Pedestal Bases... What do you think of these? Worth it? (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building a new lighted rail table, and have a local builder with a CNC machine, who is willing to cut all my lumber, pre-assemble the rail, and have everything else ready to upholster and assemble. He's cutting me a huge deal. However, this didn't include the bases.

I initially told him that I'd find something on Craigslist (such as a double pedestal table that has a crappy top, but decent base). Such can normally be found from time to time for around $100. However, now is not one of those times, and I've found nothing in over a month of looking.

My builder has these style of bases, which I think would go well with my table, and he's wanting $200 for them. This would come with everything shown (including the metal trim), except not painted/finished. I was already planning to paint the underside of the table, so finishing these (painting black, black edge banding) isn't a big deal.

What do you think of these bases, and are they worth $200?

Pedestal%20Base%20Front.jpg

Pedestal%20Base%20Side.jpg

For reference, I'm including the table felt design:

FT%20Table%20Mock%209b.png

They would probably look pretty nice. Does the metal just wrap around an inch on the "inside" (side that would be facing each other)?

Ya. I think it just wraps an inch on the inside edge that faces each other. Benefit of these bases is the hollow center, that would allow routing of power cords for the lighted rail.

Now, if only I could hook up some USB charging stations underneath... lol OK, I need to slow down!

Benefit of these bases is the hollow center, that would allow routing of power cords for the lighted rail connected to the battery and chargers located within.

^^FYP. Add vents to the inward-facing sides.

Get 'em.

These would look great with the top design. I vote do it. If the silver metal doesn't wrap all the way around the base, does the side facing in on the base (the flat side) look finished enough? There wasn't a good picture of that view.

The one on the sawhorses in background looks wrapped all way around. Either way I say they are worth it and match up beautifully.

Thanks. I do not believe they wrap all the way around. However, I think I'll pull the trigger on these since this is going to be a permanent fixture in my basement. Worth the money in the long run... Just not sure how I'll justify this to my wife, lol...

Thanks. I do not believe they wrap all the way around. However, I think I'll pull the trigger on these since this is going to be a permanent fixture in my basement. Worth the money in the long run... Just not sure how I'll justify this to my wife, lol...

Better than hookers and blow? ;)

Ok, so I had an idea... I was thinking that I would edge band the base's exposed plywood with a black melanine. What do you all think about wrapping a used mountain bike tire around the edge, stapling it in place, etc... THAT would be the bottom of the base? Thoughts?

tyre-image-Ardent_l.png

I-see-your-Zipp-coffee-table-and-I-raise-you-my-mountain-biking-coffee-table..jpg

Awesome. Whitewall tire would be even better.

e22bfc73ebc1ece60423e1dfe6522cff.jpg

Another attempt at someone online... I'm just using the tire on the base...

What is the height of those bases? They look tall like something for a BJ table.

What is the height of those bases? They look tall like something for a BJ table.

Well, the supplier is a well known poker table builder locally (has built over 1000 tables). He knows I'm building a poker table, and appears excited for this project. I'm just assuming that the bases will be poker table height? All I know is that I'm excited about this table!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom