody would be complaining.
Either way, baseball writers view themselves as the gateway to the hall. It’s come out many many times, that someone is voting against joe bob because they didn’t like what joe bob said to them 20 years ago. Or someone is a heathen. Or they knew jim bob was getting in anyways, and didn’t want him being unanimous or higher % then jay bob.

Allowing that dated kind of bs, along with way too many teams openly tanking and cheating concerns leading their yearly topics...Im just amazed that MLB gets enough support from younger fanbases to continue to grow.

Either way, baseball writers view themselves as the gateway to the hall. It’s come out many many times, that someone is voting against joe bob because they didn’t like what joe bob said to them 20 years ago. Or someone is a heathen. Or they knew jim bob was getting in anyways, and didn’t want him being unanimous or higher % then jay bob.

Allowing that dated kind of bs, along with way too many teams openly tanking and cheating concerns leading their yearly topics...Im just amazed that MLB gets enough support from younger fanbases to continue to grow.

or maybe they're only allowed 10 ballot spots, and they figured they'd vote for someone who needs it more ala Todd Helton this year (or possible Clemens or Bonds next year) since Jeter would be getting in anyway.

or maybe they're only allowed 10 ballot spots, and they figured they'd vote for someone who needs it more ala Todd Helton this year (or possible Clemens or Bonds next year) since Jeter would be getting in anyway.
I understand that, and regularly see that as well. I think people can argue for or against, but I don’t have a personal claim.

But yes, saying I won’t vote for so and so because I don’t believe he should be unanimous or before someone else is absolutely bananas. It just reeks of arrogance to insert your name into the history books because of personal opinion on how things should go down, rather than voting as a longtime writer/historian and looking at merits.

edit: I’m a dodgers fan. I may just be extra salty right now about mlb everything.

Last edited:

Jeter didn't deserve to be unanimous, if he wasn't a Yankee nobody would be complaining. Not saying he doesn't belong to be in the Hall, but ESPN had him as their 51st greatest MLB player in history.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/mlbrank100_marchandjeter/derek-jeter-just-top-50-take-rings

Greg Maddux, the best pitcher of the past 50 years got 97.2% of the vote. Roger Clemens, the second best pitcher of the past 50 years got 61% of the vote on his eighth try this year (yeah yeah, steroids I know).

And a closer was the first player to get 100%. It's all so stupid.

I voted keep him out. Gambling was the sacred cow of baseball, the one thing you could not do. It was posted on every single locker room wall, "if you bet on baseball, you will be banned from the game." This was because of the Chicago Black Sox scandal of 1919 (great movie BTW!) Pete lied about this for years and then wrote a book about how sorry he was. Great player, but I don't think the other players even want him in the hall.

Regardless, I think the steroid guys should get in because it was not illegal and the teams, the media, the league, and the fans loved the action and clearly knew what was going on.

Voted to re-instate and let him in the Hall of Fame. Betting on games in my mind is different then throwing a world series. I believe Rose admitted that he only bet to win but, I can't prove or disprove that. Just remembering.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom