Paulson vs classic poker chips (2 Viewers)

DC007

Pair
Reaction score
what do you guys think about CPC vs Paulson? I can't decide if I should piece a set of Paulsons together or just buy the rounders chips from cpc. All feedback is much appreciated.

If you like the design of the rounders, i would say go for them. CPC chips are generally considered to be more durable than paulsons, they will be brand new, and if you ever need to add on or expand denominations they should be available. Paulsons are the superior chip for sure, but finding a mint set, in the quantities you might need will take some effort, and a lot of $$$$.

That’s what I’m seeing. I think I’m going to get some samples of the CPC’s and see how they are in person. Thanks for the reply.

Can never go wrong getting samples, the rounders are fine chips. If you ever decide to get a custom CPC set get the color sample, how the chips appear in real life is different from most monitors/phones.

I'd highly recommend getting samples of the sets you're interested in. It's important to know how they look and feel.

what do you guys think about CPC vs Paulson? I can't decide if I should piece a set of Paulsons together or just buy the rounders chips from cpc. All feedback is much appreciated.
Do Paulson ever come in a 43mm size?

Why’s that?

Because customization gives you a unique opportunity to design a chip that has meaning to you, as well as being of the highest security when it comes to hosting games.

Of course. IHC (Inverse Hat and Cane, where the bottom of the hat faces outward instead of inward) mold chips are 43mm.

Yes. Paulson chips are made in multiple sizes, including 36mm (mostly tournament solids), 39mm (various molds), 43mm (mostly high-value cash chips), and a few larger sizes (47, 48, and 50mm).

I prefer the feel of Paulson over CPC. Totally subjective, you're choice. If you don't mind seeing the brass flecks in the edges of your CPC chips then you'll be fine.

Paulsons are the superior chip for sure,
For sure?
Absolutely not.
Paulsons have more and better clay colors, for sure. That’s about the only “for sure” I’d concede.
Paulson and CPC clays feel a bit different, to the experienced hand. Seems like more people prefer Paulson clay over CPC clay, but I’m not sure how much of that is honest evaluation and how much is bandwagon. Ignoring the heavier, softer leaded clay that Paulson stopped using 30 years ago, I think the two clays are closer than most people want to admit. But general consensus is that the CPC is a bit harder and wears slower.
As far as mold goes, 90% of the Paulsons out there are on the RHC mold, which some people like, but probably a lot more people don’t care for it, and many of us flat out hate it. CPCs are available on like 15 different molds, all with different characteristics.
CPCs can be produced with shaped inlays, and on many of the molds, they’ll be textured. Paulson inlays are only available in the shape of round, and if you want textured inlays, you’ll need a time machine.

I go on this rant about once a month, and I have no plans to stop. You can point to positives and negatives with each brand, but saying that Paulsons are for sure the superior chip is flat out ignorant.

They do, but because they are typically higher denominated chips that were made in lower quantity they are generally significantly more expensive than 39mm. There may be some exceptions, but you are looking at the >$10 per chip range.

I’m not a expert by any means as far as compression molded clay but from what I’ve felt and handled; Paulsons win on all points over CPC except that cpc can be customized. They feel superior they sound superior, they’re colors are FAR superior.
This is not saying cpc is bad by any means, but I don’t think cpc can compete unless you talk about customs which also will cost you a shit ton of money if you want nice spots even if you’re skilled and creative. The LVL 1 spot chips are $2 a chip almost and you get a chip that really don’t bring that much out in terms of design. Yeah that’s my opinion

For sure?
Absolutely not.
Paulsons have more and better clay colors, for sure. That’s about the only “for sure” I’d concede.
Paulson and CPC clays feel a bit different, to the experienced hand. Seems like more people prefer Paulson clay over CPC clay, but I’m not sure how much of that is honest evaluation and how much is bandwagon. Ignoring the heavier, softer leaded clay that Paulson stopped using 30 years ago, I think the two clays are closer than most people want to admit. But general consensus is that the CPC is a bit harder and wears slower.

Agreed for sure.

As far as mold goes, 90% of the Paulsons out there are on the RHC mold, which some people like, but probably a lot more people don’t care for it, and many of us flat out hate it. CPCs are available on like 15 different molds, all with different characteristics.
CPCs can be produced with shaped inlays, and on many of the molds, they’ll be textured. Paulson inlays are only available in the shape of round, and if you want textured inlays, you’ll need a time machine.

Good point. For me in terms of look/feel/sound: THC > CPC (in general/most molds) > RHC

I go on this rant about once a month, and I have no plans to stop. You can point to positives and negatives with each brand, but saying that Paulsons are for sure the superior chip is flat out ignorant.

I went from CPC with my first clay set to various Paulson sets (RHC, THC, CardPip) to TRK and now I am full steam ahead into the custom CPC direction.

I’m not a expert by any means as far as compression molded clay but from what I’ve felt and handled; Paulsons win on all points over CPC except that cpc can be customized. They feel superior they sound superior, they’re colors are FAR superior.
This is not saying cpc is bad by any means, but I don’t think cpc can compete unless you talk about customs which also will cost you a shit ton of money if you want nice spots even if you’re skilled and creative. The LVL 1 spot chips are $2 a chip almost and you get a chip that really don’t bring that much out in terms of design. Yeah that’s my opinion

At todays Pualson THC prices, CPC custom sets L5-ish are cheaper. Most common Paulson spot equivalents are within CPC L1-L5.

But yeah, you do have some people that go bonkers with the extreme spots. But those certainly arent a necessity.

Paulson Chips are my favorite chips from feel, coloring, and weight and I imagine a lot of people have Paulson’s as their #1. I would recommend you go with Paulson’s over CPC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom