PCF Pipe and Tobacco (2 Viewers)

NiceShot

Flush
Reaction score
I have been told I would make a good old man. I bought this in Italy during my honeymoon and enjoy it between cigars. I didn't see pipe in the forum search so thought it might be a topic others may be interested in.

20170604_164955.jpg

Anyone smoke pipes? Preference in pipe type? Tabacco?

I have been considering getting a churchwarden to get my gandalf on. I heard it's a nice cool smoke. Welcome suggestions on brands/pipe makers.

Last edited:
The Mr. Brog Churchwarden, pecan 150, showed up today. They took the whole Gandalf thing to a level I didn't expect. I was just looking for a decent Churchwarden around $100 that didnt have broken stem issues which happens with most of the cheaper pipes. I also like a bowl made from briar. Luna I read also makes a good custom churchwarden, but I chose Mr. Brog out of pure laziness since I could get it at my door in two days.

20170608_141404.jpg

20170608_141440.jpg

20170608_141748.jpg

20170608_141608.jpg

I haven't smoked it yet. Will update. Just holding it I can tell I will be moving very little to get some smoke.

I have been considering getting a churchwarden to get my gandalf on. I heard it's a nice cool smoke. Welcome suggestions on brands/pipe makers.

I smoke occasionally, and am a fan of Stanwells. I really like their Silkebrun line and I'm a classic billiard shaped pipe guy.

And I'll be honest, I really dig aromatic tobaccos. @One Eyed Dollar got me onto Hobbit's Weed, but the Denver shop that made it has closed down due to new burdensome tobacco blending regulations. However, their recipe has been leaked online since their closure... http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2017/01/hobbits-weed.html

I smoke occasionally, and am a fan of Stanwells. I really like their Silkebrun line and I'm a classic billiard shaped pipe guy.

And I'll be honest, I really dig aromatic tobaccos. @One Eyed Dollar got me onto Hobbit's Weed, but the Denver shop that made it has closed down due to new burdensome tobacco blending regulations. However, their recipe has been leaked online since their closure... http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2017/01/hobbits-weed.html
What hobbit weed?! Okay I need to get some of that in a gandalf pipe :).

First impressions, smooth draw, nice and cool. I had to stop myself from huffing on the thing too quickly and the bowl got a little hot. Pleasant to sip on. All I need is more tabbaco and a rocking chair.

Last edited:
The weather was pretty nice today, about 80 and cloudy, so I took a walk at lunchtime around the little lake nearby and smoked my pipe. It was a nice stroll. One day I was walking around the lake smoking Hobbit's Weed, and this older lady off to the side was giving me a look, which I thought was a disapproving stare. But then she called out, "that smells great! You don't smell that very often anymore."

I have been told I would make a good old man. I bought this in Italy during my honeymoon and enjoy it between cigars. I didn't see pipe in the forum search so thought it might be a topic others may be interested in.

View attachment 102048

Just bought my third Stanwell #45 (my favorite) straight billiard pipe off eBay. Flame Grain style. I have two other estate #45s, but this one is brand new in the box from 2008, which means it was one of the last batches Made in Denmark before the moved their fabrication to Italy. Not telling the lady what I paid for it, because she'd kill me...

@NiceShot ... what's that bent billiard shape # in your OP? I've been checking out the Stanwell #139 Royal Danish just to mix things up. Curious about your take on them.

I smoked my pipe a lot last year while trying to quit cigarettes (not successful, still smoking). Really enjoyed it, and my wife likes it a lot more than cigs. Got many approving comments on the smell while on our bike trip as well.

Sadly, pipe tobacco is literally 10x more expensive in communist Canada than in the USA, so I don’t really smoke it now. The owner of the smoke shop in Paducah, KY did tell me he’d mail me some, but I’d prolly have to pay duty if customs found out what was in the package

How’d I miss his thread?

I have several pipes but usually will use a leather wrapped longchamp.

What tobaccos you guys enjoy? I really like solani tobaccos. More aromatic

I’m a sucker for aromatics... probably because it reminds me of that sweet smell from the house next door when I was a kid. I remember riding my bike down the street and seeing/smelling the old bloke smoking his pipe on his porch every evening, as he sat in his rocker. Always loved that pipe tobacco smell.

I haven’t really enjoyed the Latakias I’ve tried. Maybe they’ll grow on me over time.

Right now I’m heavy on the Backwoods (original); it has a great flavor and stellar room note. I just can’t put it down.

I’m also a sucker for almost any Capt. Black blend, and Lane 1Q.

Last edited:
I expect the Dunhill will come back - it has gone before. But I have 10 tins and 2lb bulk of Nightcap just in case it doesn't!

I suspect the real value in that box are the 30 tins of McClelland.

Want to sell me a tin of Nightcap?

tobaccotinforum.com?? :p

If pipe smoking wasn’t bad for me, I’d totally do it.

US Surgeon General report “Smoking and Health” (No. 1103)*
On page 92 the report states that pipe smokers who inhale live as long as nonsmokers and pipe smokers that don’t inhale live longer than non-smokers.

Better get started so you can extend your lifespan ;)

*Granted.. it's from 1964

US Surgeon General report “Smoking and Health” (No. 1103)*
On page 92 the report states that pipe smokers who inhale live as long as nonsmokers and pipe smokers that don’t inhale live longer than non-smokers.

Better get started so you can extend your lifespan ;)

I've never heard of a pipe smoker that inhales.

*Granted.. it's from 1964

ROOOOOFL

Last edited:
Now that summer is almost here, I'm hoping to get a few smokes on the pipe again. Nothing beats sitting outside on a beautiful evening having a good smoke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom