Paulson? set with Hot Stamped Initials and Low Denom's (1 Viewer)

Radams1970

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Picked up a 500 Chip set (less 1 white and 1 red) set today and was hoping to get some more information on possibly the age and any other cool information on them.

The Initials are either RTF or RJF. Not sure. I'm assuming these are THC Paulsons. The set came in a custom built case. The lady I got them from didn't have much to say other than her dad played a long time ago.

They're a bit on the dirty side and wouldn't even begin to think about cleaning them up.

I'm not interested in selling but it'd be nice if anyone could place a value on them just to see how good a deal I got on them!

Thanks for any help.

2022-08-27-18.27.jpg
2022-08-27-18.26.jpg
2022-08-27-18.36.jpg
2022-08-27-18.29.jpg
2022-08-27-18.28.jpg
2022-08-27-18.28.20.jpg
2022-08-27-18.24-2.jpg
2022-08-27-18.24.jpg
2022-08-27-18.25.jpg

Those are TH&C palulson

The blue are TRK

I’d 100% hand clean those if I got them

Done carefully you won’t damage the stamp

Given they have some fractionals is good for the value $1-2 each I’d say

Last edited:
The TH&C chip monogram is definitely RTF.
1661734602905.png

They were made by Paulson some time after 1974, as the short cane version (SCV) of the TH&C did not exist before then.

The small crown DFG chips were ordered from T. R. King by Dan Jeffries, 2450 Sawtelle, #135, Los Angeles, California, on 12/19/1984. 400 chips total, three colors, of which 180 were dark blue. A home game set.

Last edited:
The TH&C chip monogram is definitely RTF.
View attachment 977033

They were made by Paulson some time after 1974, as the short cane version (SCV) of the TH&C did not exist before then.

The small crown DFG chips were ordered from T. R. King by Dan Jeffries, 2450 Sawtelle, #135, Los Angeles, California, on 12/19/1984. 400 chips total, three colors, of which 180 were dark blue. A home game set.
Thanks so much for that info @Jeff in Iowa. I've only have two of the TRK chips but it's still cool to know the name Dan Jeffries.

Appreciate the knowledge on the SCV as well. I'm def a noob on most poker chip related stuff but I def recognize the THC when I see it!

Any info on the Case? Again, I'm assuming the original case.

Thanks again!

Any info on the Case? Again, I'm assuming the original case.

It's fairly typical of a case that were sold with chips whem Paulson was selling to the public, but maybe before they had their brick and mortar stores. I have a 300 chip version, myself.
Later cases had stained wood and were felt-lined, and the chip tray was removable.

Those are TH&C palulson

The blue are TRK

I’d 100% hand clean those if I got them

Done carefully you won’t damage the stamp

Given they have some fractionals is good for the value $1-2 each I’d say
I'll take the under.
I appreciate that fracs are worth more, but these are also monogrammed, so I think that kills the value of the denominations (unless you find somebody with those initials.) And given that there aren't any exotic colors there, and that it isn't a PCF approved breakdown, I'd keep it right around a buck a chip.
But I'm picking nits. Great find!

Is it blasphemous to consider getting the set milled and adding a custom labels?
It's not any more blasphemous than milling any other chips. And what I was trying to say above is that those are probably worth about the same as starbursts, which people mill all the time (unless you can find somebody named RTF.)
But it IS worth repeating that even though they're boring white and even though they say RTF on one side, you do have a rack of Paulson dimes there, which are pretty darn rare.

When I was in college, a popular major was Radio, Television, and Film, aka “RTF,” which was nicknamed, “Rather Than Fail!”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom