Paypal fee Question? (1 Viewer)

nitzilla

Full House
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Sorry for the noob post, but want to check something....
When you say "Pay via paypal (buyer pays fees)" how does that work?
I know PP charges the seller ~2.9% + some change, but how does the buyer pay it.....
Say you want to buy $100 worth of something, so you should really send $~103.00, but then PP would charge more for the extra $3. Is it just a close approximation to the "total with fees", or is there a better way to pay with fees included?

So far I've always paid by FF, so it hasn't been an issue, but I just want to know for future reference. :)

Thanks in advance
nitzilla

Looking forward to responses here as well. IIRC there is an option of picking up the fees as a buyer when paying for goods and services with a credit card - it has been a while since I've done this so it may be incorrect.

You have the concept down with your example. With the 2.9% + the other charge paypal has most people say it equates to 3% of the total so if the sale price was 100 you'd pay 103 like you mentioned. After paypal takes its 3% on the 103 the seller would receive $99.91 which in most eyes is close enough to the original amount they were wanting. Doing FF is a good way to avoid those pesky fees but some buyers aren't comfortable with that so doing it the conventional way is a safer way for them.

As far as a better way to avoid the fees I don't think there is a way unless you do it as FF. If someone knows of a way using the conventional payment please post up.

It's a little bit of math:

Y = Seller's Price
X = How much you need to send to cover Y + pp fees

X = (Y+0.3)/0.971

So if you need to cover $100 + pp fees, you have to send X = (100+.3)/0.971 = $103.30*

*note this is assuming you're dealing with something like the classifieds here, whereas those selling chips would be considered small merchants, so the pp fees are 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom