Permanent “wishlist” thread to help with chipping FOMO? (1 Viewer)

Isn't this what an auction basically ensures, that whoever really wants it will have the opportunity? Or is that frowned upon because it will potentially go over the current market value and comes down to who will pay the most?
Then you have established a new market value

Isn't this what an auction basically ensures, that whoever really wants it will have the opportunity? Or is that frowned upon because it will potentially go over the current market value and comes down to who will pay the most?

I obviously think hitting the wanted ads as a seller would be the best practice before posting, but ultimately it seems there are already enough avenues to make things fair if a seller takes it upon themselves to go that route.
That's the rub. Auctions give more chance, but it's always going to cost more.
If you want to give everyone a chance at a fair price, follow BGinGA. Here's a rack. $300. 35 people interested, drew #12, congrats #12 rack is yours for $300. Easy peasy.

If you want to give everyone a chance at a fair price, follow BGinGA. Here's a rack. $300. 35 people interested, drew #12, congrats #12 rack is yours for $300. Easy peasy.
I'm a firm believer in the dibs lottery sale format. Seller gets his listed price, and everybody interested has a chance at buying the chips.. Win-win.

Another sales listing format I think is interesting, reasonable, and fair is the declining-price dibs sale. Item is listed for a specific price at a pre-announced time, with pre-scheduled price drops (preset amounts over preset times, i.e. $10 every 15 minutes, etc.).

First person to claim the item at any given time or price gets it. Priced too high for you? Wait until it drops to your acceptable level, but risk somebody else picking it up for a bit more before the price drops. Seller retains the right to list a floor price (minimum amount willing to accept), or cancel the sale if no buy offer has been made.

An alternate version is to allow multiple people to claim the item at any given price point, including the initial listed price -- essentially turning it into a dibs lottery sale (see post #34) with a moving target declining price.

The dibs lottery sale format eliminates the advantages of fast internet connections, quick trigger fingers, and people with no life outside the PCF classifieds. :)

Although 'Dutch auction' can also refer to other bidding processes as well.

Yes, though the most common definition fits what you described.

If one were conducting one here, would an ordinary Sale thread be the way to go, or an Auction thread? I would tend to think the former.

I’m still looking for some of these.

D7DF9A40-F9CB-48DA-A0D8-FF7B5F0FCD0F.jpeg

Just sayin’.

I recently posted a sale thread with multiple lots. Maybe I underpriced everything, because everything sold in less than 24 hours.
I don't know. I've found in my own buying habits, there's sometimes a fine line between a snap-buy price and the price where I'd pass.

Totally unnecessary?
Probably. Worth asking the question about, certainly.

Wishlist thread. Members would post just once to establish their list of items they are seriously looking for. Each person could edit their post when their needs change.
Some members already use their signature blocks as these types of 'wanted lists'. (But I think full signatures might only show up on desktop computers, and not handhelds, IIRC.)

But here’s the point: Several people lamented that they weren’t logged in when the sale was posted, and missed out on items they badly wanted.
People can do more than just lament.
-They can post a 'pron' thread showing their set, other chips, memorabilia, etc. and/or make a case for why they want the chips they missed out on.
-They can be active in the forums, get to know others (online or even at local games/meetups, if possible), and share the passion for the hobby and maybe they gain some inside favor by just being part of the community
-They can ask you to check if the buyer (if they're unknown) would give them permission to contact them to make an offer/counter offer.
-If they get to the thread before the thread closes, they can post a 'backup, just in case' type post to let both parties know of their interest in the chips, and make their case known. (I think I've been on both sides of that before, I've released 'dibs' to a backup poster and had others here release their 'dibs' to me as a backup poster.)

The sigs are of limited value in this context because (to my knowledge) they are not searchable. That would be a handy feature (search signatures only).

People can do more than just lament.
-They can post a 'pron' thread showing their set, other chips, memorabilia, etc. and/or make a case for why they want the chips they missed out on.
-They can be active in the forums, get to know others (online or even at local games/meetups, if possible), and share the passion for the hobby and maybe they gain some inside favor by just being part of the community
-They can ask you to check if the buyer (if they're unknown) would give them permission to contact them to make an offer/counter offer.
-If they get to the thread before the thread closes, they can post a 'backup, just in case' type post to let both parties know of their interest in the chips, and make their case known. (I think I've been on both sides of that before, I've released 'dibs' to a backup poster and had others here release their 'dibs' to me as a backup poster.)

All of these favor insiders, longer-tenured members, the socially facile, the extroverted, and the persuasive.

That's an observation, not necessarily a criticism.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom