PC Build Help (1 Viewer)

Damn, it looks like I put this off too long, trying to find a video card this past week at a semi-reasonable price has proved about impossible. The GTX 1660 you had posted @Jonesey07 is running like $500+ now.. .

Damn, it looks like I put this off too long, trying to find a video card this past week at a semi-reasonable price has proved about impossible. The GTX 1660 you had posted @Jonesey07 is running like $500+ now.. .

Do NOT pay $500 for a GTX 1660

The new RTX 3070 is MSRP $499 (or higher depending on model) and competes closely with the previous gens RTX 2080 Ti which was a $1,200 card

I have an EVGA 3070 on the way if you're looking, but guessing you're looking for something in a lower price range

You may luck out and find a deal on facebook marketplace, craigslist or eBay. Actually, you probably could've snagged a black friday or cyber monday deal on a midrange card

Let me know your budget and needs, I'll see what I can find

Do NOT pay $500 for a GTX 1660

The new RTX 3070 is MSRP $499 (or higher depending on model) and competes closely with the previous gens RTX 2080 Ti which was a $1,200 card

I have an EVGA 3070 on the way if you're looking, but guessing you're looking for something in a lower price range

You may luck out and find a deal on facebook marketplace, craigslist or eBay. Actually, you probably could've snagged a black friday or cyber monday deal on a midrange card

Let me know your budget and needs, I'll see what I can find
Hahaha yeah I'm very much an amateur on this but even I know that's waaaay too much. I had one in my cart on Saturday for $250 but it was gone by the time I checked out. Felt like I was in a chip room sale lol. Ideally I'm looking for something very similar to what Jonesy put together, looking to spend $1000-$1200 max. Decent entry level gaming system for the kids. The new 3070 would be great but I know those are tough to find and I figured would likely be over my budget.

Edit to add - here's what I was looking at, very similar to what Jonesy had, was still looking through all the various case options: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PcdKcT

Last edited:
Hahaha yeah I'm very much an amateur on this but even I know that's waaaay too much. I had one in my cart on Saturday for $250 but it was gone by the time I checked out. Felt like I was in a chip room sale lol. Ideally I'm looking for something very similar to what Jonesy put together, looking to spend $1000-$1200 max. Decent entry level gaming system for the kids. The new 3070 would be great but I know those are tough to find and I figured would likely be over my budget.

Edit to add - here's what I was looking at, very similar to what Jonesy had, was still looking through all the various case options: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PcdKcT

Only thing I'd definitely change is get a B550 board instead of B450. Price difference should be negligible but I think you'll find better compatibility if you decide to bump up to the new Ryzen 5000 series chips sometime in the future. Hell, you might be able to find an X570 board with more features in the $150 price range as well.

We have this one for our media PC and haven't encountered any troubled

MSI PRO X570-A PRO AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

I don't have any experience with Cougar cases so can't comment on that one.

Oh, IF you can afford to bump yourself up to the Ryzen 3700 you'll benefit from a third more cores than the 3600 for not much more money, which should help future proof your build a little better.

Three years ago when I built my quad-core Intels we were stoked, now they feel sluggish in a number of things and I feel like you'll experience that with the 6-core in a few years time so might as well pay a little extra and bump to 8 cores.

Man miners sweeping em all up again with BTC mooning. I actually mine with my gtx 1070 on the side. Profit like 80 cents a day haha

Man miners sweeping em all up again with BTC mooning. I actually mine with my gtx 1070 on the side. Profit like 80 cents a day haha

Pancake_head.jpeg

;) :LOL: :laugh: you're operating about 10,000' above my head here with that kind lingo, I'm just looking for a system for the kids to play some cool games on lol

View attachment 587749

;) :LOL: :laugh: you're operating about 10,000' above my head here with that kind lingo, I'm just looking for a system for the kids to play some cool games on lol
Haha simplified version is that people can use graphics cards to get Bitcoin. So they buy up as many as they can and use them to get Bitcoin. End result is no one can get graphics cards unless they way over pay. This happens anytime the price of Bitcoin gets high.

Haha simplified version is that people can use graphics cards to get Bitcoin. So they buy up as many as they can and use them to get Bitcoin. End result is no one can get graphics cards unless they way over pay. This happens anytime the price of Bitcoin gets high.

It's not just miners. There's a shit-ton of people scalping cards because they know there's high demand and low supply, they did the same with the new Xbox and PlayStation launches as well, they know there's money to be made.

I haven't gouged my friends, and tried to sell most of the tech I got to my friends, but I did manage to sell a $1,500 graphics card to a guy locally for $1,900

Some of the scalpers were able to get boxes of cards in and flip them for profit pretty easily. eBay is kinda sucky for it though because they take 10% off your final value (including shipping I believe) and then Paypal gets its 2.9% and then you still run the risk of mailing it out, having the buyer dispute the transaction and they keep the card and get their money back too.

Nice rig...but you will remove that lower cushion soon ;)

I guess you will love a nice mechanical KB and corded game mouse too.

What's wrong with the cushion? It's been comfortable so far.

I'm still using controller for my multiplayer games so it's worked out so far. Using M&K for Cyberpunk but I haven't played in a while.

Enjoyed reading this thread, as I am consider building a PC. Going to take my time and try to find deals ... and it’ll be a while before I can get my hands on a graphics card at retail price.

That said, any thoughts on the Core i7-9700K for $220?
Currently on sale at MicroCenter. I know this isn’t the latest and greatest Intel processor, and was only second best - but in terms of performance to price, is this a good value and a good CPU for what would ostensibly be a gaming machine? I’d like to pair with a 3060ti whenever available.

I am a complete n00b at PC building.

Enjoyed reading this thread, as I am consider building a PC. Going to take my time and try to find deals ... and it’ll be a while before I can get my hands on a graphics card at retail price.

That said, any thoughts on the Core i7-9700K for $220?
Currently on sale at MicroCenter. I know this isn’t the latest and greatest Intel processor, and was only second best - but in terms of performance to price, is this a good value and a good CPU for what would ostensibly be a gaming machine? I’d like to pair with a 3060ti whenever available.

I am a complete n00b at PC building.

The i7-9700k is a solid chip. But the problem is that Intel chips tend to be on sockets/motherboards that get outdated fast, providing little upgrade opportunities, compared with AMD which usually has multiple generational support over different motherboard versions

Intel is supposed to have some new chips dubbed "Rocket Lake" releasing in the 1st quarter of this year, so that will likely change the pricing landscape even further

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom