Permanent “wishlist” thread to help with chipping FOMO? (2 Viewers)

Taghkanic

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I recently posted a sale thread with multiple lots. Maybe I underpriced everything, because everything sold in less than 24 hours.

But here’s the point: Several people lamented that they weren’t logged in when the sale was posted, and missed out on items they badly wanted.

Other times, you see people posting Wanted ads for months. Then a seller posts the exact item that person has been begging for, and someone else scoops it up.

Such is life... What can you do... Happens all the time... Gotta stay on top of things... Right? Right. Or, maybe it doesn't have to be that way.

The idea I had was a Wishlist thread. Members would post just once to establish their list of items they are seriously looking for. Each person could edit their post when their needs change.

Sellers could then search that specific thread before posting sales, and contact the Wishlister first before selling. It would not be obligatory, but it would be a nice courtesy for buyers. And sellers might make quicker sales.

I often do searches before selling to see what the going rates are, etc., and occasionally have found buyers directly this way without having to post a Sale thread. But it’s easy to miss requests.

Anyone think this would work? Totally unnecessary? Law of the jungle—he who dibs first wins? Just a thought, mainly arising from the regrets of those who missed out on my own sale thread.

I do really like the idea of this, but I think missing out on great sales is just the nature of the beast.

As a seller, I guess the only way to avoid people being dissapointed on missing out, would be to create a For Sale / Intent thread announcing that you're going to be posting a large lot in, for example's sake, 48 hours' time (much like @Spinettis Gaming do). People can't post dibs in the meantime, but at least they know when to tune in to see what's available.

Personally, however, I actually really enjoy the buzz of the chase that comes with refreshing the New Posts thread and happening to be the first to stumble on a great new sales thread!

Last edited:
I benefit from the instant dibs model, but I admit that it sucks for others and is unfair.

A recent sale said that the chips had preference to someone who already had a set and needed them for completeness. It's not exactly permanent dibs like a wishlist... But it's somewhere in between?

I do really like the idea of this, but I think missing out on great sales is just the nature of the beast.

As a seller, I guess the only way to avoid people being dissapointed on missing out, would be to create a For Sale / Intent thread announcing that you're going to be posting a large lot in, for example's sake, 48 hours' time (much like @Spinettis Gaming do). People can't post dibs in the meantime, but at least they know when to tune in to see what's available.
I also like the draws when there is a lot of interest in a set, a nice alternative to auctions for those without deep pockets!

I was also thinking it would be cool to have one off Pokerstars tournaments to determine who gets to buy, add a little skill (or my case luck) to find out who could buy. Probably too difficult to organize though.

I was also thinking it would be cool to have one off Pokerstars tournaments to determine who gets to buy, add a little skill (or my case luck) to find out who could buy. Probably too difficult to organize though.
Perfect!

I like this idea. People can show pictures of proof also that they are indeed looking for that chip to complete their set. Rather then just posting a wish list.

I also think this would be a great resource for the sellers.

If a thread is kept, I think the people should post what they are willing to pay for said item. Just my opinion (and it may be an unpopular one).

The only downside is that pricing in this market fluctuates wildly and quickly... an offer posted today will probably be invalid in 6-10 months time. And if this thread becomes many pages long and years old, well, you get the idea.

If a thread is kept, I think the people should post what they are willing to pay for said item. Just my opinion (and it may be an unpopular one).

Yes...so besides the horrible auction format...we're gonna add pre-auctions..I suggest using Bitcoins

This is exactly what we DONT need
Investing in relationships (yes, you will need to learn how to share), good standing and trying to communicate besides 'disb' & 'send my your PP' will in the long run be more profitable than spending 24h/24h in the classifieds.
Most of the best stuff doesn't even hit the classifieds

[edit: typo]

Last edited:
So... The classifieds... Arnt... The classifieds? How complicated do you need to make a sale for a seller? They just want to sell stuff and be done.... It's a market, all ways to sell should be promoted. But adding a system to sell something isn't going to help much IMO.

I mean, I think the easiest way to get items you want is a properly bumped and tagged WTB post. As a seller, I'll always message them first if I know. Tell your friends on the site what ya want. @RocAFella1 tags me on stuff he knows I have or might want, and I know @Saoliver or @FordPickup92 would snap buy something if I couldn't.

As a seller, sell. As a buyer, use the resources we have to get said items.

And keep on chipping on.

You know just a thought, I've been out bought many times on chips I wanted or needed by others. Even recently... it happens. I try to look at it as part of the build. The waiting, enduring the downs during the ride, hunting for what I need and meeting good people through conversations is what builds the set. If everyone used a database and got what they needed right away it would be less nostalgic to me. Plus un-established people would be more likely to just come buy chips and leave, what incentive is there to stay around? I dunno in theory it sounds good, but in reality I think it would depress our community

not sure if you lose the ability to edit a thread after a certain amount of time

Isn’t this just a big wanted thread? I see no point. If you’re about to sell something, just check the wanted ads before posting it.

The idea is cool, but a lot of it we kinda cover together. Today alone I asked two chippers what particulars they were looking for so I could help keep an eye out for them, and a ton of people know the more obvious connections between chippers and certain searches. I mean there's even chips I would love to have that I'll make sure someone else gets first to finish off a set or rack.

The question is, who would something like this benefit? I would answer your less established chipper, who has less relationships and isn't ubiquitous on the site. So here's where I think it falls apart in theory, people are still just going to glaze over those people's wants/needs in a long winded must have list. Your well known chippers don't need to add to the permanent list and are still gonna get helped regardless, and the list would just die soon after inception.

I think it's funny that noones mentioned this, put it in your tagline! I mean, does anyone not know that I want their custom sample set?

The idea is cool, but a lot of it we kinda cover together. Today alone I asked two chippers what particulars they were looking for so I could help keep an eye out for them, and a ton of people know the more obvious connections between chippers and certain searches. I mean there's even chips I would love to have that I'll make sure someone else gets first to finish off a set or rack.

The question is, who would something like this benefit? I would answer your less established chipper, who has less relationships and isn't ubiquitous on the site. So here's where I think it falls apart in theory, people are still just going to glaze over those people's wants/needs in a long winded must have list. Your well known chippers don't need to add to the permanent list and are still gonna get helped regardless, and the list would just die soon after inception.

I think it's funny that noones mentioned this, put it in your tagline! I mean, does anyone not know that I want their custom sample set?
my eyesight is bad, so I didn't see your tagline

At my age I have prob remembering a few minutes ago, especially if several post something about the same thing.

As I said, just a thought. There would be no obligation for sellers to check the Wishlist; just a resource and maybe a nice courtesy.

Been on both sides of this, as a seller and a buyer. As a seller, I try to keep an eye on Wanted posts. And to search before posting a sale. But it’s easy to miss some posts.

As a buyer, I’ve definitely had the experience of having a Wanted post up for weeks, bumped appropriately, only to login at 11 pm to see the exact item I’d requested had sold minutes before.

It’s a problem, or just a fact of life, or both. I do think as a seller I would value the resource.

re.: Taglines: I think people stop reading them at some point.

Can you search on taglines only? At all? That would do it without having to create any new resource.

re.: Taglines: I think people stop reading them at some point.

Can you search on taglines only? At all? That would do it without having to create any new resource.
Agreed — I'd say that the tag lines are generally too small for me to have ever taken notice of.

I'm not likely to sell anything anytime soon, but when I do, I'll ask people who want to buy to post "I want these", and then after 24 hours I'll choose a buyer by cutting cards.

As a buyer, I'd love it if others did this too. Since it's already luck-of-the-draw as to whether or not you happen to be checking the classifieds when someone posts their sale, might as well give everyone the same chance instead of favoring those who have the free time to be checking the site continuously.

But here’s the point: Several people lamented that they weren’t logged in when the sale was posted, and missed out on items they badly wanted.
Oh I was logged in all right, and following it for months.
Just never got up the courage to pull the trigger on about 10,000 Protege's when I had the chance.
......biggest chipping regret EVER, missing out on the finest compression clay set ever made. (convince me I'm wrong)

Last edited:
Isn't this what an auction basically ensures, that whoever really wants it will have the opportunity? Or is that frowned upon because it will potentially go over the current market value and comes down to who will pay the most?

I obviously think hitting the wanted ads as a seller would be the best practice before posting, but ultimately it seems there are already enough avenues to make things fair if a seller takes it upon themselves to go that route.

Isn't this what an auction basically ensures, that whoever really wants it will have the opportunity? Or is that frowned upon because it will potentially go over the current market value and comes down to who will pay the most?

I obviously think hitting the wanted ads as a seller would be the best practice before posting, but ultimately it seems there are already enough avenues to make things fair if a seller takes it upon themselves to go that route.
That's the rub. Auctions give more chance, but it's always going to cost more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom